PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• Kimsmum
    Kimsmum Posts: 221 Forumite
    I would love to join.
    I started last night a put five things on ebay, well thats a start.
    Today I am going to go through the paperwork in the spare room and shred what I dont need and put the rest in a folder.
    Taking it one day at a time
  • Charlies_mum, I didn't think I'd ever get rid of books, but it seems silly to have shelves full of them when neither hubby or I can see to read them anymore.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    this is one of my 2012 missions too, to dejunk and organise. As I work full time, I'm going to tackle one room a month. I figure even if I can only do 15 minutes here and there a month is plenty of time to bring a room out of chaos. By the end of the year the house should look much better.

So I've started with the study. I've found most of the floor :D and once I clear a big pile of marking and take it back to school I should find a bit more. Have written a list, which is broken down into lots of little decluttering jobs followed by deep clean instructions.

If will be spotless by February!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,195
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    something I found on Pinterest which may be of interest to some of you is a decluttering calendar, see http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2011.htm it's for 2011 rather than 2012 but the principle is the same.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,946
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I should like to join in too, if i may?

I am heartily sick of the junk in our house. We used to move house every 5 years or so, due to my OH's work, and could have a declutter as part of that process. However, we have been in this one 13 years and are likely to be there for at least another 6, until the youngest leaves school. My OH is a bit of a hoarder, and there is stuff I don't want to get rid of. DS is moving from child to teenager and so there is much in his room he has outgrown. DD finds it hard to get rid of stuff.

We are going to start in the study - full of old college notes for me and him, CD's by the hundreds, many of which have not been played for years and just general carp.

I am going to ebay and music magpie some stuff to save for a winter holiday next year.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I NEED to join in, too, please! Our house is really bad, to the point where I can't find important documents I need - we have them somewhere, but.....! :rotfl:

I managed to get rid of 3 bin bags of stuff to the tip before Christmas, and DH has taken half a bootful of stuff to drop off today. Something that helps me is aiming for one little job every day - if I do more that's a bonus - or doing one cupboard or drawer per day...AND KEEPING IT TIDY!! :D

I reckon we could dispose of around 70% of everything we have and still have enough clothes, toys and other possessions - they'd just have proper homes.

Looking forward to lots of motivation!

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • coldcazzie
    coldcazzie Posts: 1,407
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'd like to join :) I actually started at the beginning of December. 2 car loads went to the tip from our attic so we could have loft insulation put in. We sorted 3 boxes of stuff which has sat in there for a year since we moved into this house, and I organised the girl clothes that DD1 has outgrown that are waiting for DD2 to grow into. I donated a bunch (the stuff I couldn't eBay) to the local food bank, which passes out clothes to people who have nothing. I have a box of stuff and a bag of clothes which I've photographed to go on eBay at the next free listing weekend opportunity. Last night I got ruthless with our DVDs and traded them at TurnIntoCash, they'll get posted off asap. I also nagged the man-wife into eating a frog he's been putting off for the last 6 months - sorting out his jumpers and t-shirts. I now have a bag of stuff to go to a local shelter that operates during the winter to feed and clothe homeless folk, as well as another bag of kids clothes, and he has room in his drawers to fit all his clothes, instead of piling them up on top as well! Lol.

I'm feeling good. I went through a low patch between October and December. I got an email which basically told me I'm crap at what I do. Because of that I flunked an exam I needed to do well in (all my assignments were leading towards a grade 1 pass - 85%+ but my exam mark was about 50%). I had been advised not to take the email to heart, the lady concerned seems to think it's her responsibility to inform others of their faults as often as possible under the guise of offering to "help work on them". Basically she's a busybody. But that doesn't mean she wasn't wrong, and that reality check hurt. It'll probably do me good in the long run, but at the moment I'm still reeling from the repercussions. Anyway, decluttering has started me back on the road to feeling good again. I can see parts of my bedroom floor I haven't seen for months! Sorry about the ramble, I didn't intend that...
    LolaLemon wrote: »
    Really want to sort my head out, which in turn would help with the depression, but to do that I need to clear the house, as it is all related (in my head anyways lol)

It is not that far fetched. I read a mag article once that "stuff" absorbs energy; the more "stuff" you have cluttering up your home, the more of your energy it saps from you and the more likely you are to procrastinate about things, feel down, etc etc. At first it seems a bizzare concept, but I can see where the author was coming from. Your house is cluttered, you feel down about it and lack the motivation to clear it, meaning it gets more cluttered... downwards spiral.... I'll see if I can find an online link :)
    This is another problem. I love books and have hundreds, but don't want a Kindle. Think I would need to live to be about 200 to read them all

I have this problem too - so many books I have run out of space for them... one of my tasks this year is to put shelves up on the wall so that the books can go up and not be cluttering my bedroom floor. I'm sick of walking into that stupid bookcase! My hips hate me! Bruises everywhere! :rotfl:
    Rule 7: If you're not changing it, you're choosing it.
    MFW 2020: 1 Jan £92903.90 ~ OP £536.80/£500
    MFW 2021: 1 Jan £89281.21 ~ OP £404.62/£500
    MFW 2022: 1 Jan £85579.20 ~ OPs on hold.
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm in too! I'm moving house in January or February and DD (age 6) and I are going to a lovely, but smaller in some respects place.....i.e. a soon to be 2-bed bungalow rather than a 3-bed house. I have taken tons of stuff to the tip/charity shops but it still looks like I've not touched the place :(

I love stuff and like to think that I declutter well, but a good example is this: I broke my ankle very badly 13 years ago and since then haven't really been able to wear heels or nice shoes. However, I have still kept on buying them from time to time, lower heels etc, in the hope that on a good day I can wear them. Yes.....well, a good day, means I've been able to clatter around the house in them but never outside! I broke my same leg earlier this year and have now been told that I'm going to need to have my ankle fused in the next few years (yes, as gruesome as it sounds) which means instead of pretending I can wear heels, I will never be able to wear heels :(

So....guess how many pairs of heels I've managed to get rid of? 2. The rest have stayed so far as they're so pretty.....and I should try and wear them before I get the final nod that I'm having the big op, never mind the fact I'm on so much medication to stop me from feeling like my leg is disintegrating it's not true!!

Silly billy.

So, it starts today.....but I might see if there's some biscuits in the kitchen I can declutter first ;)
  • something I found on Pinterest which may be of interest to some of you is a decluttering calendar, see http://www.mysimplerlife.com/2011.htm it's for 2011 rather than 2012 but the principle is the same.

I just looked at that :eek: I don't think there's enough hours in the day for all the things I have to do each day, but it'd be lovely to be able to do those too!
    DEBT: £3585.91/£76843
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2018 #033 £635.78/£2435.78
    EMERGENCY FUND: £1000/£1000
    Our greatest weakness lies in giving up; always try just one more time
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Kittikins, why not decide to keep yourself one pair (an absolute favourite) as a momento / keepsake? Then you can choose all the others to CS or sell on eBay... That way you can 'compare all the other shoes to the fav one you're keeping and it should make it easier to decide on getting rid of the rest

Also, knowing that you might get some money from eBay for the others would be a good boost to your moral, pocket and decluttering in prep for your move :D
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport