Stolen Galaxy S3

Options
united66
united66 Posts: 257 Forumite
Hi All.

I was on a night out in Newcastle with the lads back in August, got picked up by a taxi around midnight and my galaxy s3 fell out my pocket into the back seat of the taxi. I got out the car and realised, the driver turned round and drove past me as I tried to flag him down. He obviously realised I'd left something in there and decided to drive away. Now to the point. I claimed on insurance and got a new one, however I realised a few days ago that the person who stole it (the taxi driver I remember his face now) had not unlinked the phone from my dropbox account (fail), and every picture he has taken of himself and his family has stored to my online account. I've sent a link to the dropbox and details of my crime to Northumbria police who have been very quick to reply and have passed pictures to the intel team to identify the man.

The problem I have facing me is - I no longer have the original box to get the IMEI number. I have rang 3 who said they won't give it me (because it might not be registered to their network!?) so I can pass it on to the police incase they track the man down. I now have an official crime number, do they have to give it me by law?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect and don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers - make sure your hands are clean. Bob Marley - Legend.

Comments

• sdduk
    sdduk Posts: 1,419 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I would think it belongs to the insurance company now because they have paid out with a new phone

Even if the police give the phone back to you it still belongs to the insurance company so may be you would have to send back to them
    or at least ring and ask them first before sending.
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect.
    :)
  • bobster999
    Options
    united66 wrote: »
    Hi All.

I was on a night out in Newcastle with the lads back in August, got picked up by a taxi around midnight and my galaxy s3 fell out my pocket into the back seat of the taxi. I got out the car and realised, the driver turned round and drove past me as I tried to flag him down. He obviously realised I'd left something in there and decided to drive away. Now to the point. I claimed on insurance and got a new one, however I realised a few days ago that the person who stole it (the taxi driver I remember his face now) had not unlinked the phone from my dropbox account (fail), and every picture he has taken of himself and his family has stored to my online account. I've sent a link to the dropbox and details of my crime to Northumbria police who have been very quick to reply and have passed pictures to the intel team to identify the man.

The problem I have facing me is - I no longer have the original box to get the IMEI number. I have rang 3 who said they won't give it me (because it might not be registered to their network!?) so I can pass it on to the police incase they track the man down. I now have an official crime number, do they have to give it me by law?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

wouldnt the police sort all that out?
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's still linked to your Dropbox account, then the phone hasn't been wiped. Try this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Rusty! wrote: »
    If it's still linked to your Dropbox account, then the phone hasn't been wiped. Try this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lookout.labs.planb

That is a great idea. Shame they didn't call the file something un-obvious, so that when it did an over-the-air install, it said something like "Software Update" installing

BTW - to the OP - have you tried posting the pictures on Twitter to identify him?
  • bobster999
    Options
    Rusty! wrote: »

thats great! im bookmarking that incase i ever lose mine.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Post a pic of the culprit on here, we'll soon sort him out.

Shame really, if he is caught, bang goes his job along with a lot of other things.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • bobster999
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »

Shame really, if he is caught, bang goes his job along with a lot of other things.

hows that a shame?? lesson learned the hard way not to go stealing other peoples stuff
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »

Can't do the time then don't do the crime. Simples
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    united66 wrote: »
    Did they not block the phone when you reported it missing ???
    It's not just about the money
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the phone should already be blocked by tthe network

and why is it a shame he'll lose his job-hes a thief
    What goes around-comes around
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories