dla mobility car and going into a care home

im posting this on behalf my mother in law
her partner is 80 yrs old and currently in hospital and due to go into a care home when place comes ,at the moment dla both care and mobility are suspend while he in hospital
he has moblitly car under car mobility car scheme and she is driver of the car ,mobility have told her not too worry that dla has suspend car payments while in hospital as it be sorted when he goes into a home ,they plan keep car when he in a home so take him on days out can this be done ?

Comments

• amberspy wrote: »
    im posting this on behalf my mother in law
    her partner is 80 yrs old and currently in hospital and due to go into a care home when place comes ,at the moment dla both care and mobility are suspend while he in hospital
    he has moblitly car under car mobility car scheme and she is driver of the car ,mobility have told her not too worry that dla has suspend car payments while in hospital as it be sorted when he goes into a home ,they plan keep car when he in a home so take him on days out can this be done ?

- ask motability, if your MIL is worried what she will do without a car
    - ask motability and the DVLA regards the VED in terms of 'It must only be used for the disabled person's personal needs. It can't be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use'
    - the GOV were going to remove DLA if in care from October 2012, as far as I know they have now relented and he can keep it
    - how in practice each care home deals with the mobility DLA payment component I've no idea
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    If it is only for days out would they not be better hiring a car for those days ?

Do they not have their own car they could use for the days out (or could they buy one?)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family