PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    GQ

I am so glad you had that time with your nan and I hope you have as good a work day as possible. Sending virtual hug and vibes to keep nasties away.

I need to move some stuff for recycling and things like laminate from the integral garage to the outside one and then let Henry loose on the bits of tatty carpet on the floor. The first go did not do much as the plaster dust etc is ingrained. :eek:

There is no way I could try to kondo in one go as what fits in a small flat for a young girl in Japan is very different to what a person in their sixties moving from a five bedroom house with six people in it has to deal with.

I drag one removal box at a time into the living room and sort through what stays, what goes and what dds might want. My wardrobe now has clothes arranged so all trousers, dresses, jackets, tops are together , sorted by colour and size. My small chest of drawers has all underwear and socks etc folded and easily found which makes life much easier.

My youngest phoned me at the weekend saying how little space she had to put things and I suggested folding things like underwear and socks vertically rather than stuffing them in a drawer. There was a bit of a pause and then she asked "Oh is that why you fold and roll clean tea towels in a kitchen drawer?"
    Hopefully she no longer thinks I am a complete weirdo and there is a method in the madness.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Morning all
    Hugs to everyone, glad the weekend went as well as it could for you GQ, please be as gentle with yourself as you can.

Just did some undercoating on the wardrobe door frames, the masking tape was dire and wouldn't stick I've persevered with it but whT I don't use from this batch will be Kondoed into the bin so it cant frustrate me again.

Need to ring my mum, do work then think about today's mins game.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Good afternoon all.

Thinking of you GQ and hope work is kind to you.

Hope everyone's day goes well. x
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Afternoon, all.

Today was OK, I'd had 8 hours sleep but still felt exhausted. The customers were fine and nothing insane happened, just the usual Monday overflow of work.

I decided no to cooking tonight and am going to have a fish supper. Taking it easy for the rest of the day, may have a small tidy around the sitting-room before I break my neck on the bags of Stuff on the floor (stuff from yesterday plus the contents of the kitchen cupboards.

The latter are slowly drying out and it doesn't smell mouldy in there any more, thank goodness.

Thanks again for all your emotional support, you really are the best forumites anywhere in t'interwebulator, you know?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Hugs to you GQ too...please make sure that you take care of yourself during this time. I know from own experience that I tend to forget to look after ourselves when looking after others or being there for others too.

On the kondoing front, nothing more has left the house...am back in study mode (not too well i might add, but am trying), so not much will get done. however DH has now decided that he wants rid of his many DVDs...so let us see people if that really happens.

Love him to bits, but he can't half change his mind at a drop of a hat!

SIL x
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Electrician has been and I now have new wireless heating controls that mean upstairs and downstairs work separately. Plus I can manage the heating when I'm away from home. It's an intelligent system so in theory I don't need to programme it, just let it work out when I want it to work... in practice I think I might use a combination of programming and learning.

I've also been to the pharmacy and have drugs for my cold... but it seems to have turned into a chest infection so I'm hoping it will go away. I've spent most of the afternoon on the sofa reading :)

I also braved Ikea as I needed a new kitchen light (electrician will fit it tomorrow) and bought peace lilies and cyclamen and some ferns which hopefully I will keep alive and will help clean the air. I also found a plant stand that will be perfect as a bedside table (once painted) where I was having trouble finding anything small enough to fit, and some wooden crates as well as various other odds and ends.

I've been thinking about the kitchen, and am back to thinking that freestanding is the way to go. I'd need a unit for an eye-level double oven, and to work out how to fit a gas hob, but it will mean I can buy the bits I want slowly, and keep it flexible.

I need to talk to the builder about finishing stuff off. And plan to get the rest of the floors, kitchen and hall ceiling, electrics and plumbing done in the spring. Decorating can wait.
  • Can I ask, how many of you actually use Marie Kondo's way of folding?

I tried it with some items and it didn't work for me. I didn't like how I couldn't really see what was there and folding and getting it to self stand was murder.
  • My main storage is a triple wardrobe, so I haven't really folded much apart from socks as I only have four small drawers. My towels and linen lie flat in the ottoman and I don't go in there much as I'm doing the 'wearing them out' thing with the towels and sheets and keeping the same ones in constant use. So no brownie points for rolling items here. :(

My current focus is still paperwork - I had a big filing session yesterday, and the next job is to go through the individual files. I envisage much shredding. :D

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I KM fold my knickers, OH's boxers and our tshirts, my vest tops & our jeans. My scarves are folded and rolled. PJs are also KM folded. I don't KM fold socks & stockings. Most other things are hung up - all of OH's shirts and suits, my dresses & skirts, work trousers/ blouses/ tops/ thin jumpers. We have the hanging room so I see little point in folding those, especially as they are the very crease-able items :)

Small bag of artist paints and brushes released to a friend yesterday :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • I fold t shirts and roll my tops and km fold/roll my undies and the menfolks boxers but most other stuff is hung. The towels are rolled or folded in the airing cupboard depending on my mood or who puts them away
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure