Is the cash withdraw limit e.g. £300.00 really the limit?

Comments

• For Halifax, it's £300 from the ATM and then £1200 over the counter, in that order. Any amount over £1200 needs to be pre-ordered, giving two working days' notice.
  • fablad75,
    I assume that you are referring to monies in a single account. Halifax customers might well have ATM cards from 2 or 3 accounts.

Further to Afahmaep's post, are ATMs normally filled at the start of the business day or the end of it? And how often do they actually run out of money before the next refilling?
    Imprudent granting of credit is bound to prove just as ruinous to a bank as to any other merchant.
    (Ludwig von Mises)

• I wondered if you withdrew a few thousand pounds in cash at the bank and then paid it in cash into a new account in a new bank, wouldn't the staff think it was suspicious even though it's your own money?
  • I wondered if you withdrew a few thousand pounds in cash at the bank and then paid it in cash into a new account in a new bank, wouldn't the staff think it was suspicious even though it's your own money?
    No. We've paid in over £3000 cash (all £50 notes) when we sold a car. The bank staff didn't say anything about it - they were just very careful whilst counting it.
  • p1an0player
    p1an0player Posts: 1,196 Forumite
    I wondered if you withdrew a few thousand pounds in cash at the bank and then paid it in cash into a new account in a new bank, wouldn't the staff think it was suspicious even though it's your own money?
    Under money laundering rules they are obliged to report any suspicious transactions without telling you about it.

A transaction of a few thousand might not be so unusual as to arouse suspicion though. I think at the counter they might casually ask you where the money came from and if they are satisfied with your answer they will not report it.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think at the counter they might casually ask you where the money came from

I know what answer they would get from me ! casually,of course !

I actually paid in £10,000 in cash to the Nationwide recently - only comment, "would you like the envelope back sir?"!
  • emma396 wrote: »
    Before xmas, i withdrew 4k from abbey, i called them up in the morning to give them notice. I used to work for Lloyds, I'd let people take out as much money as they had in the account as long as there was money in the bank and they had ID with them.
    Emma, you are a bloody idiot. as an employee of a financial institution you have a basic duty of care to safeguard your customers financial interests. how would you feel if your elderly parent was conned out of thousands by an unscrupulous person who convinced your mum or dad that money was owed to them, and some dippy bank teller gave your parent thousands on the basis of out of character cheques presented over the counter for cash hang your head in shame
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Emma, you are a bloody idiot. as an employee of a financial institution you have a basic duty of care to safeguard your customers financial interests. how would you feel if your elderly parent was conned out of thousands by an unscrupulous person who convinced your mum or dad that money was owed to them, and some dippy bank teller gave your parent thousands on the basis of out of character cheques presented over the counter for cash hang your head in shame

Am I right in thinking tellers don't actually make up the rules....they only do as they are instructed? Nice that your first post here is an insulting one btw. Most of us here like to try to put our points over without resorting to name calling. At least at first. ;)

Cahoot was always £500 atm limit which was great when their accounts had reasonable rates, but they're so low now that I never keep any money in there anymore.

I was told the type of limit that may be applied on over the counter withdrawals depends on size of branch. I have experienced widely different policies in Halifax in particular and this was a reason given.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    I know what answer they would get from me ! casually,of course !

And they would then probably report it as a suspicious transaction. ('Customer evasive about source'). Which could get you on someone's watch list.
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    With many banks you need to do the ATM withdrawal first. At Nationwide, for example, you can get £300 from the machine and then £500 from the counter. But if you withdraw £500 from the counter first you cannot get anymore money from the ATM for that day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure