Do I have to pay council tax?

I have just moved in with my boyfriend who is doing a masters. He is the only one on the tenancy agreement so is exempt from paying council tax due to his student status. As a result we haven't had any letters through regarding council tax payments.

Now that I live with him and have just gained full-time employment do I have to pay council tax eventhough I'm not on the rental agreement?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    GMW333 wrote: »
    I have just moved in with my boyfriend who is doing a masters. He is the only one on the tenancy agreement so is exempt from paying council tax due to his student status. As a result we haven't had any letters through regarding council tax payments.

Now that I live with him and have just gained full-time employment do I have to pay council tax eventhough I'm not on the rental agreement?

Thanks in advance.

He could be in breach of his lease - this could be more of a worry.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 9:07PM
    GMW333 wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

Yes but there is a 25% discount as there is a sole liable adult.

There has been a liability for the tax since you moved in so expect the council to ask you for that date.

The bill will come in your boyfriend's name as he is higher up the hierarchy of liabilities than you, i.e he is a tenant, you are not.

You may also qualify for council tax relief, for which every local authority has their own scheme
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure