Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Comments

• Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thats a trap!
    Two companies that I approached did not ask for any 'contributions'. Another one did.
    What if you can not afford to go ahead, when you are told of the total cost? Would they refund the 'contribution' ?!
    For work such as this, it is normal procedure to get three quotes. Make sure that the quotes are comprehensive and cover all of the work and materials; and include details of warranties.
    If a company refuse, there are many others you can go to.
  • Hello

Can someone advise me who are recommended installers in the Huddersfield area. I seem to have people knocking on my doors on a monthly basis.

Is there a website I can find out who is part of this scheme and get quotes from them? I just dont like the hard sales push from the door canvassers.

Also what happens to the info on my pension? Do they check with the Dept of Work Pensions? I mean am I allowed to get multiple quotes because as each time I will give the same information and would that look like fraud if they keep on checking that I am on Pension Credit?
  • We have never taken advantage of anything like this before. Our boiler is 21 years old it broke down in September. My husband is out of work I am working but had my hours and wages cut earlier in the year. No savings no loan available. We decided to apply thru an online link. They were on the phone before I had even finished filling in the form. Explained our situation and was told we qualified and put me thru to my local installer. British gas, who booked an engineer. We had to wait 8 weeks. He arrived, asked to see the necessary paperwork and said we didn't qualify as we were £100 over the limit and promptly left. What they failed to say at the enquiry stage was it is based on your total earnings for the previous tax year and not your current circumstances. We are now left with no heating or hot water with two kids at home. Total waste of time, we haven't heard of anyone who is yet to qualify
  • JOHNT wrote: »
    Hi, I notice that the free boiler grant seems to be for a replacement boiler, what if this is your first ever boiler? I have just had gas connected to my house is their anything I can do to help with the cost of installing gas central heating :p

This was me 2 & half years ago. Tried to get Green Deal from a scheme set up by the council, but the money they wanted up front I could have just gone private in the first place. Either that or they made a massive mistake with my quote.
  • I have 2 retired friends who are financially very comfortable and both have second homes that they rent out. For a short time both had tenants claiming benefits and both had brand new, good quality boilers fitted free of charge under this scheme. In both cases those tenants moved on fairly soon after. Whilst I accept that they legitimately took advantage of the available funding I can't help feeling that this isn't what the government intended and I know of another case of someone who doesn't quite satisfy the financial requirements of the scheme and is frequently spending money keeping an old boiler going because she can't afford the capital to replace it. This scheme needs a review in my opinion
  • Bigsystem wrote: »
    I have 2 retired friends who are financially very comfortable and both have second homes that they rent out. For a short time both had tenants claiming benefits and both had brand new, good quality boilers fitted free of charge under this scheme. In both cases those tenants moved on fairly soon after. Whilst I accept that they legitimately took advantage of the available funding I can't help feeling that this isn't what the government intended and I know of another case of someone who doesn't quite satisfy the financial requirements of the scheme and is frequently spending money keeping an old boiler going because she can't afford the capital to replace it. This scheme needs a review in my opinion

Just like everything in life. If you are on benefits you can get anything. If you are struggling to make ends meet on a low wage you are entitled to nothing.
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 November 2016 at 11:36AM
    After reading Which? reports, I wanted a Worcester-Bosch Boiler.
    I emailed [EMAIL="service-enquiries@uk.bosch.com"]service-enquiries@uk.bosch.com[/EMAIL] and was put in touch with
    Energy Saviour
    Unit 30, The Business Village,
    Wexham Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL2 5HF
    01753 521 755
    [EMAIL="info@energysaviourltd.com"]info@energysaviourltd.com[/EMAIL]
    www.energysaviourltd.com

They are honest and knowledgeable.
    I am in West Sussex but they came here to inspect and give a quote.
    Quote was comprehensive way below that from others.
    Not likely to rip you off.
  • My Baxi solo 3 PFL 30 boiler was installed in 2003 and has stopped working. I made an application over three months ago in July through my energy supplier E.ON under the ECO scheme and have twice been through the assessment and survey procedure. I was told I qualify for a new boiler but they rang last week to say they don't know when they can do anything, because they have such a long queue and asked if I would like to cancel my application and try somewhere else.
    I tried sending this message to energysaviourltd.com but it wouldn't send and I tried phoning but just get the answer machine.
  • I have just been accepted for a new free boiler. Today I had a phone call saying that if I pay my contribution of 1505 pounds up front today or tomorrow then a guy will come out the next day to view the job and a boiler will be installed in roughly 2 - 3 weeks. I am on pension credit and at 67 my health is not the best with arthritis and fibromyalgia and diverticulitis. I have been without heating and hot water for a week and a half now but am managing.

I asked about a breakdown of costs and got an email saying
    Eco Funding £641.00,
    Install Cost £1,535.00,
    Shortfall £1,072.80 incl VAT,
    Extras: Vertical flue incl VAT = £432.00
    If you add the shortfall and extras your total contribution is £1,505.00

How am I supposed to get that sort of money at short notice? At the moment I can manage but if I can not get the money together quickly am I just going to end up a statistic once temperature falls?

• i thought I'd share my experience. i apologise for the fact it's dry, but it's not a very exciting tale!I rang the Energy helpline, was told that only SSE were matched with me and they sent off the referral. SSE contacted me, gave me details if their service partner D. J. McGough. I rang them, left a message and they rang me back to arrange an energy efficiency survey.
    Man came out, surveyed house, checked documents, told me I'd hear the results in the following week.
    Company rang me to say I was eligible for a boiler through affordable warmth (An Idealogic 35), But that there was a £150 shortfall. I paid that, they booked a technical survey of the house for two weeks later. Very nice man from Sheffield came down and gave me lots of advice.
    The following week D J McGough rang to give me an installation date of the 25/11/16.
    Two men arrived shortly after 8, really nice blokes, very professional and friendly, system drained and boiler out by 9:25..... the only problem being there was no new boiler. The way McGough have it set up, a courier delivers the boilers instead of the fitters bringing it with them. A very daft system as when they rang to find out where it was, it was the other side of Birmingham!. After many phone calls and news that the boiler wasn't due until 16:30, through went to plumb centre and bought one. Within an hour and a half of it arriving I had heating and hot water.
    Only after I left dud I discover that they'd fitted an Idealogic 30, not the 35 stated. Rang the office but they had closed.
    Monday this week I rang to report the 'wrong boiler' fact. I was told they'd look into it and ring me back. No call back happened so rang late Monday and was told that the Heat output of the 30 and the 35 were the same, that it would only affect the hot water. I stated I'd been told I'd be fitted a 35 and as it had 12 rads running off it I felt the 35 was more appropriate. (Given the fact that a 35 had been taken out). At time of writing I'm still waiting for the promised callback regarding an engineer coming out to do a heat loss survey.

So overall a good result, but watch this space...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback