PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Fire Door Specification

I need to replace the existing door to a flat by a fire door and frame

Does anyone have a suitable spec ?
Never pay on an estimated bill

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,288
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The spec will either be a 30 minute or 60 minute fire door and frame. (That's the time that they will contain a fire.)

I assume that whoever has told you to fit a fire door will have said which spec you need.

Just google '30 minute fire door' or ask at a DIY shed or other door seller.

You'll find many examples of doors designed to meet that spec.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,054
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The requirement hasn’t come from a person – its from legislation in the Form of the Fire reform Act, which talks in terms of Fire risk Assessment. Having done that we consider that the doors should be replaced - the existing are a standard composite door of the 1970’s.

The flat is one of 6 in a 3 storey block all in private ownership – 2 owner occupied, 4 tenanted - communal entrance leading to the flats .

I need to get a spec together so that I, on behalf of the owners can go to tender – I reckon FD30, new frame, hinges, retardant strip, wire reinforced glazed window, no letter box, ironmongery. I need something a little bit professional for the tender.

I believe that the installation needs to be certified – so that rules out my local carpenter.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I assume you need 6 of these yes?

It's not the communal entrance door you are considering?
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,262
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Robin9 wrote: »
    The requirement hasn’t come from a person – its from legislation in the Form of the Fire reform Act, which talks in terms of Fire risk Assessment. Having done that we consider that the doors should be replaced - the existing are a standard composite door of the 1970’s.

The flat is one of 6 in a 3 storey block all in private ownership – 2 owner occupied, 4 tenanted - communal entrance leading to the flats .

I need to get a spec together so that I, on behalf of the owners can go to tender – I reckon FD30, new frame, hinges, retardant strip, wire reinforced glazed window, no letter box, ironmongery. I need something a little bit professional for the tender.

I believe that the installation needs to be certified – so that rules out my local carpenter.

If you state FD30 then most carpenters should know what that entails. I don't think you need to change the door lining, but 3x fire hinges, intumescent strips and he correct closer. You can buy fire rated letter boxes if you wish. If they are front doors then it will be cheaper to not have glass. Also be careful what you decorate with, I think you should not use oil based coatings.
  • Robin9 wrote: »

Watching with interest we are in the exact same situation at our block, I need to go through the whole section 20 consultation process. Ive had a rough costing and am expecting it to be in the region of £3k which seems very expensive. OP please keep us posted.
  • eddddy
    Forumite
    In your position I wouldn't attempt to write a detailed spec. You're not the 'professional', it's the person who is fitting the door who is the 'professional'.

In the tender, I would be telling suppliers that I need fire doors that meet the requirements of the Fire Reform Act 2007, and that will pass a fire officer's inspection (or whatever).

The suppliers should then tell you what spec they will use (which you can double check and query, if required).

Because if you make a mistake in a spec, and the doors fail inspection, you are liable. But if the supplier makes a mistake in the spec, and the doors fail inspection they are more likely to be liable.

(Just like you wouldn't tell a mechanic what spec of brakes to fit to your car - if they fit the wrong spec and it fails the MOT as a result, you expect the mechanic to sort it out.)
  • red40
    red40 Posts: 264 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2016 at 12:32PM
    OP you would be best choosing the appropriate fire door, obtain the manufacturer and fire door model number and go onto their website and download the third party certification.

Certainly do not leave the existing door frame in as it would not be tested by an accredited test station as a complete set. All fire doors sold in the UK are required to have third party certification, whether its a fire door from Premdor, Jeld-Wen, etc they have all been placed on a rig with a complete door frame and door furniture and tested to ensure it meets the British or European standard to attain the 20, 30 or 60, etc standard.

OP you can always look at the British Woodworking Federation website for fire door installers http://www.bwfcertifire.org.uk/fire-door-safety/fire-door-installers-register

If you need to do your own specification, choose a fire door, identify the manufacturer and door number and look on their website for the third party certification. Always stick to the door spec http://www.bwfcertifire.org.uk/fire-door-safety/stay-safe-stick-to-the-spec

Below is the link for a Premdor fire door third party certification. Generally CF198 and CF380 are the doors I see the most fitted. Go to the data sheet, that will give you the relevant specification for door frame size, density, door furniture, gaps around the head and sides, etc. Any fire door needs to be fitted to the third party certification.

http://www.premdor.co.uk/downloads/fire-certificates

All fire door manufacturers will have a similar third party certification to show that they have been suitably tested to the required minimum British or alternatively the European safety standards.

HTH
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,054
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Watching with interest we are in the exact same situation at our block, I need to go through the whole section 20 consultation process. Ive had a rough costing and am expecting it to be in the region of £3k which seems very expensive. OP please keep us posted.

My initial thoughts are that probably £300/£400 per door - its surprising how much hinges and locks add up to.

My ignorance - what's section 20 ?
  • eddddy
    Forumite
    Robin9 wrote: »
    My ignorance - what's section 20 ?

If a freeholder is doing works on a building and the cost to each leaseholder will be over £250 - the freeholder must carry out a section 20 consultation.

If the freeholder doesn't do this, the leaseholders do not have to pay the freeholder for the work.

In your case, if the work is more than £250 per flat, perhaps the 6 leaseholders are volunteering to pay - which is fine.

But if one or more of them refuse to pay, you can't force them to - unless you've done a section 20 consultation.

(Unless perhaps you are joint freeholders, and you have all entered into some agreement as joint freeholders to share costs.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure