Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• Just got this from LastMinute, was meant to be flying in a week. Had Monarch flights, and hotel with ATOL protection.

Might be useful for other LastMinute.com customers:

Dear Daniel,

With reference to your reservation , we are sorry to inform you that due to the Monarch airline insolvency annunced in the last few days, your flight has been cancelled.

We are not able to offer you any suitable alternative plan. As consequence of this we are proceeding to cancel your trip and making the refund of the total amount.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
    Customer Service Team
  • utigers
    utigers Posts: 221 Forumite
    Last minute are saying they are going to try and claim flight only refunds with the CAA. So I wonder how successful this will be?

Bizarrely they cannot tell me the breakdown costs of my flight (Easyjet outbound & Monarch inbound).
  • N4t4lie wrote: »
    Call them and initiate a chargeback; under £100 per person means you can't use Section 75, as you haven't had a statement yet they should ringfence as if it were a fraudulent transaction (I am not saying it is fraudlent, just that they use the same process) and then recredit your account. Hope that helps.
    I have already been in touch with Halifax, all they said was they would send a form out for me to put a claim in, I will state I want chargeback on it, I still think they could of done something before it went on my statement.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Caz007 wrote: »
    I have already been in touch with Halifax, all they said was they would send a form out for me to put a claim in, I will state I want chargeback on it, I still think they could of done something before it went on my statement.

I'm inclined to agree with you, but bitter experience with banks says you can speak to two people and get two different responses. In this case you have to bear in mind that they may need to verify that it wasn't for a flight or holiday you could have taken; slim possibility you could have purchased on the 30th and have gone away before they went under. It's not always as clear cut as it would first appear.
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    I can empathise, Tesco's help pages say if it was a package with Monarch then you need to use ATOL and I'm inclined to agree with them else what is the point of having ATOL protection (unless you are stranded abroad, the repatriation is worth the £2.50 per booking in this case). I am a bit baffled that ATOL are sending people to card companies in the first instance, I assume there is a reason, but it's not clear.

Have you been able to speak to Tesco to see if they are aware the CAA is sending ATOL protected people to them first?

Maybe wait till you see if you get the CAA form, I'd always assume that insurance pays out and S75 and chargeback are a last resort to get a refund. Remember someone has to pick up the bill in the end.

*UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POST*

CAA has now issued a letter which can be found on the Monarch CAA page saying that even if you have ATOL you should go to your credit card provider for a refund.

So best go to Tesco with that. Joys of an unfolding situation, but glad they have at least clarified something for people.
  • Maybe wait till you see if you get the CAA form, I'd always assume that insurance pays out and S75 and chargeback are a last resort to get a refund. Remember someone has to pick up the bill in the end.

Insurance won't pay out for anything that is claimable elsewhere.
  • nkkingston
    nkkingston Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    0800 358 7911

Previous experience says Paypal is in discussion with the administrators and is gathering the information it needs in order to process refunds. If you look at it from their point of view, they have no idea if you have taken the holiday or flight yet (even in their 180 day cut off) and will need this information to verify all claims. If you have put in a dispute be patient. When Low Cost went under all those with valid claims were paid out within a month of the collapse but it took a couple of weeks for them to start processing repayments.

I agree not knowing is frustrating, but if my previous experience can give you any reassurance I hope it helps.
    The problem a lot of users are having is we can't even raise a dispute. Paypal say you already have but doesn't show anything (including the first time of trying, so it's not just that you can't see it in the resolution centre). I'm very doubtful paypal will refund anyone who hasn't raised a dispute (why give back more money than necessary?) which makes the fact they're getting closer to having all the information they need more worrying rather than less!
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
  • N4t4lie
    nkkingston wrote: »
    The problem a lot of users are having is we can't even raise a dispute. Paypal say you already have but doesn't show anything (including the first time of trying, so it's not just that you can't see it in the resolution centre). I'm very doubtful paypal will refund anyone who hasn't raised a dispute (why give back more money than necessary?) which makes the fact they're getting closer to having all the information they need more worrying rather than less!

Hmmm, sounds like they have ringfenced all transactions to Monarch. Wondering after Low Cost that it messed with their metrics so they have decided a different approach.

In the end Paypal doesn't actually end up out of pocket, not entirely sure how it works, but if you are within 180 days and they haven't amended their user agreement (as far as I am aware, I checked it when they did last year thinking they'd exclude holidays, but didn't) you should get a refund.

Now if you are ATOL protected you may end up in a discussion (a bit like with insurance companies who won't pay out if anyone else is liable to pay) with Paypal about who pays.

Let's hope they make an announcement soon as the waiting is horrid. It took them a couple of weeks to work out how to deal with Low Cost, but at least we had communication and open disputes. I know it's hard, but try to bear with them they will be doing what they can behind the scenes to get this resolved and are probably avoiding making statements till they 100% know what is happening.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    4 Tweets from NatWest in the last hour highlighting their position:

1. check natwest.com/monarch
    2. If you are still due to travel you can claim for flights and packaged holidays booked with monarch if you paid with a NatWest credit card.
    3. If you paid by debit card, you can claim for flight only bookings with us.
    4.Speak to ATOL on packaged holiday bookings paid with your NatWest debit card.

Twitter handle is @NatWest_Help

(Not me, I'm just repeating in the hope it can help anyone.)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Wayne_h
    Wayne_h Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Tried by phone today recorded set of answers eventually found the transaction but said it was for £0 when my account clearly states otherwise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure