PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Draught Excluders

Comments

• I always used socks or tights and this worked well, I also make little tabs
    (think tabtob curtains) that were long enough to go under the door and sewed on old cotton reels (which I guess you could decorate to look prettier) so that it was "self closing" with reels on outside of door and excluder on inside if that makes any sense.
  • Carrier bags, towels, cotton reels - oh you are a clever lot - thank you, thank you, thank you.

I was looking at some in Morrisons the other day, they were selling for a £5 each - maybe something to think about - local craft fair, jumble sale etc???? hmmmmm - can you hear the cogs turning????? lol
    C Card £5218.68 (Feb 2011)
    £2 coins (No 085) - £190
    Mort overpayments 2011 - £418.06
  • hi my house is so drafty. i want to make some draft excluders and i want to include my 3 year old little girl too but im unsure what to use for the best and how! also we have a puppy who we have to let out alot and its just so cold.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanx
  • I just made one by stuffing old tights with cut up old tshirts. Seems to work pretty well :)
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Danielle - you need two lengths of material, doesn't matter what sort of material but the thicker the better I think. Stitch them together then stuff them either with old tights, as has been mentioned, or other old pieces of material so it's packed tight before you stitch the end up.
    If you want your daughter to be involved in it you could sew some felt ears on and stitch a couple of buttons on for eyes and probably plait some wool to stich on for a tail so it's a bit like a dog.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • Hi there,
    Have you got any old pairs of trousers, the kids or yours? sew up the ends & stuff with any old bits of material and or newspapers or even old carrier bags. If you have any dried beans that you could put in, but it will tak alot, that would be even better as they are heavier to move. Get your little girl to make some eyes, nose, mouth & ears out of scraps of material & then stick them on & you have your own sausage dog.
    Good Luck!
    :j :D :j :D :j :D :j :D :j :D :j :D :j
    March 2006 Bad debt = £42647.92 :eek:
    Jan 2008 Bad debt = £474.49 :T
    Plan to be Bad deb free by June 2008
    :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
  • thanks fo the ideas will be doing those at the weekend. i love the eyes mouth n tail suggestions too she will love that
  • grandma
    grandma Posts: 98 Forumite
    I am looking for a draught excluder pattern in the shape of an animal,dog/cat/crocodile etc.
    My youngest son and his wife wants me to make some for his home but as they have 2 young children they will be doubling up as a toy.{They don't have many toys,only a large conservatory full of them,poor things!}I have searched the internet but only came up with a snake.I'm sure there is some OS out there who can help.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi grandma,

There are no exact patterns, but this thread may help:

Draught Excluders

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Have a look at THIS I think it could be done by attaching toys onto a fabric sausage.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback