PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    caronc wrote: »
    I've been toying with getting a spiraliser - do you use it lots and is it electric or manual? :)

Hope you had a big chunk of crusty bread and real butter with that and lots of pickles:drool:

I'm having a griddled lamb chop with cabbage and the LO potatoes and toms from last night so easy dinner. This is me finally getting to the end of the savoy cabbage I bought at the beginning of January :eek:

Is there any other type of ploughmans? :D Chunk of cheese ,a slice of pork pie, apple, crusty roll and butter, HM pickled onions and chutney and a token amount of lettuce :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nelski wrote: »
    Is there any other type of ploughmans? :D Chunk of cheese ,a slice of pork pie, apple, crusty roll and butter, HM pickled onions and chutney and a token amount of lettuce :)
    Fab - I've come across some poor imitations in my time but that sounds just lovely :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    About 25 years ago in one job there was a daily visiting sandwich lady. She sold great ploughmans baguettes - and fish finger baguettes.

Oh how I wasted money without even seeing it as waste .... but I always liked my food :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2017 at 8:52PM
    Oat cream - as in "cream" substitute made by Oatly. Its made of oats, but basically I can't tell much difference between it and pouring cream. I got it from local health food shop originally - but I see T*sco has now started stocking it (near the dairy products).

Spiraliser - it's manual. I use it a fair bit I guess - planning on trying it more when I'm more sorted. Courgetti (ie spiralised courgettes) being an obvious one. I didnt think I'd like it and tried it out somewhat nervously in the first place - as a substitute for pasta. But - yep...with a tasty type sauce on top of it it's fine and must be saving on the calories.

I've done carrots noticeably often too.

Must try other things. Tonight was the first time I'd tried sweet potato with it for instance.

Ploughmans lunch - I've never come across one with pork pie with it. To me - if I ask for one then I expect to get a large chunk of cheese/large chunk of reasonable type bread/butter/ploughmans pickle/bit of salad of the lettuce and tomato type variety/pickled onion/perhaps an apple.
  • caronc

Spiraliser - it's manual. I use it a fair bit I guess - planning on trying it more when I'm more sorted. Courgetti (ie spiralised courgettes) being an obvious one. I didnt think I'd like it and tried it out somewhat nervously in the first place - as a substitute for pasta. But - yep...with a tasty type sauce on top of it it's fine and must be saving on the calories.

I've done carrots noticeably often too.

Must try other things. Tonight was the first time I'd tried sweet potato with it for instance.

Thank you :A
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 February 2017 at 9:00PM
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I get the same sort of pitying carp over the fact that I'm childfree. T)

At least people are saying 'child-free' now rather than 'childless' - less chance for pity.
    caronc wrote: »
    I've been toying with getting a spiraliser - do you use it lots and is it electric or manual?

I've got a manual one that spiralises veggies in an upright position so it's easier on the hands.... hard to explain but will trot off to find a picture.

I don't use it that much now - the novelty has worn off.

Edited to add a link:

Link
    :hello:
  • PasturesNew
    I'm the "worst of the worst" of despised humans.... a childless spinster hermit ... no cats though :)

Society can't see the point of me.... it's odd how spinsters have always been viewed oddly, hung as witches and avoided by those who had a man/husband "in case". Heck, if we were that great we could get one, we'd not want a 2nd hand one! We'd want one of our own!
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm the "worst of the worst" of despised humans.... a childless spinster hermit ... no cats though :)

:D:D:D

You need to get a cat in your old age so that.....

- no matter how tired and achy you get, a cat always manages to nag you into getting up as they need their food.
    - you can blame any smell of old-age-related wee on them
    - it'll be the cat scratching at the front door that finally alerts the neighbours that the hermit has snuffed it.

:rotfl:
    :hello:
  • caronc
    At least people are saying 'child-free' now rather than 'childless' - less chance for pity.

I've got a manual one that spiralises veggies in an upright position so it's easier on the hands.... hard to explain but will trot off to find a picture.

I don't use it that much now - the novelty has worn off.

Edited to add a link:

Link
    Thanks I think I'd prefer an upright one as well so will continue thinking about it don't want to clutter the cupboards if I wont use it that much :)
  • PasturesNew
    Tins of prunes and custard.... anybody else have those when young?

I remember we'd sometimes have that as a dessert, probably on the occasional Sunday.

About 15 years ago my parents' neighbour died and dad engaged in several conversations with the father of the deceased man... and several items were acquired at that time, including about 40 cans of s0ddin' prunes. There were still about 20+ cans I had to dispose of when I did the house clearance. Dad was a bit of a hoarder of the oddest things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure