Can I trust Paypal Guarantee private purchase?

Bit odd but a random fellow in Germany appears to have an iphone lost by my family a while ago.

He managed to get in touch with us and we compromised that we would pay postage and €50 reward.

However neither of us trusts the other enough to go first...

He has suggested paypal would be guaranteed.

Reading up it does suggest that if we sent the money using the Goods payment option it would be guaranteed if he never sends it.

Paypals terms and conditions suggest this is true. But also contain a lot of get outs.

What do people reckon? Is this actually possible. I wouldn't insure a payment form a random person selling other peoples phones, but perhaps paypal really will?

Thanks

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,787
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I guess that if he did not provide tracking number then you could claim non delivery. If he sent something that wasn't the iPhone you could claim not as described The problem is that this is not PayPal is really designed for. Really though if you want the phone back and need to pay in advance then PayPal is probably your safest bet. It all sounds a bit dodgy and suspect though.

If you had brought the phone from him and paid by PayPal then you would be covered for non-delivery and not as described. In fact normally it is the person selling the phone is most at risk of losing out due to a PayPal claim.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Offer to pay him the return postage now and the rewards when it arrives with you.

As the person was honest enough to contact you after finding a valuable item, I think a little trust your side wouldn't go amiss too be honest.
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 378
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    bxboards wrote: »
    Offer to pay him the return postage now and the rewards when it arrives with you.

As the person was honest enough to contact you after finding a valuable item, I think a little trust your side wouldn't go amiss too be honest.

Actually that was our first idea. But as I said he doesn't trust us either. His first idea was 150 euros plus postage which is what he claims to have paid for the phone in some mysterious surplus auction. Which seems slightly unlikely for a three year icloud locked old phone but you never know if could be true. But its just slightly hard to completely trust someone who is basically selling us back our own phone...

But it is worth less than 50 euros for parts to anyone other than us so it makes sense to make a deal. I may have to chance paypal since no one has pointed out any glaring holes in the plan.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Paying in the manner you have said for goods/services is the same as buying goods/services.

I would ask him to send you an invoice for a 'iphone imei number 12345' as 'goods for sale and paid in full'.

You will be covered if you pay the "purchase" in full. You will have 180 days from purchase to open a claim for INR (item not received) and or SNAD (significantly not as described) if the phone you are "purchasing" doesn't arrive or isn't the correct one.

If the phone fails to arrive he will have to show delivery via an online trackable means. If the item isn't as described you will have to return it via an online trackable means.
  • john2054
    john2054 Posts: 202 Forumite
    paypal are fully insured. make sure you keep a record of you messages to him, and also pay by credit card, for that extra layer of protection. then you should be good to go, and if he does try to pull a fast one, you should be able to get a full refund, without a problem. It is for people who try to do things, outside of paypal, that you need to be careful of!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    john2054 wrote: »
    paypal are fully insured. make sure you keep a record of you messages to him, and also pay by credit card, for that extra layer of protection. then you should be good to go, and if he does try to pull a fast one, you should be able to get a full refund, without a problem. It is for people who try to do things, outside of paypal, that you need to be careful of!

schools are out everyone
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    https://www.escrow.com/what-is-escrow

Would an escrow provider be acceptable to you both?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    What about paypal, Pay after delivery option?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,025
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Just a warning that this thread is almost a month old and I suspect OP has sorted out his problem by now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure