PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• XSpender wrote: »

The meal plan for next week is:

F- AGCJ Chicken in a creamy mustard sauce with green beans and new potatoes
    S- SW Chicken and Chorizo Spanish Rice
    Su - Chicken Pie, mash, kale, carrots, cauli and gravy
    Mo - If SH away I will have a JP or SW pastie with beans if DH is home Veggie chilli, spicy wedges and grated cheese
    Tu - Jamaican Chicken, rice and roasted veg (courgettes, BNS, carrot, red onion)
    We -SW pasties, SW chips and mushy peas
    Th- SW burgers (beef and in a bun for DH, veg and no bun for me), SW onion rings, spicy wedges and corn
    F - SW Sweet and Sour Chicken and rice

The plan is to make enough chilli, Jamaican chicken/roasted veg and pasties to cover several of our lunches this week. I will also make some SW inspired courgette, feta and mint fritters and a most-definitely-not SW pear and mincemeat cake for snacks and pudding on Sunday with custard (the cake for pudding not the fritters ;))

We are not gong to SW currently but I really like the food and the emphasis on lots of veg so I am using their recipes for inspiration. DH says he is feeling trimmer this week :)

Your menu sounds delicious, how do you make the onion rings?
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • I did my main weekly shop at Ald! yesterday and spent £80.87, should only need a top up of milk and bread products on Monday, as well as some cheese spread which I forgot to get!

I'm going to try portioning up the breakfast cereal, in the hope it'll last longer as I'm eating far to much at the moment.

I'm going to have a go at making some soup tomorrow, I need something in the fridge that i can pour into a cup and heat up when I want something quick and warming.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Evening folks

Spends today in Al*i of £17.56 which I've added to my siggie :D

Have ordered a turkey crown, and beef sausage-meat for the stuffing, from our butcher and DH will collect on the 23rd.

I must try to find time to make some beef dripping. My butcher doesn't have time to make it anymore and roast pots are not the same without proper dripping.

Hope you all have a super weekend
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • £26 Asda top up takes me to £223.70? I think.
    Not too bad. Most of next week sorted and then we’re away (not grocery budget!)
    Family of 4 and a cat, trying to reduce outgoings GC JAN £225.94/£250 GC FEB £93.20/£250
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Okay.

Given the pants week last week and the continuing low morale - I've decided I'm taking my team to lunch this week...I'm going to budget £80 for the 5 of us

An afternoon away from work was exactly what we needed - and under budget at a square £50 (inc tip).

We've agreed we're going to do something similar on the 5th December and one of my team is going to look into a team volunteering day/morning with a local charity.

Only other spends were £1 on a slice of cake :o

Now today and tomorrow is prepping breakfasts and lunches for next week to they and keep in good habits :A

Total spend so far in November = £49.14* food + £73.25 'social'

*not inc pending Ocado delivery of c.£66
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Would love the recipe for lentil and bacon soup! Please :)
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    RedFraggle wrote: »
    Weekend update

Total so far £225.01 which is 56% on the budget I set of £400 and I'm 60% of the way through my 3 shops. On target :j

4th shop: Spend today £50.79
    During the week I bought 3 packs of munchies, 2 on 2 for £1 then 1@92p another day. 1 bottle of coke £1.56 (crazy petrol station!).1 bottle of spar coke 84p (more like it), 1 bottle of shiraz £4.35 and the milk delivery is actually less than I thought £3.34. Total for the week is £62.80

Total so far £287.81 across 4 shops with one shop to go! Reckon I might come in under £350 which would be brilliant! :T

Officially in a clique of idiots
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,691
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Would love the recipe for lentil and bacon soup! Please :)

HTH. It's easy-peasy, cheap and tasty. This quantity will serve 6 and it can be cooled/portioned up/frozen at the end of Stage 4.

1 tablespoon oil
    115g/4 oz lean streaky bacon (rinds removed), chopped into small pieces (you can use cooking bacon bits to make it even more economical)
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    ¼ celeriac, chopped (I didn’t have this so used chopped celery instead)
    225g/8 oz red lentils
    1.5 litres/2 ¼ pints stock (chicken, vegetable or ham, home-made or from a stock cube)
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    S & P

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the bacon, stirring occasionally until it just begins to brown.
    2. Stir in the onion, carrots and celeriac and cook gently for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are pale golden brown.
    3. Stir in the lentils, stock and tomato puree. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 30 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are soft.
    4. Leave to cool slightly, then tip into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
    5. Season with S & P to taste.

Optional toppings: a swirl of double cream or some grated cheese. Serve with crusty bread. Enjoy! :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Morning all
    This weeks shopping all done. Will update sig
    Going to do another baking and cooking session on Monday afternoon as I'm Working a lot next week so it just makes it much easier as well as making sure I'm not resorting to just grabbing a convenience meal like veggie sausage or quorn dippers and chips or wedges out the freezer as I'm short of time
    Must also find the Christmas cake recipe I used a vegan fruit cake when I made dd3s wedding cake and everyone commented how good it was so I'm using that again.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • I'm at $880/1000 which is not ideal. Partly because Mr E and I miscommunicated and each bought a leg ham this week - at $30 each that kind of blew the budget. But we have a new 10kg sack of bread flour, lots of coffee beans and now an entire leg ham in the freezer so it's not all a disaster.

Spent some of today clearing out and reorganising the pantry. We somehow have 14 little individual tins of tuna. Madness. Didn't turn up any other treasures but it should make it easier to see what we do have, and stick to fresh shopping only for a week or two.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family