IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Court Claim Form - Advice on how best to proceed - interesting situation!

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,223 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had read this thread back in February, and re-read it again from scratch this morning. I am as a result on my second bag of popcorn. :D

Acidmonkey, you are to be commended on your valiant efforts so far. Not only have you won your original case but you are seriously helping the fight against the residential private parking cause with your counterclaim.

I can't add anything to the excellent legal points made by you and others, but I am still rooting for you.

I also now cannot see any reason why you shouldn't fit a collapsible locking bollard to your parking space as long as the lease does no prohibit it. You do know of course such a bollard can be raised and locked if a car park without your permission, provided such device was installed before the parking event. A small warning sign to this effect, and that the space is being monitored by CCTV (even if it isn't) could also be added.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • safarmuk
    safarmuk Posts: 648 Forumite
    Bumping. @AcidMonkey (if still around) - did you ever get a date for your counter claim hearing (so people remember the original claim by the PPC was dismissed as Glads didn't file their paperwork)?
  • Acidmonkey
    Acidmonkey Posts: 40 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2017 at 2:47PM
    safarmuk wrote: »
    Bumping. @AcidMonkey (if still around) - did you ever get a date for your counter claim hearing (so people remember the original claim by the PPC was dismissed as Glads didn't file their paperwork)?
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    I had read this thread back in February, and re-read it again from scratch this morning. I am as a result on my second bag of popcorn. :D

Acidmonkey, you are to be commended on your valiant efforts so far. Not only have you won your original case but you are seriously helping the fight against the residential private parking cause with your counterclaim.

I can't add anything to the excellent legal points made by you and others, but I am still rooting for you.

I also now cannot see any reason why you shouldn't fit a collapsible locking bollard to your parking space as long as the lease does no prohibit it. You do know of course such a bollard can be raised and locked if a car park without your permission, provided such device was installed before the parking event. A small warning sign to this effect, and that the space is being monitored by CCTV (even if it isn't) could also be added.
    Yes I think the OP has done all the paperwork correctly and paid the correct fees.

What did you counterclaim for in the end Acid? Was it damages for breach of quiet enjoyment, trespass plus DPA breach? Can you put your Defence and counterclaim up here for us to see?

Parties can only be added with permission, so I think formal permission still needs to be given. I'd expect the first order from the new court to deal with this by making an order joining the MA formally as 2nd Defendant and making the usual directions on the counterclaim as it is now the only claim - so WSs and documents to be served on x date, a trial bundle to be prepared by the claimant in the counterclaim (that's you Acid - it's a bit confusing, everyone will continue to refer to you as the Defendant, but you are now really the Claimant!) and a trial date.

It's a good job you kept on top of this because some numpty at the court hadn't noticed your counterclaim/Pt 20 application (in spite of you paying the £255 issue fee plus the counterclaim fee....). So assume that the staff at the new court are equally as numpty-ish and do call them to make sure they understand that no directions have been made in the counterclaim yet and that the 2nd Defendant needs to be formally joined as a party.

There's a chance the court may list a separate hearing for the issue of the joinder of the 2nd D to be determined, but there's no reason why this can't be dealt with on paper.

Ok, wow this has been going on for some time.

So, just to update you all. (not sure why I haven't been getting notifications) the last thing that had happened was that this case was being transferred to County Court at Clerkenwell & Shoreditch, as the judge had originally missed the counterclaim, and it had to be resent back up to the court - haven't heard a thing until today.

This morning a letter arrived: Notice of Allocation the the Small Claims Track.with the hearing to take place in February 2018 - I suppose that's good news - taken an awfully long time!

Essentially must I now forward all of the evidence, WS's etc I intend to rely on?

As a side note I've received another LBC from Gladstones for a separate ticket in the same bay, along with a "PCN" this morning on my car. (After having confirmation 6 months ago from the MA that my bay has been removed from any parking controls) I'm using Daniel San's response to the new LBC. (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73208118#post73208118)

This is getting really annoying and tedious - should I wait for the outcome of the hearing, or do I need to issue an injunction to Gladstones/ UKCPM?
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Your hearing letter should instruct you when documents must be exchanged. THis would be when your counterclaim WS, photos letters etc are sent to the court AND to the claimant.

I would send them a LBA for this current breach, and state that you will seek an injunction against them AND the MA as the MA remains fully liable for the actions of their agent in this matter.
  • Acidmonkey
    edited 8 December 2017 at 3:38PM
    Yes I think the OP has done all the paperwork correctly and paid the correct fees.

What did you counterclaim for in the end Acid? Was it damages for breach of quiet enjoyment, trespass plus DPA breach? Can you put your Defence and counterclaim up here for us to see?

Parties can only be added with permission, so I think formal permission still needs to be given. I'd expect the first order from the new court to deal with this by making an order joining the MA formally as 2nd Defendant and making the usual directions on the counterclaim as it is now the only claim - so WSs and documents to be served on x date, a trial bundle to be prepared by the claimant in the counterclaim (that's you Acid - it's a bit confusing, everyone will continue to refer to you as the Defendant, but you are now really the Claimant!) and a trial date.

It's a good job you kept on top of this because some numpty at the court hadn't noticed your counterclaim/Pt 20 application (in spite of you paying the £255 issue fee plus the counterclaim fee....). So assume that the staff at the new court are equally as numpty-ish and do call them to make sure they understand that no directions have been made in the counterclaim yet and that the 2nd Defendant needs to be formally joined as a party.

There's a chance the court may list a separate hearing for the issue of the joinder of the 2nd D to be determined, but there's no reason why this can't be dealt with on paper.

Redacted defense and counterclaim here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/024h5d47hzoacb3/Defence%20Counterclaim%20and%20Part%2020%20Counterclaim_Redacted.pdf?dl=0
  • I think you should try and add something to your counterclaim about these new tickets. Certainly an injunction (wasn't that in there anyway? I haven't looked, but I would have applied for damages for trespass plus an injunction preventing any further trespass).

Under the rules, you'd need to formally amend your counterclaim. I'm trying to think what you'd apply for: perhaps a declaration that all pcns issued after the date of the MC agreeing that your bay wouldn't be subject to the controls are void..... However, you'd have to pay a fee to amend (the rules for amending claims and counterclaims are fairly easy to follow, it would be paper permission you'd be applying for so a fee of £100).

However, often the courts give a lot of leeway to LiPs and in small claims. So if you don't want to have the faff of amending your counterclaim, you could shove all of this in your WS and then on the day ask for a declaration of some sorts. You must put the PPC on notice that you are going to do this so they can't say they've been ambushed. Perhaps write to them now saying you'll be seeking the court's leave to apply for a declaration and invite them now to withdraw the new pcns and to confirm they will never again enter onto your space or issue any car parked on it with a pcn. You could also say that their actions in continuing to harass you and to wrongly process your data, and in continuing to trespass on your space, mean that you will be asking the court to award aggravated damages and ask again that they desist.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Acidmonkey
    edited 22 December 2017 at 4:25PM
    I think you should try and add something to your counterclaim about these new tickets. Certainly an injunction (wasn't that in there anyway? I haven't looked, but I would have applied for damages for trespass plus an injunction preventing any further trespass).

Under the rules, you'd need to formally amend your counterclaim. I'm trying to think what you'd apply for: perhaps a declaration that all pcns issued after the date of the MC agreeing that your bay wouldn't be subject to the controls are void..... However, you'd have to pay a fee to amend (the rules for amending claims and counterclaims are fairly easy to follow, it would be paper permission you'd be applying for so a fee of £100).

However, often the courts give a lot of leeway to LiPs and in small claims. So if you don't want to have the faff of amending your counterclaim, you could shove all of this in your WS and then on the day ask for a declaration of some sorts. You must put the PPC on notice that you are going to do this so they can't say they've been ambushed. Perhaps write to them now saying you'll be seeking the court's leave to apply for a declaration and invite them now to withdraw the new pcns and to confirm they will never again enter onto your space or issue any car parked on it with a pcn. You could also say that their actions in continuing to harass you and to wrongly process your data, and in continuing to trespass on your space, mean that you will be asking the court to award aggravated damages and ask again that they desist.

Thanks for this - great advice. Could you please clarify how I would seek the courts leave for a declaration, and the process involved? Apologies, never done this before!

Have just sent Galdrags and UKCPM letters as directed by your good self.
  • in your counterclaim - can you remind us what your counterclaim says?
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Acidmonkey
    edited 5 January 2018 at 4:37PM
    in your counterclaim - can you remind us what your counterclaim says?

Redacted counterclaim and defence here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/024h5d47hzoacb3/Defence%20Counterclaim%20and%20Part%2020%20Counter claim_Redacted.pdf?dl=0

The infuriating this is that the court have completely missed the part 20 application to include the MA as a 2nd defendant. I've raised it with whoever mans the phones at the court, but not sure how to proceed with this. Should i still send the MA all documentation as if they are still going to be included in this countercalim?

This is being dragged on, because initially the court for some reason ignored the counterclaim, now they've ignored the "part 20" part of it :mad:
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Wow, incompetence at its worst! Remind them.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure