No Aeriel - Am I stuck with Virgin?

Options
Just wondering if anyone is or has been in a similiar position as us. We've been with NTL/Virgin Media for a little over 10 years now. We pay around £40 for our telephone, BB and TV (all pretty basic stuff, we have a phone add on for Evening and Weekend Calls).

I know of some reasonable deals with BB and phone however, I think we are really stuck for the TV element. We would ideally like something that is anti subscription, or well, cheap - Just because we don't really watch it, just news in the morning and kids TV after school. But as the topic states, we don't have an aeriel, we've had a quote of £160 for an install and while I'm not against shelling out, I was wondering if anyone knew of any alternatives which might suit - There are so many about now, Freeview, Freesat, NowTV, TopUp TV - I haven't got a clue if we actually need the aeriel or not, and if not, whether it's worth the investment).

Thanks in advance
L
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Freeview is terrestrial needs an aerial.
    Youview is terrestrial needs an aerial and an internet connection.
    Freesat needs a satellite dish, some also have an internet connection.
    Now TV is an internet service.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    You may be able to drop the price of virgin abit, if you drop down to thier TV M service, which is basically freeview. This with phone and BB should be around £30.

For the BB, have you already checked what is available to you?
  • Kurtis_Blue
    Kurtis_Blue Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    Options
    Bunnylaw wrote: »
    But as the topic states, we don't have an aeriel, we've had a quote of £160 for an install and while I'm not against shelling out,

Get a few more quotes, whilst that may not be an out of range quote, you will probably get it a bit cheaper for a standard property install some installers are struggling post DSO.
    Stay away from the national company's and call a few locals from CAI or RDI.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Get a few more quotes, whilst that may not be an out of range quote, you will probably get it a bit cheaper for a standard property install some installers are struggling post DSO.
    Stay away from the national company's and call a few locals from CAI or RDI.
    For those unfamiliar with the abbreviations...
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 April 2014 at 10:03AM
    Options
    We currently don't have a working TV aerial (my husband laid loft boards and we think he has cut/unplugged the cable!)

We watch free TV through our Sky box which is still plugged in even though we stopped our Sky contract a while ago. We also have a little NOW TV box which I pay £4.99 (a month) but 'when I choose to' for the entertainment package. When I don't pay the £4.99 I just use it for catch-up for BBC iplayer, 4OD and 5 on Demand. I do believe ITV Player is coming later in the year.

I also have a cable that plugs from my laptop to the TV so I can watch anything that can be viewed online but on my TV so everyone can see the screen.

ETA: If you cancelled Virgin TV, would you still get the 'free' channels on the box like we do with the Sky box?
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    socks_uk wrote: »
    If you cancelled Virgin TV, would you still get the 'free' channels on the box like we do with the Sky box?
    Virgin don't provide any service to non-subscribers, so the answer is no.

In your case, it's the satellite dish receiving the Free-To-Air channels via your
    non-subscribed Sky box.

Virgin simply cut the feed and no channels are available to non-customers via cable.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For those unfamiliar with the abbreviations...
    Nothing like a good TLA, three letter acronym.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even a new aerial at around £100 will earn the investment back in just 2.5 months.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Even a new aerial at around £100 will earn the investment back in just 2.5 months.

Thats not actually true, for 2.5 months would mean a saving £40 a month.

But the £40/month they are paying is for phone, broadband and tv, not just for TV.

They will still have to pay for the phone/broadband
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Correct. But the same prinicple applies nevertheless. It's daft to pay for a subscription TV service for ever, rather than invest in an aerial or sat dish, if you don't watch the subscription channels.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport