Resignation / Notice Advice?

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If she had been paid for holidays she had not yet accrued, he was just following normal practice.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ignoring the histrionics and somewhat suspect shenanigans....

Confirming dates starting and leaving a company IS a reference.

In these days of employees taking companies to tribunals on the flakiest of reasons, that's all a lot of companies feel comfortable to publish.
  • pmduk wrote: »
    If she had been paid for holidays she had not yet accrued, he was just following normal practice.

I was told by the woman in HR she had accrued them and had more to take
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    I was told by the woman in HR she had accrued them and had more to take

So its just he said she said?

Considering none of you are willing to take this man to task about his illegal work practices and assault, its no wonder he continues to do so...
  • So its just he said she said?

Considering none of you are willing to take this man to task about his illegal work practices and assault, its no wonder he continues to do so...

maybe once i get out....but right now i've got a mortage to pay for and a daughter to feed....
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    The potential employers who are interviewing you may be sympathetic to your current situation. You'd need to gauge that in the interview depending on your rapport with the interviewer. You don't want to sit there moaning about your current employer in an interview, that doesn't bode well with interviewers, but the subject of why you want to leave your current job - or why you are applying for a new job - may very well be discussed. And if the interviewer opens the door on that line of conversation then feel free to be brutally honest. You may find that notice periods and references become slightly less important to your prospective employer, especially if the company you're seeking employment with have established employee wellbeing programs and conduct themselves professionally.

Unfortunately there are still dinosaurs within many industries who act the way your bosses do. They're slowly but surely being eradicated.

I wish you the very best with your interviews.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Hi All,

I work for a bit of a rogue company with a tyrant as a Chairman. I'm making moves to leave the company.

I've got a few interviews lined up and a regular question is what is your notice period. In my contract it says 1 month. Normally I would always honour that and work the month. But I have been advised by people who have worked here far longer than I have that I may not get paid for that month. He has a history of ripping people off last minute.

I have also recently found out that this company do not offer references, only acknowledgment of dates of employment. I have been advised that the best thing to do is simply work to the end of any given month and resign with immediate affect once i've been paid.

Can anyone advise me on this? Is this a bad idea or sage advice?

I'm also concerned on how it may come across to potential employers. I'm basically saying i'm happy to walk out of my job, and I cant get a reference.

Trust me, if you met the chairman you would have no problems leaving him in the lurch. In fact thats exactly what the person before me did who's role i filled.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

It's often quoted that a company won't sue a former employee for not giving correct notice but I know of one case on these boards, admittedly many moons ago, where the poster was being sued. Now you can take the risk that your employer won't sue you but nobody can give you the assurance that you won't be the case that they decided to make an example of. Only you can decide whether its worth the risk.

As for not being paid, well there's always the court system to claim for unpaid wages.

As for not saying anything about the assault I have two things to say to you
    1) if not you, who? if not now, when?

2) next person could really suffer - what if that guy you mention had a heart attack from the shock of having been attacked (ok a little dramatic but not exactly a stretch of the imagination is it?)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    The op has suspicion they won't get paid if they resign.

They have two ways to mitigate this in advance.

Resign the day their pay hits their account.
    Owe the company holiday.
    After they have to take legal action to recover monies due.
  • fatrab wrote: »
    The potential employers who are interviewing you may be sympathetic to your current situation. You'd need to gauge that in the interview depending on your rapport with the interviewer. You don't want to sit there moaning about your current employer in an interview, that doesn't bode well with interviewers, but the subject of why you want to leave your current job - or why you are applying for a new job - may very well be discussed. And if the interviewer opens the door on that line of conversation then feel free to be brutally honest. You may find that notice periods and references become slightly less important to your prospective employer, especially if the company you're seeking employment with have established employee wellbeing programs and conduct themselves professionally.

Unfortunately there are still dinosaurs within many industries who act the way your bosses do. They're slowly but surely being eradicated.

I wish you the very best with your interviews.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I think this is the way i'm going to go with it. I've got an interview next Thursday and my first impression of them is that I think I will be able to be quite open and honest about it. But like you say, i will have to judge that in the moment.

And with regard to your comment about dinosaurs, that is exactly what they are. They are all past retirement age and their offspring should be taking over the business.......but they just can't let it go....

The commercial director even gets paid cash in hand!

• As for not being paid, well there's always the court system to claim for unpaid wages.

As for not saying anything about the assault I have two things to say to you
    1) if not you, who? if not now, when?

2) next person could really suffer - what if that guy you mention had a heart attack from the shock of having been attacked (ok a little dramatic but not exactly a stretch of the imagination is it?)

I appreciate your reply but I dont want to have to start court proceedings and all the cost and palaver that will entail. I just want to get a new job and move on. Focus my time and efforts on that.

Similarly I don't want to run to the police and go through all that rigmarole. The two involved have been with the company a lot longer than I have. I want to make a move to a new job and get on with my life. Put this place behind me and let them get on with it. I have a young family and i'd rather my time was spent focusing on them and their needs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure