Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Let down
    • By Let down 19th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Let down
    Partners debt
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    Partners debt 19th Jun 17 at 2:40 PM
    Received a letter in the mail with my partner and his estranged wife's name on saying the were being taken to court (in Scotland) for no longer paying council tax arrears. Obviously his wife does not live at my address. Mortgage council tax and all bills are in my name and I have no debts of my own. Does anyone know if I am liable. Desperate for advice
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 19th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 13,185 Posts
    • 13,495 Thanks
    zx81
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    No. .
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 15,147 Posts
    • 14,752 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:55 PM
    Received mail addressed to my partner and his estranged wife at my address saying they were being taken to court(in Scotland) for failing to pay council tax arrears. His wife has obviously never lived at my address. The mortgage and all bills are solely in my name and I have no debts. Does anyone know if I am liable for theirs?
    Originally posted by Let down
    Also surely you shouldn't be opening his post?
    • Let down
    • By Let down 19th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Let down
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    I didn't he did and showed me it and now I'm stressed beyond belief
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 19th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 11,935 Posts
    • 11,419 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    Hi,

Stop been stressed, You cant be held liable for another persons debts.

What on earth makes you think you can ?
    Last edited by sourcrates; 19-06-2017 at 3:14 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 19th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    anna_1977
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    however he does need to sort it - especially if you think you might want joint accounts etc down the line
    • Let down
    • By Let down 19th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Let down
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    Just thought that as he is my partner that somehow I may be jointly liable since we live together
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 19th Jun 17, 3:47 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:47 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:47 PM
    Just thought that as he is my partner that somehow I may be jointly liable since we live together

You're only jointly liable if you're named on any bills, as your partner was with their ex on the council tax.

Otherwise no, you're not liable for someone elses debts.

Still, your partner is jointly and severely liable and needs to get this sorted ASAP. Tell them to speak to the CAB for advice if they're unable to clear this, or has a dispute relating to this as it's a priority debt.
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 19th Jun 17, 3:49 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    anna_1977
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:49 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:49 PM
    or if you have any financial links such as bank accounts
    • Let down
    • By Let down 19th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Let down
    Will contact CAB tomorrow
    • Let down
    • By Let down 19th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Let down
    No joint accounts
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 19th Jun 17, 3:55 PM
    • 11,935 Posts
    • 11,419 Thanks
    sourcrates
    No, the debt was accrued before you met your partner, he and his ex are the only ones liable for that debt.

It is only the named persons who are liable for debts, if he took further borrowing now, in his name only, it would be nothing to do with you, alternatively, if you borrowed in joint names, you would both be liable.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Let down
    • By Let down 19th Jun 17, 4:16 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Let down
    Thanks everyone feeling reassured now. I knew nothing about this and it came as a shock. I know of people who lost everything and ended up in debt because of their partner didn't really know the ins and outs as it was their business and they didn't want to discuss it. I was worried about this happening to me.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Jun 17, 4:18 PM
    • 7,776 Posts
    • 40,242 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    No joint accounts
    I'd be inclined to keep things that way until such time as you are 100% confident that there aren't any other nice financial surprises to stumble across.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£504.92 (29/08/17)
    • Let down
    • By Let down 19th Jun 17, 4:21 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Let down
    No intention of ever going down that route
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 19th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 3,974 Thanks
    bap98189
    Received a letter in the mail with my partner and his estranged wife's name on saying the were being taken to court (in Scotland) for no longer paying council tax arrears. Obviously his wife does not live at my address. Mortgage council tax and all bills are in my name and I have no debts of my own. Does anyone know if I am liable. Desperate for advice
    No you are not liable. Any debts will be for him and his wife to sort out. Your partner, however, may well be liable, that will depend on the circumstances.
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 19th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 29,454 Posts
    • 82,408 Thanks
    Marisco
    You won't, but your partner probably will.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 19th Jun 17, 5:24 PM
    • 22,934 Posts
    • 88,476 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    It's not your problem. But it is his and he will have to pay all of it - they don't allow for it being two people, they go for all of it from both.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 28,927 Posts
    • 105,848 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I'm just wondering why you opened a letter addressed to him and his ex and didn't just forward it to him, (or, if you don't know his address, send it back 'address unknown').
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 19th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    I have spoken
    Are you married/in a civil partnership with the man and his estranged wife?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,060Posts Today

6,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin