PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 1st January 2018

Comments

• YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all

atb sending you a big squishy supportive hug. Hope it all gets resolved soon x

Paid stuff done. More paid stuff to do. Spent a silly amount on steak for DH and the teens for tea, everyone a bit glum about getting back into the daily routine and I know that DS1 cant afford to go out this weekend so a treat is needed. I am also hoping that if we have lots of cheap teas with an occasional expensive tea thrown in it will keep them all happy.

Hope DH is Ok Dizzy.

So, very quick hoover around, one load of washing over airer, another load in. Kitchen tidied and sink bleached. Bathroom swished and loos cleaned.

Oooh and someone posted about bullet journals, I have just properly discovered bullet journalling and love it.

I need to work. Bah.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone
    Not had time to read posts since I posted last but I just wanted to say that the bathroom has been cleaned to a inch if it's life and its so clean I don't want to use it now!!!!
    Right off to do some desk work after I make a coffee to keep me going, but I will need to borrow the shredder from dd1. This thread has got me fired up and I feel so much better for doing it.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• The fridge has been pulled out, the back is now cat tumbleweed free, the floor swept and the insides systematically removed.

Things acquiring sentience have been removed, every drawer cleaned in the bath and the source of the leak was indeed the drainage hole at the back being blocked, but further down than usual - full credit to Himself for suggesting a cable tie might be suitably long, narrow, flexible and non damaging enough to poke down there in the absence of the Bosch-recommended solution of a net curtain wire (or a pipecleaner). And he joined two up so that we didn't then have to work out a way of removing a short cable tie from blocking the drainage tube :). I lay full blame at the feet (roots?) of an errant spring onion that had welded itself to the back of the fridge.

Cleaned the whole inside, the door and seals whilst I was there, lined the drawer that actually has veggies in it with kitchen roll and it now looks very clean and very empty. All I need to do is buy a smallish freezer now and keep the posh fridge.

He's just gone out to find something for dinner, having informed me that I need to give him meal plans for each week in future. I hate the idea, it's like giving a child a list of chores to complete (that won't be done properly because the reader can't follow written instructions). And I'm capable of thinking up something to cook once I'm in the kitchen staring in the cupboard. I suppose if I buy a new freezer, I can stock it with ingredients and make sure when he overcaters that things are frozen in portions.

Bah. Humbug.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • roundtuit wrote: »
    Wow - that is a serious amount of money _pale_

I've just WUDUPA whilst concocting a pasta dish for myself. That's the first time I've done anything like that for years - concocting that is, not WUDUPA. :D I usually grab something ready made from the freezer, heat it up and eat it, but, today, I boiled pasta and made a 'sauce' using a tin of tomatoes and a tin of sliced mushrooms - which I liberally coated in pepper. It wasn't great but it was edible. I need to learn portion size when cooking pasta :eek: and my 'sauce' was too wet: I've had to change my top as I didn't think to wear a tea towel as a bib :o. But I had a go - and next time it'll be better (and there'll be less pasta!)

So that's the paid stuff and the dailies done. And Day 3 of healthier eating: tick. Also today I brought in the bin and recycling boxes, cancelled my hair appointment tomorrow and rescheduled it in 5 weeks time...my hair has just grow to a length I like so I didn't want to pay to have barely anything taken off the ends :money: , and took my dad his birthday card and present - he's 83 years young today :T

Have a good evening.
    Rxx

Handful of dried pasta is roughly a portion, two for when you're not having bread or salad/lots of veg with it. Use tomato puree rather than a tin of chopped next time and drain, then dry the mushrooms off in the pan before adding anything else (such as a little bit of chopped/crushed garlic, chopped onion and a little bit of oil - if you're using fresh mushrooms, put them into the oil with the onion and add a tiny splash of water if everything looks too dry). Add puree - a very large blob, proper tablespoon size, at least three soupspoons of puree, if not six - and stir well. Bring up to heat, let bubble if it still looks a bit wet (if it looks a bit dry but not burning, don't forget there will still be some moisture from the pasta), at the last minute, chuck in some torn up herbs if you like them, drain the pasta and then stir it through. The sauce should cling to rather than immerse the pasta.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
  • roundtuit
    roundtuit Posts: 3,992 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 January 2018 at 6:51PM
    Hello :wave:

That's the paid stuff done for the week. And I'm not starting the weekend with a kitchen full of recycling to be sorted and pots to WUDUPA - which, as planned, is going to free up time tomorrow for more decluttering (I'm actually looking forward to it :D )

Spuds are scrubbed and baking in the oven, beans decanted into a pan ready to be heated, that'll be tea sorted. Earlier today I found myself looking for a recipe for tuna pasta bake and sourcing / pricing up bakeware - I then turned to my colleague and said 'What the beep is going on? Who am I turning into?' She laughed and said 'You're going to be a domestic goddess' :rotfl: If I am it'll be thanks to you guys :T (but I'm not holding my breath!)

Honey Bear, froddington I'm looking forward to hearing about your successes as we turn our homes in to places we can truly relax in. :beer:

Hugs, spoons, sticks and posi-vibes heading flywards

Rxx

ETA Thank you Jojo - that's really useful as I haven't a clue how to make these things. I'm going to order a Mr T delivery this weekend so I'll get the ingredients and have another go.
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • MinnieMousesMummy
    MinnieMousesMummy Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January 2018 at 8:26PM
    Well, I didn't have a very productive day, as had a hospital appointment and then went shopping for back to school/uni stuff. I have managed to get a few things done.

Monday - New Year's Day

Tuesday ~ Kitchen and Living Room
    Wipe/scrub sink
    Move clutter so you can vacuum under it
    Vacuum and wipe (if needed) sofas
    Dust any areas below eye level
    Dust anything above eye level (if safe to do so)

Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing

Check fire alarms are working
    Remove and wash bed linen.
    Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
    Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
    Put all the ironing away that was done over the past few days.

Thursday ~ Childrens/spare rooms
    Work out finances for DH for January/February (work in progress)
    Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Sort through a box of toys/shelf/cupboard see if you can fit in some of the christmas stash
    Tidy a chest of drawers
    Vacuum, even if it means kicking all the mess into a corner heap!
    Binbag Dance.. fling those broken things and empty packaging!
    Wash windows and sills, and curtains and blinds!
    Make sure games are in boxes and books are straight on shelves
    Dust all the light fittings

Friday ~ Bathroom and study/pc area
    Declutter floors and chairs and pile all the paperwork in one heap
    Clear desk of papers and junk.. give it a good wipe
    Wipe mouse, keyboard and polish screens while pc runs defrag.
    Declutter 50 emails, 5 dead links and any unused programs.. make backup disc of pics etc.. just in case!
    Scrub bath, loo, sinks, showers
    Wash shower curtains/mat etc that are grotty
    Clean paintwork and shine mirrors
    Make room in the bathroom for your new christmas smellies! and get them installed
    Clean radiators.. don't forget the back (sock on a stick/coat hanger!)
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It hasn't been too bad an afternoon. I've been setting myself a task a day that won't make flying onerous but will ensure I work through all those extra little jobs that need doing and get left until they're a frog. Today it was to wash the vacuum cleaner's filter and dehair the roller. Can't think why I left it until last. Before that I also:

- washed the kitchen floor
    - made Jamie's (cherry) ice cream to keep OH happy because he's been whinging we'd run out of homemade stuff and much as I love cherry jam I was apparently never going to eat it,
    - turned the double around for an arrival on Sunday,
    - did most of the filing which was getting out of hand (hurrah!)
    - dsyoned the bottom layer,
    - and wrapped OH's presents and wrote the card.

OH is mumbling along to Suzi Quatro who is squawking out Devilgate Drive. I saw her in 197 ... mumble mumble mumble the day it got to #1 in the Great Hall at Exeter Univiersity. She was a bit chuffed, to say the least.

Kelpie doesn't like being left alone downstairs after having to spend too much time on his own over Christmas but he's so relaxed in the evenings it turns out I can spend an hour or two in my office without him minding. Bliss. I'm a bit tired of having to work sitting on the sofa with my work on my knees, which I've been doing for 18 months.
    Better is good enough.
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Evening everyone - I confess to having had a very lazy day today :o although I did put the rubbish out and did one load of washing. Also put dates in my calendar (which finally arrived this morning!).

Welcome to nannyg, katto, PrincessMP and Wishing

atb - hugs; hope you're feeling a little brighter xx
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    How does freedom feel Frodders? Hope you've enjoyed the day xxx

Thanks Dizzy - tbh it's a bit strange and I feel as though I'm bunking off! Still not into any sort of routine though so that is my aim for next week.
    roundtuit wrote: »
    Honey Bear, froddington I'm looking forward to hearing about your successes as we turn our homes in to places we can truly relax in. :beer:
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Roundtuit and Frodders, I think we're all in a Challenge of our very own. Ahhhh. I amazon'd all my textbooks Frodders - and welcome to the world of not working M-F during the day. It won't be long before you wonder how you ever managed to fit working in

Thanks - I will have to work again at some point but it's nice to know I can have a few weeks off! Will look at Amaz0n for the books.

HB and Roundtuit - I really, really must get this house sorted and, if I can do a decent amount in the next few weeks then I can get people round to give estimates for my new bathroom and / or kitchen. We CAN do this (but I will need your [STRIKE]nagging [/STRIKE]encouragment :o:rotfl:
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • MrsChaos
    MrsChaos Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Monday - New Year's Day
    Schedule time with DS2 and his calendar
    Hoover any areas in dire need - on DS1's list for tomorrow
    S&S toilets and sinks if required
    Tuesday ~ Kitchen and Living Room
    Wipe/scrub sink
    double check your fruit bowl
    Wednesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing
    HH tidy
    27 fling boogie time
    Thursday ~ Childrens/spare rooms
    [STRIKE]Bath - in the morning[/STRIKE]
    HHC in DS2's room
    Vacuum- DS1 tomorrow
    Binbag Dance
    phone dentist
    phone car place
    take little cat to vet's (she has a croaky voice)
    Friday ~ Bathroom and study/pc area
    Scrub bath, loo, sinks, showers
    Empty and wash out bins

Work was fairly painless (health & safety training) and OH came into town with DS2 to meet me. Boy had been for a hair cut and we had another failed attempt at finding school shoes for him. Will have a look online now, although I don't like buying shoes this way at all. 4 humans and 3 furries fed and now chilling. I'm going to knock a few things off my list in a minute.
  • Evening everyone - I confess to having had a very lazy day today :o although I did put the rubbish out and did one load of washing. Also put dates in my calendar (which finally arrived this morning!).

Welcome to nannyg, katto, PrincessMP and Wishing

atb - hugs; hope you're feeling a little brighter xx

Thanks Dizzy - tbh it's a bit strange and I feel as though I'm bunking off! Still not into any sort of routine though so that is my aim for next week.

Thanks - I will have to work again at some point but it's nice to know I can have a few weeks off! Will look at Amaz0n for the books.

HB and Roundtuit - I really, really must get this house sorted and, if I can do a decent amount in the next few weeks then I can get people round to give estimates for my new bathroom and / or kitchen. We CAN do this (but I will need your [STRIKE]nagging [/STRIKE]encouragment :o:rotfl:

From experience of both being the one not working and from living with somebody who isn't, I'd really recommend, particularly as you've been in such a timetabled environment for so long, that you draft out a tiny, tiny schedule for yourself.

Maybe, depending on whether you are a morning person or dragged yourself out of bed every day, setting an alarm for what you feel to be a civilised hour - for me, it's either 10am for a lie in or 5am as I love the very early mornings?

Then curtains/blinds open, window or back door to let in some fresh air and daylight, a nice cuppa and breakfast whilst you think about what you're going to be doing today. Yes, Flylady can help, but that might end up a bit restrictive/you feeling as though you're behind if you do something else on a couple of days.

I try and do all the going out stuff early so that I'm back in the house by lunchtime - and rarely attempt cleaning if it's after noon, just because I seem to find it more rewarding to do it first thing, as then I've got the rest of the day to do other things.

Without any plan at all, it's easy to find that nothing ever happens.

From the point of view of having to live with Himself, he's a s*d for languishing in bed all day and then it being too dark, too cold, too late or any combination of the above to do anything other than watch TV and annoy me. It very nearly ruins every week off I have, as I'm left rattling around by myself, creeping about so as not to wake him, going out without him or controlling an urge to chuck a bucket of cold water over the bed and swear profusely.

However, when I'm back at work, he wakes up in the morning and at least makes me a coffee, so he's up. Because I insist on opening all the curtains and blinds, there's daylight flooding in, he gets dressed and there's a good few hours of him being up, even if he does skulk back to bed. He's more likely to do that if he's put the TV on downstairs first thing, as he will sit down when I leave and get sleepy again, rather than if there's a radio on, which seems to encourage him to get up and do something.

I'd also suggest scheduling two days a week minimum where you go out, whether it's shopping, a hobby or something else, it's too easy to slip into not leaving the house and therefore not getting as much fresh air and daylight; like it or not, being stuck with playground duty means you were outside for more than if you didn't have to.

Other than that, remember that you don't have to spend your days fuelled by stress, half cups of tea and the occasional biscuit stuffed down whilst trying to avoid another learning walk 'oh, I saw you eating at your desk. It's not appropriate/professional': - sit and enjoy your lunches. Have lots of things with peanuts in them, lots of stinky foods, be confident that there will be decent coffee and a decent clean mug whenever you reach for them and enjoy wearing non tailored trousers, tops that expose the collarbones, skirts that do not end on the knee, shoes that are not black and capable of taking polish, trainers and, when summer hits, spend plenty of time in the garden with a Pimms whilst wearing shorts and strappy tops. And if you like, dye your hair a ridiculous colour, wear far too much eye makeup, neon nail polish and swear like a trooper.

Because you can.

:D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family