PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

unsalted butter?

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There was a butter shortage in the 70s, most people moved over to Stork margarine at that point because butter was too expensive.

In our house we'd use Stork margarine for everything, from baking through to frying chips. In fact my parents only stopped using Stork about 5 years ago. As I grew up on Stork I'd never bought butter myself until recently. A block of Stork will work for most things.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    I don't think I've ever eaten Stork in my life - my mum used to call it "axle grease"!
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think 95% of my baking is made with Stork. I'm so used to the taste of it that my baking wouldn't taste right to us with anything else! Only thing I use butter for is buttercream icing. I use block Stork for pastry and soft Stork for anything that needs creaming.
    Val.
  • misspenny
    Options
    i second valk_scot you'll get away with margarine in most thing except butter cream icing, margarine cream iceing is just nasty, i also insist on butter for shortbread but everything else turns out fine with marg, tho i have on the odd ocasion resorted to using olivio and thats a bad idea
    twins on board
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    if something calls for unsalted butter i just use salted lol!
    Me too, I don't like unsalted butter. If a recipe writer says you must use unsalted butter it makes me even more determined to use salted. I like a touch of salt in sweet things especially chocolatey things.

As for Anchor or Lurpak -absolutely no way! Support the British dairy farmers and buy British butter.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Me too, I don't like unsalted butter.

Did you not try unsalted butter in Normandy :confused: We loved it - really sweet flavour :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Oldernotwiser
    Options
    I'm just amazed that so many people seem to find unsalted butter so unusual. I wouldn't use it for everything but there's nothing particularly odd about it.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 September 2009 at 4:40PM
    Options
    I'm just amazed that so many people seem to find unsalted butter so unusual. I wouldn't use it for everything but there's nothing particularly odd about it.
    Who finds it unusual? I just like salty butter. I think the OP can't get it at her nearest shop.

Penny, no I couldn't find Normandy butter in the little supermarket near our gite. I thought it was strange but they did have lots of Brittany butter so we had that- Bridel was the brand. You can get it here. I chose the salted version 'cos that's what I like;)
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    my old mum always used Echo hard margerine - still does! I prefer real butter and dont care if its salted or unsalted! but I can taste the difference in our baking blindfold! even in things like welshcakes where you would think the spices mask it.
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Options
    I currently use Sainsburys marg but I am thinking of switching to butter - I don't use marg on sandwiches etc only butter as I prefer the taste. However the trans fats in marg are playing on my mind so am thinking of butter instead. Only thing that puts me off is the cost! And I already use value butter LOL!
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport