Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Comments

• Lau0707
    Lau0707 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Keep going! These are fab!! Well done x
  • Made an over payment of £56.69 to the MBNA balance today (eBay profits) - taking the balance down to £1865.14

I remembered that I have an old savings account with Virgin Money (just under £25, nothing too exciting). The account is in my maiden name and annoyingly, I need to do all the paperwork to change the name on the account - they won't let me just close it. Oh well, a small amount of inconvenience is worth it for £25 :)
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Sounds like you're doing well on the old eBay front - what are you selling, if you don't mind me asking? What's going well? I need to get into my cupboards and clear!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    How annoying about the faff with names!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Hi I have a question about giving up audible, as I too have an audible a/c.
    Do you still have access to the books you have purchased after you cancel?
    Its £8 a month I could live without. Also, I would love to hear more about budgeting for gifts etc.
    I am a terrible over spender.....
    MBNA (Was £2000), Now £2, 900 (Expected date Dec/2020)
    CAR (Was £300) Now
    £2, 000 (Interest free loan from family member)

**Want to be on my way to being debt free for 42**
  • Have you closed it yet? Could you maybe use that account as your emergency fund and add to it, rather than cancelling it?
    MBNA (Was £2000), Now £2, 900 (Expected date Dec/2020)
    CAR (Was £300) Now
    £2, 000 (Interest free loan from family member)

**Want to be on my way to being debt free for 42**
  • Bobarella wrote: »
    How annoying about the faff with names!
    I know, they are the most pedantic about paperwork too. This is the last thing though (only taken me 2 years to get round to changing everything!)
    Have you closed it yet? Could you maybe use that account as your emergency fund and add to it, rather than cancelling it?
    I've already got an emergency fund started in a new current account with my main bank, but it is a good idea to have it with a different bank. I might switch that one and see if I can get any bonus money :)
  • JoJoC wrote: »
    Sounds like you're doing well on the old eBay front - what are you selling, if you don't mind me asking? What's going well? I need to get into my cupboards and clear!

Ebay has been a bit of a revelation, I didn't realise that there was such a market for second hand clothes on ebay. I've been selling Phase Eight and Boden dresses that no longer fit, plus a few jackets, shoes and handbags. I also managed to sell a couple of bottles of perfume that have just been sitting on my dressing table for the past two years, they took a bit longer to sell because I had to do local pick up on them (post office restrictions). Get into those cupboards, you won't regret it! :)
  • Hi I have a question about giving up audible, as I too have an audible a/c.
    Do you still have access to the books you have purchased after you cancel?
    Its £8 a month I could live without. Also, I would love to hear more about budgeting for gifts etc.
    I am a terrible over spender.....

You still get access to the books you purchased before cancellation, I thought I'd miss Audible the most but I've got really into podcasts so haven't had a chance.

I've been really strict with myself about gift budgets and set a limit of £25 per person for close family and £15 for cousin's kids etc. I do feel a bit guilty about this because I'm a big over spender and I love buying gifts but I have to keep telling myself that being overly generous is putting me in more debt. And I've had four birthdays to buy for in the last couple of months and no-one has been upset with the less expensive gifts.
    I think the biggest test for me will be Christmas but hopefully I'll pick up lots of tips on these forums to see me through! :)
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    I know, they are the most pedantic about paperwork too. This is the last thing though (only taken me 2 years to get round to changing everything!)

I've already got an emergency fund started in a new current account with my main bank, but it is a good idea to have it with a different bank. I might switch that one and see if I can get any bonus money :)

2 years is not that bad :)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure