Disability Living Allowance Points System

I am already in receipt of DLA for my back problems. I've been watching these boards and noticed that many people seem to be getting turned down for renewal of claims.
Before I start to fill out my forms, can someone please point me towards a site that specifies points etc.
I'm getting really nervous about the whole thing. I've been trying to come off my anti depressents and I suppose the stress of all this isn't going to help!
Any help greatfully appreciated. x

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am not sure if you mean points as in scoring points. If you do, there is not a points system for DLA.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    DLA is not based on points, IB is (well was, not sure if ESA is the same?). DLA is based on your care/ mobility needs, and how often you have these needs.

There are many different guides on the internet, but the information that the Decision Makers use is all on the DWP website. I used this because I think it makes sense to relate your needs to exactly what they are comparing them against.

Could I ask do you have a specific diagnosis for your back? I'll post a link to the info (it is well hidden) after I've had my dinner! ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »
    DLA is not based on points, IB is (well was, not sure if ESA is the same?). DLA is based on your care/ mobility needs, and how often you have these needs.

There are many different guides on the internet, but the information that the Decision Makers use is all on the DWP website. I used this because I think it makes sense to relate your needs to exactly what they are comparing them against.

Could I ask do you have a specific diagnosis for your back? I'll post a link to the info (it is well hidden) after I've had my dinner! ;)

ESA is still based on a points system but things have been changed so that to qualify the points needed for both physical and mental health are 15.
  • dmg24
    OK, there are two places on the DWP site that you need to look:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/medical/med_conditions/a-z.asp will have specific guidance relating to your condition. The DM will look at this and consider how your description of the condition matches up with the relevant medical information. If you are not a textbook case, don't worry, it just means that they are more likely to seek additional medical information (either from your own medical team, or from a DWP medical practitioner, or both).

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/dwp/dmg/ is the Decision Makers Guide. You need to go to Volume 10, then Chapter 61.

There is an absolute mass of information in the above, that might seem far too complex to digest. It really isn't that bad, you just need to take it bit by bit, and once you get past the first few bits, the information you need will become much easier to find.

If you need any more info, or any help getting round the DMG, just give me a shout.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Aww thanks DMG! To answer your question I have been diagnosed with an acquired grade1 Spondylolisthesis, defect of the pars, damage to the sacro-iliac joint, degenerative dics and Spina Bifida Occulta. I suffer with pain in the low back and sometimes muscle spasms in the lower back may occur and pain and a weakness down my right leg and thigh.
  • dmg24
    No probs! From the conditions you have mentioned, you also need to look at the Disability Handbook. If you use the A-Z list above to find the names of the conditions, some of them say DHB xx, and that information will be in the Disability Handbook.

It might be worth identifying what you need and then printing it out. I find it is easier to digest if you haven't got all the irrelevant stuff around it.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I am already in receipt of DLA for my back problems. I've been watching these boards and noticed that many people seem to be getting turned down for renewal of claims.
    Before I start to fill out my forms, can someone please point me towards a site that specifies points etc.
    I'm getting really nervous about the whole thing. I've been trying to come off my anti depressents and I suppose the stress of all this isn't going to help!
    Any help greatfully appreciated. x
    If you feel under stress with the form you could get a benefits advisor to help you with it as they deal with them all the time. There is also a higher success rate if you have help like this.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport