PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May 2016 at 4:52PM
    Options
    Congrats on the joy-bringing pans, mavvymoo :beer:

Welcome back kazwookie :)

Floss £35? :eek: Ouch! Would it be worth hiring a Rug Doctor? Mind you, I'm not sure if that would actually be much cheaper!

ETA Ignore the Rug Doctor idea Floss, just re-read and realised the rugs are Chinese wool so probably need very gentle treatment? How about trying bicarb sprinkled on, rubbed in gently, then hoovered up with the hoover on an upholstery setting?

OH had "a bit of a sort-out" of his clothes the other day, and brought down 5 tops he was ready to part with. Lovely, except that I've just noticed the most hideous garment hanging on the box-room door....Imagine a tablecloth, made of white cotton with a large blue overcheck.

Now imagine that tablecloth cut up and made into a blouson jacket :eek:

I'm sure I've never seen it before. He admits he can't remember when he bought it (from cotton traders, shame on them for selling such a thing), but won't Kondo it because he "might want to wear it sometime".

If he does, I definitely won't go out with him that day, that's for sure!
  • Susan1962
    Susan1962 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    There's another thread on the OS board about cleaning an old wool rug - some good ideas on there.
    Looking ahead
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    I have two Chinese wool rugs, one either side of our bed on the floorboards. They could really do with cleaning, but when DH spilt red wine on one (:o) it cost £35 at the cleaners! Anyone recommend a method?

Mine is wool. Probably Indian, but who knows? I was quoted £700 for cleaning it, hence the DIY approach. It's old, and fairly fragile, but also has no value as an 'antique'. However I like it, so haven't been too rough with it. That said, I hoovered it with a turbo brush... but I haven't scrubbed it.

If they are small then hoover them, and if they're not too heavy, hang them out on the line/a fence/garden bench for a good blow. As it's sunny at the moment I'd take the opportunity to wash them. I've got a Bissell 'Little Green' which is a spot cleaner (recommended by another OSer), which helps with drying. You do need to do a spot test either with water or a gentle detergent/cleaning solution. I used the stuff that came with the cleaner. Then it's a case of getting it wet enough to loosen the dirt, and getting the dirt out. TBH the water was still coming out filthy when I finished but I only had two days in which to get it clean and dry. At least it is less disgusting than it was!
    Susan1962 wrote: »
    There's another thread on the OS board about cleaning an old wool rug - some good ideas on there.

That's where I got all my advice from... I'm going to report back properly when the thing is back in place. I'm just annoyed that I can't lift it on my own as I want to do it NOW :cool:

Curtains are in, lampshade is on (they didn't clean the bulb-holder). Stuff is on the shelves. More stuff needs to go on the shelves and yet more stuff needs to be packed up and stuffed into the kids' room - everything has been shoved into the spare room as we've done the other rooms so emptying it will be a challenge!

ETA - Ivyleaf - I think you should be a bit more forceful with your OH and point out that not only will you not go out with him, but you'll be taking him to his GP to get his eyesight/sanity checked!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that the experts who clean valuable antique rugs use baby shampoo and distilled water and have special frames to dry them over.

Been busily kondo-ing garden tasks today in absolutely glorious weather. Just didn't want to come back indoors after 5 hours but had to come back in to get self cleaned up enough to wear my Office Lady head tomorrow instead of the standard Wurzel Gummidge.

ivyleaf, years ago I was wandering around a bootsale with Mum and she bought a readicut wool rug, half-moon shape, for £1. I thought she was mad as it was cream with pink flowers on it and the cream was very grubby.

She chucked it in the washing machine and it came up beautifully. We kondo'd it a few months ago as it was superfluous to requirements and a bit of a trip hazard (Mum has Parkinson's and isn't too good on her feet some days, another reason to kondo like crazy to make their home safer).

Oh, I was accused of having lost part of the steel section hose of their Henry vacuum cleaner - I'd been vacuuming the cobwebs out of the BCofD and had taken a section out so's it'd be the right length for cramped manoevers, and they'd lost it - was on top of the chest of drawers by the bed but had disappeared into the kipple.

:p I asked if the Cupboard was still tidy and am assured that it is. Stuff all over the bedroom floor, apparently, but the Cupboard is still pristine.

Don't know when I will next be a-kondo-ing as work is looming, but I am sure I will find something which needs to leave.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    Options
    Managed to manhandle the rug into the house (have a lovely carpet burn on my shoulder to prove it!) and get it into the bedroom. I'd forgotten how impossible large rugs are to deal with. It's still damp which doesn't help, but not only is it not straight it's about a foot longer than the room so I need to get it into the right position and then take one end off it.

Guess I should decide WHICH end before I do it. Don't suppose I can make lavender bags from the offcuts ;)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Carpet bag Greenbee?
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • greenbee
    Options
    Might be a very, very small one!

Although I have a number of other ancient threadbare rugs that will shortly be surplus to requirements...
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Greenbee :wave: (sad news from your old school this week, very sad)

Mav :wave: I'll be up next week, poss Tuesday, so I'll go and look at your painting :)

Thanks for the other welcomes.

Work done
    Sort out a small chest of draws in the bed room, kept the good stuff ,and dumped most of the rest.

Sounds like you have all been busy today
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • selement
    selement Posts: 518 Forumite
    Options
    Been away for a while (and I never posted a lot in this thread). I have been bought spark joy for my birthday. Thinking about starting over with clothes again! I'm on the Facebook group and everyone loves finding new storage, which I had been thinking about but after reading some of spark joy it reminded me to use temporary storage till I finish. I doubt I'll get rid of many more clothes starting over but I will try harder to fold!
    Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)
  • mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Kaz let me know if you come up as I doubt the sign will be done by then I have finished my bit woo hoo all done. But the lady sign writing it is busy all this week so doubts she will get on to it until next week :) Maybe you will have time for coffee ;) This time :D

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family