Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Snap-ant wrote: »
    I'll just off load my dreadful news

My sister has lumps in her neck.
    Over a 3 month period starting with Drs, then hospital scan, biopsy, another scan booked for this Friday... no results...
    Yesterday she was called out of the blue into see Consultant - she has cancerous lymph glands.
    He is pretty certain it is secondary cancer.
    She has to go to Cardiff on Monday for a full body scan to see where (or hopefully not) the primary cancer is ..
    Going forward is an op to remove glands, then chemo or radio therapy.
    It has been sinking in all day, Poor Mum & Dad are floundering... I know Dad has blood cancer but that seems in a different league to this.
    This is my little sister...

I know others here have suffered & are suffering, and it is all new to us as a family, I hope you won't mind me asking stuff I don't understand?

apologies xxx

this is really sad, desperately sad, the NHS though are the very best in these types of circumstances so put your trust in them.
    In the meantime if she is fit and well otherwise then make this a really fun weekend so thoughts about the scan on Monday get blocked out.
    Its very hard to think of your younger siblings suffering
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • emerald21
    emerald21 Posts: 11,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good Morning all

Snap sorry to hear about your sister . I too have a younger sister.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As predicted all original source worked. did not do lavender.

This original source offer is very tempting, I love all of the pretty colours ... but the sensible side of me says I probably have enough of shower gel stash to last years so I have to sit on my hands ...
    But if Mr T sent me a conditional spend voucher then I might have to think again ...
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • altojack
    altojack Posts: 9,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    It is so nice to have the house to yourself, even if we do have a lot of DD and DS's stuff as DD is between homes and DS just doesn't seem to have collected all of his.

It's a strange thing but I take a lot of pleasure in putting something in the fridge that I WANT, and coming home to it and finding it still there :rotfl::rotfl:

Oh yes, I'm going out today to get some supplies for the fridge and the freezer, just for me and I'll know they are safe :D

Enterprise, I've just seen JTS post beneath you :(. Sorry to hear about your FIL passing. Do you think he knew and was just letting go the day your ds and family visited :(. At least he's now at peace bless him. My thoughts are with the family xx
    There's no place like home :)

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

Hugs and healing thoughts are always going your way.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    altojack wrote: »
    Good morning Elite :hello:

So life has changed, never to be the same again. My baby at the age of 27 has fledged. My stash has depleated :eek: the freezer looks slimmer :eek: and the Bank of M&D took a pounding :cool: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I can't remember a week like it, I'm sure my other three fledged much easier than this but there again the Bank of M&D took poundings then too :o.

So our weekend was quiet during the early hours of Saturday and Sunday, no drunken feet stumbled up the stairs :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: we slept right through if I remember rightly :D

Must be the Spring air! My youngest got the keys for his place today, off he goes into the wide world. Only a few miles away, but too scary for me to drive near central London.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • altojack
    mhoc wrote: »
    This original source offer is very tempting, I love all of the pretty colours ... but the sensible side of me says I probably have enough of shower gel stash to last years so I have to sit on my hands ...
    But if Mr T sent me a conditional spend voucher then I might have to think again ...

Never mind conditional spends and buying something you've got plenty of. Just sit on those hands and do not fall into the trap adding stuff when you've spent ages whittling down :D

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Snap-ant wrote: »
    I'll just off load my dreadful news

My sister has lumps in her neck.
    Over a 3 month period starting with Drs, then hospital scan, biopsy, another scan booked for this Friday... no results...
    Yesterday she was called out of the blue into see Consultant - she has cancerous lymph glands.
    He is pretty certain it is secondary cancer.
    She has to go to Cardiff on Monday for a full body scan to see where (or hopefully not) the primary cancer is ..
    Going forward is an op to remove glands, then chemo or radio therapy.
    It has been sinking in all day, Poor Mum & Dad are floundering... I know Dad has blood cancer but that seems in a different league to this.
    This is my little sister...

I know others here have suffered & are suffering, and it is all new to us as a family, I hope you won't mind me asking stuff I don't understand?

apologies xxx

So sorry to hear this. Hopefully they will be able to treat her well.

A family member was treated at Velindre and their care is excellent.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • altojack
    silvercar wrote: »
    Must be the Spring air! My youngest got the keys for his place today, off he goes into the wide world. Only a few miles away, but too scary for me to drive near central London.

It's scary isn't it? Mine is just down the road so I'm not exactly 100% safe. And they don't have a washing machine :eek: I may have to look out for cheap Ariel liquid or tablets, powder even :rotfl: I do not like those plastic thingies though :rotfl:

• Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    altojack wrote: »
    Oh yes, I'm going out today to get some supplies for the fridge and the freezer, just for me and I'll know they are safe :D

Enterprise, I've just seen JTS post beneath you :(. Sorry to hear about your FIL passing. Do you think he knew and was just letting go the day your ds and family visited :(. At least he's now at peace bless him. My thoughts are with the family xx

We're pretty sure he knew, but so relieved he waited for the kids to visit, we went down with DD the weekend before too, and several people had been popping in. Suspect that he made the decision to expedite things though, he didn't want to continue as he was and there was no prospect of recovery.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • altojack
    mhoc wrote: »
    Time to start decorating, this was the only way we could reclaim our offsprings bedrooms, massive painting and decorating overhaul - they have to know they are still loved and wanted desperately and their visits are much appreciated but they are guests now, not residents.

We have a massive double bedroom at the front of the house which was split into a small boxroom and a bedroom about 20 years ago - the box room was a cot room to start with and then later it was errant sons bedroom, just about room for a cabin bed, eldest son had the bigger half and he had bunks so there was always a spare bed for sleep overs. Both were very crampt but at least they had their own spaces.

When eldest son was on a black ops and away for 6 months we had the builder in, removed the stud walls, replastered all the way through, refloored, painted, decorated and the room was made back into one room again.

hahaha, stripping and overhauling on hold until he takes the rest of what he wants from his room. It's a large room but he always seemed to spread himself and belongings around the floor, not lacking in storage space so why the floor. It's a male thing I think :rotfl:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure