Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card

Comments

• nk8
    nk8 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I complained through the Secure Message system and was offered £50 credit and they allowed me to move to a different BC
  • SamDude
    SamDude Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    Just got the letter today.
    Have applied for the Asda Cashback Plus card - 2% at ASDA (including petrol) and 1% everywhere else. There is a £3 monthly fee, which should be easily recouped.

1% on a Mastercard is better than on Amex, so this will most likely work out better.
  • SamDude
    SamDude Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    I also complained earlier today via Secure Messaging and just had a phone call to discuss it.

To cut to the chase, after hearing the whole spiel about the 0.5% still being a good deal - I was told that as I had around £67 cashback accrued on my BC Amex card last year, I would be offered a one-off credit of £70.

I played along nicely, of course, and thanked the BC rep very much for his understanding and resolution.
  • mau408
    mau408 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You just know that Barclaycard are getting a load of secure messages right now, I'd say accept it - but what do I know lol - I live in the flight delay forums !!!

Thanks for all your replies on whether to take the original offer. In the end I was feeling little unhappy about the settlement amount I decided to try and work out how much on the 0.5% card I had spent in the last year, estimate 3 years, and work out how much Id lost because certain retailers wouldn't accept it, and then the difference between the compensation and it was roughly 'diddly squat' if you'll excuse my phrase.

To explain I didn't accept the first offer from barclaycard although I know a lot in the thread stated I should. But Barclaycard have now counter offered and I have decided to accept an higher offer instead.

I wish all who else read this thread good luck.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    edited 2 June 2017 at 11:09PM
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Just checked and the 15th corresponds to my expected statement date in August.

That would make sense as mine said 7th Aug which is my statement date.

Can't say I'm too fussed really, had a load of hassle using my account on several occasions in the US (as in 'card declined' no apparent reason, plenty of funds, b'card blaming the hotel putting in the wrong pin ...err...no pin was put in at all, then they said the hotel put in the wrong three digit csv...err...Amex has a 4 digit code..etc etc :wall::wall:) the next time I try and use it there will be the last time I can get Amex cash back, will be ironic if it works.

I have a decent limit (for me and OH) on the cards, 0.5% is better than nothing and it will be nice to have one less piece of plastic in my purse. Plus OH hates asking if places accept Amex so never uses it anyway.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It says a lot when people are chasing deals for half a percent! If you'd said to me ten years ago I'd be chasing 0.5% cashback and 0.25% on savings I'd have thought you were mad!

I've had this card since Egg days when they paid me 3% on a credit balance and cashback on spending!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Looks like the Asda card with a monthly fee offering 2% at Asda and 1% elsewhere is probably going to be the best card for cashback (unless you want to go for Amex) ?
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    mau408 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies on whether to take the original offer. In the end I was feeling little unhappy about the settlement amount I decided to try and work out how much on the 0.5% card I had spent in the last year, estimate 3 years, and work out how much Id lost because certain retailers wouldn't accept it, and then the difference between the compensation and it was roughly 'diddly squat' if you'll excuse my phrase.

To explain I didn't accept the first offer from barclaycard although I know a lot in the thread stated I should. But Barclaycard have now counter offered and I have decided to accept an higher offer instead.

I wish all who else read this thread good luck.

Well done on your negotiation skills!

I wonder why they are offering any compensation to stay? I would thought once you receive your compo then you'd switch to Amex or Asda regardless ?

I'm a bit late but I've got my secure message in, and we'll see what happens.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,988 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is quite funny - I was just wondering what reason I would give Barclaycard CS to claim my £50 'don't leave us' credit from Barclaycard this year and this drops straight into my lap. :)

I think it as 4% we used to get on egg when it was the best paying savings account around.
    I think....
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    SamDude wrote: »
    I also complained earlier today via Secure Messaging and just had a phone call to discuss it.

To cut to the chase, after hearing the whole spiel about the 0.5% still being a good deal - I was told that as I had around £67 cashback accrued on my BC Amex card last year, I would be offered a one-off credit of £70.

I played along nicely, of course, and thanked the BC rep very much for his understanding and resolution.

That's an excellent result, so looks like they might be offering effectively one years cashback on top to encourage customers to stay?
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure