Mortgage (for new buyer) after an IVA

Options
Doglover
Doglover Posts: 1,024 Forumite
I have posted this on the IVA board too - sorry for double posting but i wasn't sure which board would be most suited.

Hi, I wondered if anyone had much experience of life after an IVA? My husband has an IVA which is due to finish in 18 months time. He started the IVA before we married and I have good credit (inc a mortgage).

We have been saving as much as poss for to increase our deposit for when we're able to buy a house together.

I wondered if anyone knew how soon after completion of an IVA it would take for a mortgage company to show any realistic interest in lending to us. I was hoping that my credit history would help balance things with our application and I appreciate that in today's climate no one would touch us now but I'm all for a longer term plan.

In short, I am asking how soon you would expect it to take for us to be accepted for a mortgage together? We will have 25% deposit saved by the time the IVA actually finishes.

Any advice would be really appreciated, especially from those who have gone through it and come out the other end with a (realistically affordable) mortgage.

Thank you :rolleyes:

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know anything about IVAs, so ignore me if I have got the wrong end of the stick. Could you not use the savings to pay off the IVA quicker or are IVAs only for a fixed period? If the IVA is paid off wouldn't it then fall off your husband's credit report quicker?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Doglover
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    I don't know anything about IVAs, so ignore me if I have got the wrong end of the stick. Could you not use the savings to pay off the IVA quicker or are IVAs only for a fixed period? If the IVA is paid off wouldn't it then fall off your husband's credit report quicker?

Hi, thank you for your reply. We had thought of clearing the IVA sooner, however the IVA remains on your credit file for a total of 6 years. The IVA lasts for 5 years so it will show on the file for a further 1 year after completion. Likewise, completing it early would only help in so far as the monthly payments would stop but it wouldn't help the credit file.

That is how i understand it but please let me know if i've got that wrong.

It worked out better for us to keep saving (in my name only) and wait for the IVA to complete.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am going to bump this, cos it's really not my area. I thought all debts remained on file for six years after they were settled, so after an IVA finishes. But I could certainly be misunderstanding.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    I am going to bump this, cos it's really not my area. I thought all debts remained on file for six years after they were settled, so after an IVA finishes. But I could certainly be misunderstanding.

6 years from date of default, any defaults relation to debts within and IVA cannot be dated after the IVA started ( dreditors meeting )

This is something I am now in process of getting tidied up as all my defaults where after IVA started.
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • Doglover
    Options
    doelani wrote: »
    6 years from date of default, any defaults relation to debts within and IVA cannot be dated after the IVA started ( dreditors meeting )

This is something I am now in process of getting tidied up as all my defaults where after IVA started.

Hi thanks for your post. Firstly, a big well done for getting through the IVA. Presumably, you're doing the tidy up job of your credit file 6 years post iva. Would you say that it's not worth even looking at getting a mortgage until the tidy up has been completed and new credit built up?

As i said, we're looking at trying to secure a mortgage as soon as poss (depending on everything, inc the general economy), do you have any comments or suggestions about the earliest time we could expect someone to lend to us?
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doglover wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your post. Firstly, a big well done for getting through the IVA. Presumably, you're doing the tidy up job of your credit file 6 years post iva. Would you say that it's not worth even looking at getting a mortgage until the tidy up has been completed and new credit built up?

As i said, we're looking at trying to secure a mortgage as soon as poss (depending on everything, inc the general economy), do you have any comments or suggestions about the earliest time we could expect someone to lend to us?

Hi Doglover

We finished our IVA after 3 years by remortgaging, I will not even tell you the rate we had to pay for a fixed rate that luckily take use to 6 months after our 6 years is up.

Our 6 years from date of IVA starting is May 2011 so have 2 years to get it sorted but starting now that the full and finals payments have started to be taken off the balances, some creditors have already marked the accounts as satisfied some have not. All my default dates are wrong though so am going to get onto it soon.

Like I said we did remortgage to finish IVA early as due to change in circumstances we would have had to stop paying IVA after 3 years and £26k was paid, it was not easy we had a good mortgage guy but 2 days before completion the deal was pulled, it was awful but in the end got sorted but was just the time last year when a lot of lenders started to pull deals.

We hope by the time comes to remortgage our credit files will be clear as all the defaults will have dropped off and we will eb able to get a normal mortgage again.

good luck whatever you decide
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • Doglover
    Options
    doelani wrote: »
    Hi Doglover

We finished our IVA after 3 years by remortgaging, I will not even tell you the rate we had to pay for a fixed rate that luckily take use to 6 months after our 6 years is up.

Our 6 years from date of IVA starting is May 2011 so have 2 years to get it sorted but starting now that the full and finals payments have started to be taken off the balances, some creditors have already marked the accounts as satisfied some have not. All my default dates are wrong though so am going to get onto it soon.

Like I said we did remortgage to finish IVA early as due to change in circumstances we would have had to stop paying IVA after 3 years and £26k was paid, it was not easy we had a good mortgage guy but 2 days before completion the deal was pulled, it was awful but in the end got sorted but was just the time last year when a lot of lenders started to pull deals.

We hope by the time comes to remortgage our credit files will be clear as all the defaults will have dropped off and we will eb able to get a normal mortgage again.

good luck whatever you decide

From what you're saying (and indeed others), it seems as though it's not worth contemplating a joint mortgage with hubby until the 6 year anniversary of the IVA is reached. It sounds a fair bit of hassle clearing your file thereafter so may we should look at keeping things in my name only and fixing any mortgage in my name for a period that takes us to 7 years post IVA to allow time for clear up and rebuild. In reality, does that sound the most sensible option in your opinion?

I can borrow more in my sole name and we would be able to move with our savings and equity (god knows how much at the mo though!) in my flat. We were hoping to limit our move to once (make a jump from a 1 bed flat to a 3 bed house) so that we don't have to go through it all again! We are looking to start a family in the next couple of years and my hub has a child already so it will be necessary to get a three bed really as hub wants joint custody of his child. My borrowing ability will comfortably get us a 2 bed house but we were hoping to need a 3 bed house within a couple of years and borrowing for that on my own isn't preferrable.

However, if we clear the iva we'd have hub's extra income each month.

It's just so tricky to work out what will be the best idea and at what stage! I know this seems odd, but I don't want to leave things until the begining of the next housing bubble (which will come again I have no doubt) as i don't want to end up buying an over priced house even though I realise my flat would be sold at a relative price. I'm also conscious that interest rates are good at the mo.

I just want to be able to settle in our future family home but not at a risk of losing everything.

Decisions, decisions . . . :confused:
  • Shoppingcorkie
    Options
    HI Doelani

Can I ask who you got your mortgage with, we have been trying to remortage to complete an IVA but am finding it difficult to find a company, also do you mind saying what your interest rate is for your mortgage.

Thanks
  • polardesign
    Options
    Before thinking about a mortgage etc. He would do well to get a copy of his credit file and have good inspection and make sure it i correct.
    I am about to complete my IVA after 5 years. I have obtained a copy of my credit file and there are a number of Debts that were sold to Max recovery who then placed a default on my account 2 years after I started my IVA which is incorrect.
    I am in the process of contacting parties to get this tidied up.
    You default will drop of the report after 6 years of the default
  • talkalot
    talkalot Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    I did a full and final IVA in August 2007. It completed early last year. I tried no end of brokers to find me a new fixed rate mortgage. No high street bank would touch me even though we had plenty of equity in the house and my wife had a perfect credit history. Most lenders these days will not touch you unless your IVA has been completed at least 3 years or you will be looking at one of few adverse lenders left and their rates will be between 8-13%. In my case we tried as a last resort my wifes bank HSBC. They look at each case on its own merits and since all my defaults were all satisfied and we had plenty of equity they gave us a mortgage. So it might be worth trying them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure