Credit Rating: How it works and How to improve it discussion area

Options

Comments

• Ralphy101
    Ralphy101 Posts: 281 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought i'd share I have managed to get a Default removed from Orange.

I wrote to them asking them to remove it since i will be paying the defaulted balance this week.

They have written back giving me spiel about missed payments etc.. but last paragraph, state as a gesture of good will they will remove it when the balance has been paid.

:T
  • marcellep
    marcellep Posts: 1,695 Forumite
    Options
    Ralphy101 wrote: »
    Just thought i'd share I have managed to get a Default removed from Orange.

I wrote to them asking them to remove it since i will be paying the defaulted balance this week.

They have written back giving me spiel about missed payments etc.. but last paragraph, state as a gesture of good will they will remove it when the balance has been paid.

:T

That's fantastic,

Well Done

:)
    If I have been helpful - Hit the Thanks button
  • Tallymanjohn
    Tallymanjohn Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    Options
    Not too sure if I'm posting in the correct place but about a month ago I received a letter from the Electoral Commission advising a 'Mr V [My surname]' to register to vote. There's no such person & we've lived here for 15-odd years. I contacted them & was told the information was supplied by Experian. So, contacted them & they couldn't/wouldn't confirm anything about this new person so I had to write to them with my full details and household details etc. They also recommended I sign up for the free trial to check my own details, which I did. I don't have any on-going credit except for a mobile phone and the report didn't tell me anything new, so I cancelled the trial the same day.

Experian (they call themselves something else don't they?) then deducted the £6.99 anyway - evidently I'd signed up with them some 10 years ago (which I cannot recall either) so I'm not entitled to the free trial.

Firstly, I think it's grossly unfair that I have to pay for a credit check that was only prompted by their communication with the Electoral Commission in the first place and secondly they happily let me sign up without notifying me that I was exempt from the free trial.

So, my questions: Should I do anything more about this 'V' person? Do I need to contact other credit agencies to check their details? Should I have been eigible for the free credit check because it was a possible identity (or at least 'address') theft?

I don't intend to ever need any credit but I obviously don't want my address used for any sort of fraudulent stuff.

Any advice gladly accepted.
  • Loblolly
    Options
    So here's the thing.
    A year ago, my wife changed from O2 to Orange. O2 sent her a finall bill for £11 which she forgot to pay. O2 didn't send her any more bills, reminders, nothing. That was until a year later (last month), she got a letter from a debt collection agency demanding the money. Immediatly realising that she had forgotten to pay that bill a year previously, she immediately sent them a cheque and thought no more of it.

Until, we went to the bank today to talk to them about extending our mortgage to pay for home improvements. Result - we were turned down because of an adverse credit socre. The bank were v.supportive, did some digging and discovered that a single default in the amount of £11 had been placed on my wife's record.

My wife fully admits that the fault was entirely hers for not paying the original bill, its just that the "punishment" (both our credit records otherwise entirely clean) seems grossly out of proportion to the "crime" committed and we think that O2 must bear at least some of the blame for failing to chase up the bill. Obviously we will be making some phone calls and writing letters to attempt to get this default removed, but wondered whether anyone had any views on how succesful they believe we might be and any advice on particular strategies that others have found succeseful. :mad:
    Many thanks
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Loblolly wrote: »
    So here's the thing.
    A year ago, my wife changed from O2 to Orange. O2 sent her a finall bill for £11 which she forgot to pay. O2 didn't send her any more bills, reminders, nothing. That was until a year later (last month), she got a letter from a debt collection agency demanding the money. Immediatly realising that she had forgotten to pay that bill a year previously, she immediately sent them a cheque and thought no more of it.

Until, we went to the bank today to talk to them about extending our mortgage to pay for home improvements. Result - we were turned down because of an adverse credit socre. The bank were v.supportive, did some digging and discovered that a single default in the amount of £11 had been placed on my wife's record.

My wife fully admits that the fault was entirely hers for not paying the original bill, its just that the "punishment" (both our credit records otherwise entirely clean) seems grossly out of proportion to the "crime" committed and we think that O2 must bear at least some of the blame for failing to chase up the bill. Obviously we will be making some phone calls and writing letters to attempt to get this default removed, but wondered whether anyone had any views on how succesful they believe we might be and any advice on particular strategies that others have found succeseful. :mad:
    Many thanks

Write to them offering £11 in exchange for full removal of the default. State that the funds will be paid the day a letter arrives from them saying they will fully remove the default when paid :o
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2010 at 6:20PM
    Options
    Yes, this template here but amend to suit and remove all trace (if any) of s.78 or CCA as it is not relevant to utilities.... Default Removal - Offer of F&F Settlement

So in this case, where the letter states "
    The alternative is for me to place the account formally into dispute and demand s.10 CCA (1974) is brought into play"

- amend it to read

"
    The alternative is for me to place the account formally into dispute and request you formally cease processing my data in line with current DPA legislation."

Amend the 50% to the amount you offer.

:o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • imported_Ducklet
    Options
    What does % of your total credit used mean? (400%)This was shown on credit expert when i checked it!
  • raidensurfer
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Hello,

I wonder is someone can shed some light on my current situation, I have recently applied for a new credit card from MBNA and unfortunately on this occasion they have denied it due to the following statement

"it is felt that because all of your credit references are relatively new, there is insufficient credit history on which to
    base an approved decision"

So here is my background, the only credit card I currently have is from Natwest (7 months) and I am normally on time with payments, I have paid late twice because it neve reached the account in time and once I completely forgot. it was in the day after the late payment fee so I may have defaulted but it was only by 1 single day.

I have an outstanding balance on the NatWest card of £740 which I could pay off in its entirety if I so wished, I am lucky I am in the situation where I can do so but at the moment I have a big holiday coming up and thought I would wait until I returned so I don’t mind paying the couple of months of the high interest.

I have no overdrafts, on mobile phone contracts and no other debts. I am still registered to my parents address as I have move to allot of Jobs to progress with my career, I would be more than capable of reaching the payment demands of this card but at the moment they won’t accept me...

anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated..

Regards,

Chris
    [/FONT]
  • sscott5581
    sscott5581 Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MBNA have told you the reason for your decline - you have only had your card for 7 months, perhaps wait until you have run this card well for at least one year and try again, the fact you have two late payments registered within this period will not help your case.

Lenders also like stability, the fact you move jobs will again have impacted your credit score.

I think you should continue with your Natwest card and build a good history with them before looking to apply for other forms of credit but why pay interest on a card when you can pay it off, sounds silly to me.

Regards
    Steven
  • raidensurfer
    Options
    Hello again,
    Thanks for your reply and you have highlighted a few points I would like to reply too. MBNA did outline the reason for rejection but I wanted to clarify it in a little more detail. I appreciate your advice about using the card for a year, this is my first credit card after all but this was my choice to hold it off until now. The reason I started using one if I have made a lot of online flight purchases and I know I am fully protected when I buy online.

Yes you are right, I did have a couple of late payments which I am little annoyed about but hey, it has happened now and I have to face to consequences. Anyway, the reason I said I could pay the debt off is because I have the money in the bank but I have a large holiday coming up next month so I of course want to take as much as possible with me so I am happy to take the hit on the interest for when I return, rather than have less money away on the trip and paying it on my return. So that’s why it is not so silly to me to do this because it works in my favour at this time.
    I have not had a load of jobs, I was recruited by a new company so I have moved twice in the last 2 ½ years. That should not affect my credit rating if I am still registered at my parents house, should it?

I wanted this specific card as I do a lot of travelling and it makes sense to use one that works in my favour. I appreciate your feedback and I did not mean to appear arrogant if I came across in that way.

Regards

Chris
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport