PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cold Washing your Laundry

Comments

• shanni
    shanni Posts: 353 Forumite
    :) I can definitely vouch for cold washing. I started doing this as my mum who lives in Oz always washes with cold (must be a thing in Oz and Nz). I use asda's delicate washing liquid, but only a small amount.

I don't use fabric conditioner in the washer but 'spray it on my clothes as they dry. I use an empty spray bottle (fine mist) and use 3/4 fabric conditioner and 1 part water. Makes a good room/carpet freshener too.

I rarely wash anything on hot. I don't reckon adults get their everyday/work/ clothes 'dirty', they just need freshening up more than anything.

Another tip for washing machines is not to use the highest spin for clothing ( I do for bedding and towels) as it's supposed to ruin clothes over time.
    Shanni
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Does anyone wash their clothes in cold water in the washer? I am thinking of ways to save on electric and wondered if it would work as well as washing in warm? :)
    :)
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes I wash most things on a cold wash and they come out OK. The only things I wash on a warm wash are bedding, the dogs blankets and the children's PE kits and even then I only do them on a 40 degree wash.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry being abit thick, do you only plumb in the cold water tap or do you mean you set the temperature to 30, I think thats the lowest on my machine without looking.

For the record I use 40 for ordinary clothes, 50 for bedding and 95 for OH oily overalls.
  • I was in John Lewis on the weekend looking at washer driers and all washer driers are only cold water. The guy at John Lewis who was very helpful said in the past, the enzymes in washing powders were only activated at warm temperatures, but after research and developments with washing powder, these days the enzymes can be released in cold water. I don't know if it is a load of salesman's b*ll*cks, but I am sure the manufacturers would not make cold only washing machines if your clothes won't get clean.
  • I wash most things in cold, although maybe a bit warmer if there's dirt that could benefit from the warmer water helping it loosen. I do wash sheets and towels in the hottest water (there is a temperature that kills e. coli, etc, but below that and you might as well wash in cold.)
    :beer:
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Some washing machines only have a cold water connection but will then heat the water for the washing. I imagine each machine has a different set of programmes but most will involve water heating.
  • vivaladiva
    vivaladiva Posts: 2,425 Forumite
    Ariel are currently plugging the fact that their powder works brilliantly at 30 degrees. Maybe its worth a trial?
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :j Hi there

I've just started washing some ouf our clothes at 30 deg and it seems to be working out fine. I often have to soak the LO's clothes anyway as she's 3 so this tends to shift the stains. I've also been using 1/2 powder and 1/2 soda crystals and have worked out I can save about 25% on my powder costs.

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport