PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• Doesn't stop them being friends of the "agent". Have you let this property through this agent before to different people, though? I may have missed that.

Yes, one first tenancy which appeared to have no issues apart from tenant breaking the bed and then short term let while it was otherwise vacant for a time while I had some repair work done. During the vacant periods my neighbour did complain of seeing strange people at the property (even sending me photographs of them) but I dismissed this as busybodying, as there would have been workmen there occasionally when they could be bothered to turn up.
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    Legally your tenant can tell you no inspections.

What????

I am living in a parallel universe!!
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This is not possible, I have seen photos of the tenants, they are not very clear because they were taken through a window from some distance but the man was definitely not the agent.

This is spying. Your neighbour really needs to stop doing this, she is invading your tenants' privacy.

Additionally, I really don't think you should be worrying about how "reputable" your tenants are. They paid their money. The agent is the one that has done you over.

FYI if you do try and dispute anything in the deposit, your tenants will probably then get clued up about their rights, and realise that without it being protected they're entitled to much more. Tread carefully.
  • I realise that I have received sound advice about talking to an accountant/lawyer and am not ignoring it, but the problem is money, if I have been embezzled and owe thousands in taxes then I have less than nothing, at least that is available immediately. I cannot see what else I can do at this point, other than go to the police. As of next week I will know for certain whether my agent is still operating because that is when the rent payment is due to appear. If it does then that will be some small comfort that this may just be a big misunderstanding and perhaps they have gone on holiday without arranging cover.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    What????

I am living in a parallel universe!!
    Why are you surprised. it's their home now. not yours!
  • Guest101
    SuboJvR wrote: »
    This is spying. Your neighbour really needs to stop doing this, she is invading your tenants' privacy.

Additionally, I really don't think you should be worrying about how "reputable" your tenants are. They paid their money. The agent is the one that has done you over.

FYI if you do try and dispute anything in the deposit, your tenants will probably then get clued up about their rights, and realise that without it being protected they're entitled to much more. Tread carefully.
    It's fine the OP will just face a harassment charge soon
  • SuboJvR wrote: »

Believe me, I have not asked my neighbour to behave in this way. She used to be employed by the family and has lived here for a very long time, she seems to feel that she has a duty to protect the place but does not go about it in a very sensible way. I do feel that she may have fabricated being 'lunged at' by the tenant's dog as she feels her own animals are threatened in some way due to its size and appearance.
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    Why are you surprised. it's their home now. not yours!

You said that I could give 24 hours, then inspect! How is that at all unreasonable as a request?
  • Guest101
    You said that I could give 24 hours, then inspect! How is that at all unreasonable as a request?
    Indeed (though I don't believe I said that), you can give 24 hours notice to inspect, but if the tenant says no, you cant really do anything else.

You cant force entry and if you go in when they're no there you risk being accused of harassment and theft, and further they will probably change the locks.

Your tenant can refuse inspections. Given your behaviour, and that of your agent and neighbour, it would be most reasonable to do so.
  • because our police force have better things to do than chase down a dodgy agent that you should have seen the warning signs for. they're already stretched just dealing with dangerous crime and the terrorism threats

You could have fooled me, just last month I caught a gang of youths in the act of trying to steal my car and the police were not interested at all. Meanwhile in the park across the road, the same youths openly pass suspicious packages back and forward between themselves whilst hiding under their hoodies, and smoke 'wacky baccy' in front of school children who are playing on the swings, and no-one lifts a finger!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure