Halifax Phone Security

Needed to phone Halifax tonight to ask about a pending transaction on my account and also if they had sent a replacement card out yet as mine expires end of June

I went through the automated bit typing in my bank account number, sort code, security number on the card etc. Then they asked for my DOB which i gave. Once all that had been done i got to speak to someone who was happy to give me the information i needed and offered to send a replacement card out to me asap if i wanted.

What i thought was strange is they never tried to verify i was the owner of the account. Anyone with access to my card could have got the information they needed (account number etc). The only bit of security was my DOB, but most people probably have their DOB listed on social media and various other sites when they sign up so wouldnt be hard for Mr Hacker to know this if they looked hard enough. Especially with all the security breaches on various sites these days

So should the person i spoke to have gone through additional security steps first?

Comments

• ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, they ask for an extra code for telephone banking when you set up an account (or at least they did 4 or so years ago) - never used it, but I have one recorded.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,028
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I never set up a code, i do all my banking online only ring if its a query i have as they always seem pretty quick to answer them.
  • bobblebob wrote: »
    Needed to phone Halifax tonight to ask about a pending transaction on my account and also if they had sent a replacement card out yet as mine expires end of June

I went through the automated bit typing in my bank account number, sort code, security number on the card etc. Then they asked for my DOB which i gave. Once all that had been done i got to speak to someone who was happy to give me the information i needed and offered to send a replacement card out to me asap if i wanted.

What i thought was strange is they never tried to verify i was the owner of the account. Anyone with access to my card could have got the information they needed (account number etc). The only bit of security was my DOB, but most people probably have their DOB listed on social media and various other sites when they sign up so wouldnt be hard for Mr Hacker to know this if they looked hard enough. Especially with all the security breaches on various sites these days

So should the person i spoke to have gone through additional security steps first?

Nope. You would have phoned them from a number that Halifax hold for you.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • bobblebob
    Forumite
    Ah that makes sense yes, and alot more secure.

Changing the subject but partly why i rung them was because my card expires end of June. My sisters card does too. She got her replacement card yesterday but i still havent got mine. Shouldnt they both have been sent /received at the same time seeing as they both expire on the same date?
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,131
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    bobblebob wrote: »

Changing the subject but partly why i rung them was because my card expires end of June. My sisters card does too. She got her replacement card yesterday but i still havent got mine. Shouldnt they both have been sent /received at the same time seeing as they both expire on the same date?

Even if they were sent on the same day, the delivery date is in the hands of Royal Mail:cool:
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ambassador
    bobblebob wrote: »

I had three customers today, that had cards that are expiring end of June and the computer showed that the cards were dispatched on the 27th of May which was Friday before the BH weekend, so I have told them that their cards should be on the doormat tomorrow or by Friday.

That said when cards are ordered the dispatch time is 5 - 10 working days but I have never heard of it being 10 days...
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It seems a bit of a waste of time to ring up asking about a card that doesn't expire for another month!.
    I wouldn't bother ringing up unless it had already expired and I didn't have the new one.
  • bobblebob
    Forumite
    I only rang up because im out of the country next week so ideally wanted the new card for that. Wasnt sure if the new card was issued while i was away if it would cancel my current card automatically.
  • bobblebob
    Forumite
    Westie983 wrote: »
    I had three customers today, that had cards that are expiring end of June and the computer showed that the cards were dispatched on the 27th of May which was Friday before the BH weekend, so I have told them that their cards should be on the doormat tomorrow or by Friday.

That said when cards are ordered the dispatch time is 5 - 10 working days but I have never heard of it being 10 days...

Cheers. The guy said to me the computer said it was issued but not when.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure