recorded delivery to a PO box

I have a buyer who has requested recorded delivery as her post is dodgy. However, she has a PO Box address and I am sure i read somewhere that recorded cannot be used for a PO Box but I can't find this on the Royal Mail website, can anyone confirm this?

Incidentally, remember when listing items that recorded delivery is now 66p per item.

Soo
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• Lazy_Ike
    Lazy_Ike Posts: 185 Forumite
    soolin wrote:
    Ii read somewhere that recorded cannot be used for a PO Box but I can't find this on the Royal Mail website, can anyone confirm this?

Soo
    My 'book of words' from the Post office says:
    "Take it to a Post Office branch and we'll give you proof of posting and make sure it is signed for on delivery by the recipient (not necessarily the addressee)."
    There is nothing that specifically says will not deliver to a PO Box, but I read the above to mean a signature at point of delivery. So I imagine a PO Box is out. In any case a signature from some one at the delivery end sorting into boxes would hardly be satisfactory proof of delivery for either you or the customer.
    Hope this helps.
    [FONT=&quot]si talia jungere possis sit tibi scire satis [/FONT]
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Soo..... I thought the same too, however, try a search on google and there are plenty of companies advising as below.........

The return address is:
    Banchory Cancellations Department
    PO Box 25074
    Glasgow G3 8TT
    Scotland
    For your protection, we recommend that you use a recorded-delivery service.

Prices in (£ Sterling) delivered FREE in the UK. Minimum total order is £10.00 please. Delivery to PO BOX or FLATS only by recorded delivery.

We accept cash payments in the form of cheques (please allow up to 3 days to clear, unless below £25 in which case goods are shipped immediately) - postal orders ( We recommend that you send them by recorded delivery) Made Payable to: KSGK SOLUTIONS.
    KSGK SOLUTIONS
    PO BOX 12358
    BIRMINGHAM
    B2 2BD
    UNITED KINGDOM

Edit.... Come to think of it, I've returned goods to PO Box Numbers before and sent it recorded. :)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi Soo,

Think I would be asking (in writing) for an alternative address eg friend, family work etc if possible. More for their protection. Think I would wait until I got a chance to go into PO and ask (mind you i doubt mine would know).
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hintza wrote:
    Hi Soo,

Think I would be asking (in writing) for an alternative address eg friend, family work etc if possible. More for their protection. Think I would wait until I got a chance to go into PO and ask (mind you i doubt mine would know).

Hintza, you think the same as me! I rather thought I would get better responses on here than I would from the Post Office, I trust you lot on here.

Thinking about what Tojo said, I realise I have also sent a company claim form recorded delivery to a PO box and that wasn't refused at the PO. I think I will ask at the post office but if they are happy to accept it and stamp my receipt should have a case if it does later go astray. It isn't horribly expensive anyway, just short of £10.

Thank for all the responses, I'll let you know what the Post Office says.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • biblejohn
    biblejohn Posts: 553 Forumite
    Ive send stuff special delivery to po box`s in the past without any problems, indeed the buyer requested that i used special delivery.
  • Rockee
    Rockee Posts: 217 Forumite
    I have had a PO Box number for my business, as I work from home and I was told by various organisations including the Post Office, that you can not send recorded to a PO Box number (I have now stopped using the PO Box number because of this and the fact Royal Mail kept forgetting to deliver my mail!!!!)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well, turns out my post office was happy to send the Recorded delivery item to a PO Box and I have the stamped receipt to prove it.

I just need for it to be delivered now......(fingers crossed)

Soo
  • slinks
    slinks Posts: 698 Forumite
    i just sent a letter to student loans today by recorded delivery - and they're a p.o. box number. the post office said lots of people do!
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Probably the postman just signs for it like they do have the time with recorded deliverys anyway ! :rolleyes:
  • katiepops_2
    katiepops_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    If you send recorded delivery to a PO Box, it's signed for by the person who rents the PO Box when they collect their mail ... I've got a business PO Box address and I've had recorded delivery stuff sent there without any problems many times.

Kate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport