The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,709 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Welcome back Greying! :hello: Lovely to see you again lass :)

I do sympathise with the 'joining in' thing, and I'm glad I've not had to navigate it myself as on occasion I am rather capable of ignoring peer pressure and poor Baby Cheery (should they exist, which they categorically do not) would undoubtedly miss out on all kinds and feel most badly done to :eek: :rotfl: :D

I am sure that you will make the best decision on each occasion Greying - in fact I am positively certain of it, because the 'best decision' is the one that you make with the information that you have at the time :j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Just so glad that I am past it all now TBH.
    Shudders.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Ooh thanks MWC! I do like Huge Furry Wotsit I must admit - think the new one is the only of his books I don't have currently!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    You know a friends daughter is doing a world challange thing next year.
    She is 14 & its costs 4 & a half thousand. I personally find the obsene.
    I personally find it morally reprensible(Sp) that schools think this is ok.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Found it! Red cabbage & cashew biryani from HFW's fab new book :)
    Recipe here.

MWCx
    Lovely recipes MWC, thanks :j.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Ha ha - don't get me started on designer trainers - a young family member got given all those things....... Funnily enough, they have turned out reasonably responsible and quite a nice young adult; hard-working to pay for their 'wants' now that they are older. But I shudder to contemplate the 'investment' in footwear over the years......

My DD is 14 and her 'thing' is designer trainers.
    I usually buy from M&M who sell designer trainers cheap so you can get 2 pairs of trainers for the cost of 1 on the high street.

I will buy trainers if she needs them so if she has gone up a size or her others have worn out but if they are a pure want then she has to fund them herself.

After Xmas she decided that she wanted some trainers which cost £100:eek: but she didn't have £100 cash although she had Amazon vouchers so she asked to do a deal with me and she gave me the vouchers in exchange for cash. I didn't mind as we buy quite a bit from Amazon and I was pleased she had thought about how she could afford them and she also said she should have asked for cash for Xmas which she will do this year.

Those trainers were purchased and I have to admit are gorgeous and she wears them a lot so definite value for money.

A few weeks later she wanted another pair in a similar style, luckily these were slightly cheaper and she used her birthday money. Again these are worn when the others aren't.

This year she has asked for trainers as her 'big' present, my children have birthdays close to Xmas and they get 1 expensive present for their birthday but DD has decided she wants a few pairs of expensive trainers so that is what she will get (obviously I will shop around and get them for the best price)

I am hoping she will grow up in to a well rounded individual and will know the value of money and not get into debt for her wants.

I was not like this as a teenager but my husband was so she must have his traits of liking designer things.

I am in agreement with EH about sometimes giving in to wants in order to fit in, my DS is not bothered about clothes or what people think of him but my DD is - I do think it is harder being a teenage girl then being a teenage boy as girls can be just plain horrible and nasty (hence my daughter has recently moved schools)

Had a quick look at the Afghan Carrot recipe and it looks lovely so will have to try that.
  • Good Morning :hello:

Visitors! How luverly :D

Thanks again to mwc for being so kind and thoughtful.

:wave: to gally - lovely to *see* you :D

Cheery
    - thank you. I think I am going to have to change my thoughts and outlook 'alot' to fit in and not let BG down.... Although I am often heartened by stories on here of how young people 'swim against the tide' of consumerism, fashion or whimsy, so maybe compromises will be fewer than I anticipate.

beanie - does your friend's daughter have to raise that as cold hard cash? Or do they have to get that level of money through 'sponsorship'? I know the coffee morning DH and I happened upon earlier in the year was raising funds for school children to go to..... Morrocco? on a school trip - I suspect they needed considerably less, but even so.... i only ever went as far as Northumbria with school....

Eager - if the young person I mentioned is anything to go by, then yes, there certainly is a strong possibility your daughter will do OK with money. I like that your daughter is working out how she may achieve her goals. OK, so 'today' it is trainers, but in the future it could easily be education/training, a car or home. Our young person just got given the trainers at a drop of a hat - and of course, they got scuffed/worn just like any other footwear. At the time, each pair of trainers equated to our monthly food budget....... If BG has a 'thing' later on in life - you know, trainers or hoodies, or latest phones or gadgets, I am just going to have to think back to now and the time of sitting on a sofa with a blankie and a secondhand book, or sitting on the floor, making all sorts of adventures (and noise!) with a wooden spoon, a baking powder tube and an oatcakes box :rotfl::T

Tea last night ended up being Maria Elia's Thai style root vegetable casserole with basmati rice. Which I am afraid there is no link for, as it doesn't appear anywhere, which is a great shame, as it uses up a variety of root veg (use what you have) and has great taste for a relatively simple recipe. I used up one of my gifted parsnips, a sweet potato, a lump of the remaining cheap HG BNS I bought and a carrot. I also used up an elderly lime that had been languishing in the fruit bowl for too long :T The recipe is from Maria's book, 'The Modern Vegetarian' if you happen across it at a jumble sale or at the back of the shelf in your local library...... I think Maria a super cook. Really like her recipes and food ideas :D

Tea this evening should be pizza and wedges, all being well :D

I think I shall try to get a long walk in again today. Provisions wise, we're pretty ok I think, so I shall try to avoid the high street and go in a different direction.

Right, coffee almost finished, but best vamoose as DH will need to get going. Frosty start to the day here (weather, not relationship, wise :rotfl:).

Ta for popping in and joining in the conversation. Greatly appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Tea last night ended up being Maria Elia's Thai style root vegetable casserole with basmati rice. Which I am afraid there is no link for, as it doesn't appear anywhere, which is a great shame, as it uses up a variety of root veg (use what you have) and has great taste for a relatively simple recipe. I used up one of my gifted parsnips, a sweet potato, a lump of the remaining cheap HG BNS I bought and a carrot. I also used up an elderly lime that had been languishing in the fruit bowl for too long :T The recipe is from Maria's book, 'The Modern Vegetarian' if you happen across it at a jumble sale or at the back of the shelf in your local library...... I think Maria a super cook. Really like her recipes and food ideas :D

:wave:

Thanks for the reminder Greying :)
    We've got the book but it's a bit dusty through lack of use recently ... too many tasty recipes to try, too few mealtimes for Mr MWC to cook them :rotfl:

MWCx
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • Good Afternoon :hello:

Well, we pootled up the high street first thing to get a few bits and bobs. I was surprised how quiet it was. I took the opportunity to look out for a couple of things/went into shops that are usually heaving and found 1 thing that I've been looking for, for £1 :j and also got some inspiration if I do need to get a secret santa gift. I'm still not sold on the premise of it as a concept of 'gift giving between strangers' (totally get it as a concept for family/close friends), but I know I may have to 'get over myself' and not think of landfill/why people go into debt over Cmas/disappointed children who've got 'one of those' already etc etc etc Grit my teeth into a smile and hand the blessed thing over already :rotfl:[Greying very much sending self up there........;)]

BG is currently having a nappette. They appear to be a little off colour - it's snuffles I think. Nothing serious, and par for the course. I bumped into someone I attended ante-natal classes with, recently, and they said that their little one had picked up a dollop of 'ooh-nasties' from a playcentre, and they were having to mop up the aftermath.... Just how much snot can human beings manufacture? Even little ones??? :D

It's curry for tea tonight. I'm determined to finish off the BNS - by making it into a tasy curry. I was thinking korma earlier in the week, but we've already had coconut this week with the Maria Elia dish, so, I'll have a rethink. Tea last night was black olive pizza with dirty tattie wedges.

I'll construct my meal plan for next week. Frugality is going to be the order of the day, with utilising stores and leftovers as supplementary riders. I really want to get to the end of the month with the money I have left in the budget, even though I've been unfair to myself and bought 'extras' this month. We've plenty, plenty, plenty. And I've a brain-cell, so I'm gonna make that and my pennies squeak! :D

Right, best make hay whilst BG is safe and napping.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated. Greatly.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • If you're still looking for a BNS curry recipe, I can recommend this Anjum Anand recipe :)

MWCx
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business