O2 wants £350 deposit?

abbas5001
abbas5001 Posts: 341 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hey,

I just ordered a phone from OneStopPhoneShop and i got an email yesterday saying i should contact them about the order. I also checked the status of my order online and it said a security deposit is required but the order has been accepted.

I just phoned up and the custoemr service rep told me it had been accepted but 02 want a £350 security deposit whih will be refundable after 6 months. Why am i beign charged this deposit? I thought my credit rating was decent, i haven't got any credit cards so i haven't hd the chance to improve it but i paid all my bills on time with my previous mobile contract.

Any advice would appreciated :)

Comments

• philnicandamy
    philnicandamy Posts: 15,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have a look here.....

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/mobilefun/network-terms-and-conditions.htm?network_id=1

from what I can see you only need to pay a refunded security deposit if any disconnection / non payment problems have arose in the past either with o2 or another provider, a credit check is usually done before every contract anyhow, have you contacted credit ref agency for a copy of your credit file?

https://www.experian.co.uk

...i'd contact onestopphoneshop again via email to clarify if the credit file is ok
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • Are you an international student or someone who has not been in the country for the past three years? If so, then yes .. then most probably any network will ask for a security deposit as a reassurance for a non-existant credit history. But you already have a credit history, so that's odd.

This happened to me when I came to the UK. Vodafone required a security deposit that they promptly paid back after the end of the contract. And if you want international roaming, the deposit is higher.
  • abbas5001
    Hi,

no i am UK born but i am student but i had no problems getting my previous contract.

The only thing i an think of is that i have only been at my current address for only 8 months?
  • rash.m2k
    rash.m2k Posts: 976 Forumite
    abbas5001 wrote: »
    Hey,

I just ordered a phone from OneStopPhoneShop and i got an email yesterday saying i should contact them about the order. I also checked the status of my order online and it said a security deposit is required but the order has been accepted.

I just phoned up and the custoemr service rep told me it had been accepted but 02 want a £350 security deposit whih will be refundable after 6 months. Why am i beign charged this deposit? I thought my credit rating was decent, i haven't got any credit cards so i haven't hd the chance to improve it but i paid all my bills on time with my previous mobile contract.

Any advice would appreciated :)

Something is SERIOUSLY wrong. I got my first O2 contract when I was 18. And at that time they asked me for a £100 deposit - BUT thats only because the idiots at ONESTOPPHONESHOP put in orders for two mobile phones!

Check your credit file. I think something real strange is going on!
  • chocolateypie
    chocolateypie Posts: 106 Forumite
    rash.m2k wrote: »
    Something is SERIOUSLY wrong. I got my first O2 contract when I was 18. And at that time they asked me for a £100 deposit - BUT thats only because the idiots at ONESTOPPHONESHOP put in orders for two mobile phones!

Check your credit file. I think something real strange is going on!

Not necessarily. The OP could be living at a student address whose credit history is poor due to the previous students there not paying their bills on time.

Maybe try your parents' address? Their credit rating is sure to be a lot better and you can always ring up O2 to request an address change once you've got the contract sorted ;)
  • abbas5001
    I have checked my credit file and everything eems to be in order. However, the file is in the address of my previous address - maybe this has something to do with it? Obviously as the address i gave to onestopphoneshop was of my current ddress and therefore they don't match. To complicate matters further i am moving again in 3 days time!

Any advice on what i should do? I was thinking of changing the address on the experian file to my new address which i will be moving to (in 3 days time) and the electoral poll address and then re-orderign the phone. However, my dad says this will take too long and i better off just paying the huge £350 security deposit.
  • rash.m2k
    rash.m2k Posts: 976 Forumite
    abbas5001 wrote: »
    I have checked my credit file and everything eems to be in order. However, the file is in the address of my previous address - maybe this has something to do with it? Obviously as the address i gave to onestopphoneshop was of my current ddress and therefore they don't match. To complicate matters further i am moving again in 3 days time!

Any advice on what i should do? I was thinking of changing the address on the experian file to my new address which i will be moving to (in 3 days time) and the electoral poll address and then re-orderign the phone. However, my dad says this will take too long and i better off just paying the huge £350 security deposit.

Thats it! Definitely the problem.

But I suppose what can you do? You're going to have to pay line rental anyway might as well pay it all upfront, if you've got the money! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • abbas5001
    Thanks for your reply everyone and rash.

I am tempted to pay it but £350 is alot of money to let go in one big chunk so i am very unsure.

Do you have any idea how 02 will refund back to me - will i hve to contact them about it or will they automatically do it? If i have to ontact them about it then i may just leaved it because it too much hassle on to op getting the cashback from onestop.
  • fiish
    fiish Posts: 815 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The security deposit will be credited to your mobile account when the refund time comes, so the £350 you get back will be used to pay your bills after the first six months. Once the contract expires, if you cancel the contract then, O2 will refund you any remaining credit balance.
  • Hi Abbas5001,

I work for e2save.com and if it is o2 carphone warehouse you are taking a contract out with (which it will be if your going through onestopphoneshop) they will arrange for either a cheque of £350 to be sent to yourselves after the 6th month or you can give them a call and they are usually more than happy to pay it directly back into your account.

Rebecca.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport