Trouble claiming ppi back from a company called 'credit plus'

So,

back in 2007 I used a car finance broker called Credit Plus.

The mis - sold me PPI and basically guilted me into taking it by taking advantage of me as a young 20 yr old buying her first car and telling me that there could be a chance my finance wouldn't be approved unless I took it out.

I totally forgot about the PPI until a couple of month until the end of my loan (in 2010) and I lost my job. When ringing credit plus to tell them this and ask if I could arrange a payment plan, the lady advised me that I had PPI! I asked then if I could make use of it and she said no. I had to of been out of work for 3 or 4 months or more. Useless anyway!

Anyway, about 2 years ago now I sought the help of a solicitors to help me claim back this PPI. We estimated I am owed about £1k

The whole process has gone on, and on, and on, and on being passed from pillar to post, between the brokers who sold me the PPI and the actual creditors (who actually have nothing to do with the PPI element of the finance). Now, after 2 whole years finally, someone at Credit Plus has responded to my solicitors and flat out LIED and claimed that they don't, nor have they EVER sold PPI with car finance. - This, is quite clearly utter rubbish and I am shocked an appalled that they are actually lying. Not only do they currently have the option to take out PPI on their loan application page on their site (which wouldn't be there if they claim that they don't offer PPI) but I know 150% I WAS mis-sold PPI back in 2007 with my car finance.

Throughout this entire process, I was also shocked to hear that my solicitors have never actually requested my original agreement documents to prove otherwise!! It's madness! I have now taken it upon myself to request my original agreement papers as the solicitors have said that without that, they can do no more for me.

I am fuming, to say the least. I have sent a couple of emails now to request my original agreement as apparently the 'only man who deals with this' is on annual leave fora week. Probably utter tosh as well.

I know full well that I was sold PPI, but I am now terrified that when (or IF) they eventually agree to send me my original documents, that they might tamper with them to remove the evidence... is this possible?!! The company are clearly total liars and I wouldn't put it past them!

Has anyone else had dealings with Credit Plus when trying to claim back PPI?!

Thanks in advance,
Jess :mad:

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I suggest you read this befoe you start fuming more to see where you went wrong. You cannot ask for your original agreement if the account is closed.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    "but I know 150% "

uggh
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The cost of your solicitor may outweigh any redress for PPI that you may have had, was it a no win no fee basis?.

Did you actually use this company for a loan or did you buy the car from a dealer?.
  • _Andy_ wrote: »
    "but I know 150% "

uggh

No need to be quite so condescending and rude. I DO know full well that I was sold PPI with this car finance.

In answer to other questions, Yes I did take out finance with this broker. And to whoever said I can't get documentation, it seems I can - the solicitors haven't told me I can't and the people I have spoken to so far at the brokers haven't said it'll be an issue, but just need to speak to the correct person.

I am not paying the solicitors anything. It's no win no fee and they will take 15%

Anyway. thanks.
  • -taff wrote: »
    I suggest you read this befoe you start fuming more to see where you went wrong. You cannot ask for your original agreement if the account is closed.

I've just read through this and it doesn't state that you can't get your paperwork if the account it closed at all. So don't know where you got that from?! It says:

Closed account? You can ask for a full breakdown of your whole account, specifically including the insurance. If it takes longer than 40 days, report it to the Information CommissionerThis can cost £10 so you could include a £10 cheque (not cash).
  • I've just read through this and it doesn't state that you can't get your paperwork if the account it closed at all. So don't know where you got that from?!
    He got it from the article which you helpfully quoted.

In order to get a "full breakdown" , you'll need to submit a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter for £10. . So, as -taff said, "you cannot request your original agreement if the account is closed".

So best to stop "fuming" and write that £10 cheque.
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My question was not answered.
    Did you get the car from a dealer or did you get the loan from a broker and then bought the car?.

If you got the car from the dealer, these are who you put the claim into.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 February 2013 at 9:24AM

I am not paying the solicitors anything. It's no win no fee and they will take 15%
    So, in other words, you are paying the solicitors 15% of any redress you win!

You do realise that you could have complained for free (apart, perhaps, from the £10 for a SAR)?

Do also note that even a SAR won't net you the original agreement you sought because the account is closed.
    amersall wrote: »
    A competent solicitor would know this already, of course;)
  • amersall wrote: »
    My question was not answered.
    Did you get the car from a dealer or did you get the loan from a broker and then bought the car?.

No, I got finance through the broker, NOT a dealer. The brokers also sourced the car for me.

Ok, well thanks for your answers. I will write a £10 cheque then and ask for a full breakdown of my agreement.
  • So, in other words, you are paying the solicitors 15% of any redress you win!

You do realise that you could have complained for free (apart, perhaps, from the £10 for a SAR)?

Do also note that even a SAR won't net you the original agreement you sought because the account is closed.

A competent solicitor would know this already, of course;)

Thanks, but I wasn't confident enough to do it alone as I am not clued up on these matters. There's no need to be so patronizing. I only asked for help from a solicitors as these particular ones were recommended to me and only take 15% rather than 20% as a lot do.

Now that I have some more info on what to do, and (clearly, the solicitors aren't as good as I was told they were!) I probably will go it alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure