How do I know if my tooth is cracked?

Comments

• Toothsmith wrote: »
    In all this time MrHeisenberg has anyone investigated the TMJ/tooth grinding/bruxism possibilities as the cause of your pain? I've assumed previously that they have?

Yeah, my NHS dentist gave me a custom mouth guard and it didn't seem to help. I should give it some more time I suppose.
  • It may be that bruxism is playing a part (I'm being open minded here) but brushing my teeth with an electric toothbrush definitely triggers it, which is why i was wondering if it was a crack. It happens with two electric toothbrushes I have, which are both good quality.

I understand that tooth brushing is a common trigger amongst TN sufferers.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It may be that bruxism is playing a part (I'm being open minded here) but brushing my teeth with an electric toothbrush definitely triggers it, which is why i was wondering if it was a crack. It happens with two electric toothbrushes I have, which are both good quality.

I understand that tooth brushing is a common trigger amongst TN sufferers.

A bite guard can need a bit of time to work - but then again, some people get almost instant relief when provided one.

You are correct about TN trigger zones.

Facial pain is an absolute bu&&er for those that suffer it. It sounds from your posts that you are now quite a 'well informed' patient and I'm pretty sure from the investigations that you're having that you're being taken care of as well as you could be. And as I've said, I doubt you're going to find any great new magic ideas from anyone here! :(

Providing a decent, well adjusted bite guard for a bruxist is not that simpler task. That might be an avenue worth re-visiting if it hasn't played a too bigger part in your treatment so far - but other than that, the chances of finding a simple 'magic wand' solution are vanishingly small I'm afraid.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Toothsmith wrote: »
    A bite guard can need a bit of time to work - but then again, some people get almost instant relief when provided one.

You are correct about TN trigger zones.

Facial pain is an absolute bu&&er for those that suffer it. It sounds from your posts that you are now quite a 'well informed' patient and I'm pretty sure from the investigations that you're having that you're being taken care of as well as you could be. And as I've said, I doubt you're going to find any great new magic ideas from anyone here! :(

Providing a decent, well adjusted bite guard for a bruxist is not that simpler task. That might be an avenue worth re-visiting if it hasn't played a too bigger part in your treatment so far - but other than that, the chances of finding a simple 'magic wand' solution are vanishingly small I'm afraid.

Thanks.

I've just had another cone beam CT scan and nothing showed up. Consequently, my consultant has discharged me as he believes he has nothing more to offer. I can't help feeling left a bit high and dry.

I am taking the brave step and looking to get dental implants done (I am taking a big leap of faith that this is not going to make the pain worse).

Does anyone know if it is possible to your teeth straightened with dental implants in place? I have a problem in that some teeth have drifted towards the gap slightly.
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I too suffer random facial and tooth pain, have done for years, the only thing i learnt is DO NOT have teeth removed because you feel it may be them, unless an issue is found. Over the years i have had two removed almost due to insistence from me as i was convinced it was the cause....guess what still there...but now i have two less teeth !!
  • wazza99 wrote: »
    I too suffer random facial and tooth pain, have done for years, the only thing i learnt is DO NOT have teeth removed because you feel it may be them, unless an issue is found. Over the years i have had two removed almost due to insistence from me as i was convinced it was the cause....guess what still there...but now i have two less teeth !!

Yeah, I've heard of others like you too. This facial pain thing is a serious dilemma!
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Is your bite right? :). My husband was suffering random pains and his dentist could offer no explanation. He decided upon another opinion (dental hospital) and was then told that his bite wasn't right ( a dentist would be able to offer a technical explanation). The answer in his case was to align one of his molars with the application of a wire around the tooth (like a little brace). It took quite a while for the correction to be made, but once it had been, the pain was then eliminated.
  • BucksLady wrote: »
    Is your bite right? :). My husband was suffering random pains and his dentist could offer no explanation. He decided upon another opinion (dental hospital) and was then told that his bite wasn't right ( a dentist would be able to offer a technical explanation). The answer in his case was to align one of his molars with the application of a wire around the tooth (like a little brace). It took quite a while for the correction to be made, but once it had been, the pain was then eliminated.

I imagine so but it there could be an issue there. I've been to see 3 consultants and many dentists so one would have thought someone would have spotted something untoward.

That is quite interesting though, particularly as one tooth was to blame.

My suspicion is the pain may be due to facial trauma. I lost the front teeth as a result of my brother's aggressive behaviour and around that time I had a nasty cycling accident resulting in a concussion. I fell on that side of my face.

I also suspect the blood supply to that area isn't very good.

I've also had a lot of surgery in the area which I suppose hasn't helped such as a lot of apical surgery (apicoectomies) and sinus surgery.

The problem I have is that a tooth may not appear infected as a result of routine x-rays but, in my experience, a tooth of mine was found to be infected when surgery was done.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Does anyone know if it is possible to your teeth straightened with dental implants in place? I have a problem in that some teeth have drifted towards the gap slightly.

I was told that the implant will stop further movement and will be sized to fit the current gap. If the drift is only slight, you are better living with it than messing further.

I have a cracked tooth. Dentist reckons I should leave it alone. It only plays up occasionally. I find rubbing colgate sensitive pro-relief directly onto the tooth twice a day helps considerably.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    I've been to see 3 consultants and many dentists so one would have thought someone would have spotted something untoward.

I agree, but my husband saw a number of consultants before it was suggested that the origin of his pain was due to his bite. Since the correction was made, he's been absolutely fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure