The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Elephant Car Insurance - Automatic Renewal

Comments

• hoyles10
    hoyles10 Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    I got a letter about 5 weeks before my renewal and another letter about 2 weeks before asking me to confirm the payment details are still the same from last year.

In the past when i've changed insurance i've let the company know i'm leaving them and contacted my bank to cancel any payment's that may be set up for them as extra back-up in case the company don't cancel the policy.
    If At First You Don't Succeed, Call It Version 1.0 :D
  • barvid
    barvid Posts: 405 Forumite
    > at no point were we told that it was a 10 month policy.

Don't believe that for a second.

> Imagine my horror when I saw that they had taken over £400 without warning or authorisation from OH's bank account yesterday!

Don't believe that either. What you mean is that you signed up for a policy with an auto renewal (tip - try reading the T&Cs) and when they sent you the renewal quote you didn't tell them you didn't want it, so the policy was renewed.

Imagine your shock when you realised it was actually your fault, not theirs...
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think elephant insurance are the nicest and lovliest people in the cosmos and everyone should use them.
  • Laz123 wrote: »
    I think elephant insurance are the nicest and lovliest people in the cosmos and everyone should use them.

you work there?

Yeah think this is standard for most companies now. is annoying when they dont remind you though (Virgin gym!!!!!)
    ‘It ain’t over 'til it's over’
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    M+S also do it but it did say on the renewal quote just to contact them if you didn't want to auto renew which i did
  • Started cover with these donkeys 2 months ago. Within 3 weeks they had added Hire Car cover to my policy and charged me without my consent.

I then complained and was astounded when they decided to cancel my policy.

I chose elephant.co.uk based on price, I shouldn't have.

As the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for". Don't expect a quality service from elephant.co.uk. Shocking definition of service and they wouldn't know the meaning of the word 'quality'.
  • Half of you lot work for Elephant methinks! :rotfl:

We never had any correspondence through the post to say that they would be automatically renewing or even that the policy was up for renewal.

We didn't have a certificate through the post or anything, the money wet out 6 days after the policy had apparently expired.

We had one email a month before renewal with no mention of auto renewal.

Our fault? No! If you expect people to remember the small print one year later then I think that's asking rather a lot!

@Olias auto renewing isn't very 'money saving' ;)
  • I think most insurers auto renew - the brands operated by, say, Budget Insurance do (I know, I worked there for a few weeks); other insurance companies are available. Some of them may see it as a nice little earner for them as well.
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    you work there?

No, I'm being sarky. I find it irritating when someone posts on these forums with a complaint, then you get a lot of prats posting to say how wonderful the company is and they've never had any problems.

Why take the time and trouble? Go get a life is my answer.
  • eranou
    eranou Posts: 377 Forumite
    Laz123 wrote: »
    No, I'm being sarky. I find it irritating when someone posts on these forums with a complaint, then you get a lot of prats posting to say how wonderful the company is and they've never had any problems.

Why take the time and trouble? Go get a life is my answer.

Why take the time to post a complaint?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport