Best van mpg?

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Those courses are well worth it. I was lucky enough to get put through one with an employer. Not only do you improve economy but a lot of the time, it's possible to improve your journey time as well as reduce wear on the brakes, gears and clutch by reducing the number of changes and the mount of times you stop.

You'd recoup the £50 in quite a short amount of time and in addition, some insurers offer a discount.
  • Just a note on van mpg-a lot depends on the type of driving you do too...i do a lot of motorway miles and a ford connect 84ps avereaged 31/32mpg but I now have a Vw transporter 104ps which gets about 37 mpg on average-no more load no more speed but the engine just isnt working as hard-am gonna try and talk my accountant into a 170ps sportline next?? well its worth a try!!
  • businesslink.gov.uk/vanfueldata

can't post link as a new user!

:rotfl:
  • v9gss
    v9gss Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 15 November 2009 at 11:28PM
    rcereda wrote: »
    businesslink.gov.uk/vanfueldata

can't post link as a new user!

:rotfl:

I can't see their data being too correct. had both 1.7 astravan and transit connect. Astravan would get 48+mpg ish if you drove normally, Connect struggles to get 35 not matter how sensibly driven. Website says both 38.1!!!
  • Just read all this thread and very upset to find that it is so difficult to make comparrisons before buying... in this country! USA seems to have a useful comparison site: fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

But to make matters more difficult, I (who shan't be affording a new van at this early stage in career... which means fuel economy is perhaps quite important!) would like to know which old van to buy?

I'm particularly interested in the old-style Toyota HiAce and LightAce, especially the Jap imports. Or the Mazda E200 etc.

I too currently run a Fiesta van derived car and get around 40mpg regardless! And it's an old bangertoo. :D

Any personal experiences much appreciated.
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    go for a vw everytime, ive got an old 1998 vw lt35 medium wheelbase van which has 217000 miles on and still going and i get about 25/28 mpg and on a long run this can go up to around 35mpg. strangely i get better mpg on a long run when its fully laden, maybe its because i cant boot it too much
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    Suprised no one's mentioned the nemo's 60mpg... though of course it's transit connect sized...
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • skiddlydiddly
    skiddlydiddly Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    ozvaldinho wrote: »
    It might be worth seeing if you can get a subsidised place on a SAFED course. Safe And Fuel Efficient Driving was a MOD scheme to cut emissions and accidents, it was free last year, but even at £50 was well worth it.

Agreed-its mostly down to the driving style(in my experience of transit style vans at least).I am SAFED trained and have seen efficiency figures rise from as ltittle as 17mpg to over 40 mpg from the same driver on the same route in the same van with little change in journey time.
    It also has the benefit of less wear and tear on the vehicle as you can reduce gearchanging massively.A days training will pay for itself many times over for fleet owners.
  • benham3160
    benham3160 Posts: 735 Forumite
    Reguarly use an ancient (I mean ancient) 120 Transit with the 2.5DI engine (non-turbo) it takes nearly a minute to crack 60mph but returns low 40's on a run.

Regards,
    Andy
  • owls
    owls Posts: 217 Forumite
    wont go far wrong with a transit.
    i bought a new one last year,stardard box style but a top spec one with cruise control etc 110ps 280 carry weight and get around 40mpg,ive owned a 75ps before that and was as flat as fart,but they are cheaper to buy new start at around 12 grand the one i got cost 15
    ive had vitos, vw transporter and even a vauxhall,but ive found fords to be the best value and the new fords are an excellent ride and retain a good value after 3 year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure