Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pootleflump
    • By pootleflump 14th Nov 17, 10:22 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 4Thanks
    pootleflump
    Paid for 2 lots of car insurance last year!!!
    • 14th Nov 17, 10:22 PM
    Paid for 2 lots of car insurance last year!!! 14th Nov 17 at 10:22 PM
    What an idiot!

My husband had a renewal by email from esure in Nov last year. I mustn't have been happy with it and shopped for another insurer, signing up with GoSkippy.

I must've assumed that by signing up with another insurer that esure would be cancelled, but must've been on auto-renew.

So, two lots of almost £400 paid last year. Will I have any chance at all of recouping any of the money?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    • 26,015 Posts
    • 10,373 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 14th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    • 14th Nov 17, 10:27 PM
    Possibly if you can prove you were insured elsewhere.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • pootleflump
    • By pootleflump 14th Nov 17, 10:32 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pootleflump
    • 14th Nov 17, 10:32 PM
    I can prove it - I have the schedule and bank statement showing payment, but they were both started on the same day, so I was unsure which one to ask to reimburse me. I think it should be esure, since it was their auto-renew which meant I paid twice.
    • Blibble
    • By Blibble 14th Nov 17, 10:32 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Blibble
    If you can provide evidence from GoSkippy to Esure that the cover was duplicated, you may have some success depending on Esure's stance on the matter. Some insurers will refund the premium outright in this case.
    • OnanTheBarbarian
    • By OnanTheBarbarian 15th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    OnanTheBarbarian
    • 15th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    • 15th Nov 17, 1:28 PM
    Doubt you will see a refund as the policy auto renewed when you could have contacted to prevent this. Also the insurer has been on risk for the time that has elapsed and would have been obligated to deal with any successful third party claims arising in the period the vehicle has been on cover with them.
    • rebel
    • By rebel 15th Nov 17, 8:00 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    rebel
    • 15th Nov 17, 8:00 PM
    • 15th Nov 17, 8:00 PM
    Check the Terms & Conditions, I'm sure I read that it's not possible to have two active insurance policies on the same car.

That being the case, one should refund. You could consider contacting the FOS, they do offer advice.
    • pootleflump
    • By pootleflump 15th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pootleflump
    • 15th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    • 15th Nov 17, 8:17 PM
    That's a good idea, thank you.
    • alchemist.1
    • By alchemist.1 15th Nov 17, 8:47 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    alchemist.1
    • 15th Nov 17, 8:47 PM
    • 15th Nov 17, 8:47 PM
    Check the Terms & Conditions, I'm sure I read that it's not possible to have two active insurance policies on the same car.

That being the case, one should refund. You could consider contacting the FOS, they do offer advice.
    Originally posted by rebel
    That isn't correct.
    One of the insurers might refund the costs the policy a goodwill gesture but wouldn't be required to do so.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,135Posts Today

6,664Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin