PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• It's good to hear not everyone has had to lie to get a public sector job. I think that's probably a rather recent thing and anyone who got a public sector job long enough ago didnt have to do so?

I know I've seen complaints going on in the media here about people who took jobs more recently and were told to learn Welsh and promised to do so - and the complaints are because they didnt do so.

No-one has ever explained to me actually how these people are allocated time off work to learn it and their course and books paid for for them to do so:cool:. Somehow - I think they are even being expected to use their own time and their own money to do so....:cool:

The word "nationalist" has become a swear word to me since moving....
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Now that interest rates are so low most ISAs either pay peanuts or won't take transfers from prior years. So I have an ISA that has been sitting there for three years and I haven't bothered moving it. Got a letter saying they were going to make the account dormant, which means they use the money for good causes. They very kindly say you can reactivate it if you take in God knows how much info to the branch, where the staff, frankly don't have a clue how to deal with it and tell you you can only reactivate by paying in £1.. Which means you are stuck with their ISA for another year because you can't have two. It's not true by the way but you need real endurance to get it sorted.

But once they decide to do this they don't have to send you statements any more. So it would be very easy to lose track of money and have great difficulty proving it is yours
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It's good to hear not everyone has had to lie to get a public sector job. I think that's probably a rather recent thing and anyone who got a public sector job long enough ago didnt have to do so?

Given we were recruiting for 'welsh not essential for this role' jobs the other week...

It's like anything else - some jobs (customer facing/reception to teachers) Welsh is 'desirable or essential' - others, it's not.

We're not quite that bad - yet.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • NewShadow
    maryb wrote: »
    ... use the money for good causes...
    Like loans, right?

Your money is still there when you want it?

*worried now*

• frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    maryb wrote: »
    Now that interest rates are so low most ISAs either pay peanuts or won't take transfers from prior years. So I have an ISA that has been sitting there for three years and I haven't bothered moving it. Got a letter saying they were going to make the account dormant, which means they use the money for good causes. They very kindly say you can reactivate it if you take in God knows how much info to the branch, where the staff, frankly don't have a clue how to deal with it and tell you you can only reactivate by paying in £1.. Which means you are stuck with their ISA for another year because you can't have two. It's not true by the way but you need real endurance to get it sorted.

But once they decide to do this they don't have to send you statements any more. So it would be very easy to lose track of money and have great difficulty proving it is yours

We decided to put our savings into premium bonds because of low interest rates,we average between £50 and £75 a month in winnings which is more than we would receive in an ISA.And if you want your money back it is back in your acc within days.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Originally Posted by GreyQueen View Post
    Cappella, a good tip for glasses screws is to get them done up tightly and then apply a blob of clear nail polish to stop the darn things unscrewing.

Thanks Greyqueen I will ask the daughter to supply the nail polish when she comes tomorrow and will apply it to MrCs glasses screw :).

MITSTM - my niece who is not Welsh, but married a Welshman works in the public sector in Wales. It was suggested after she began work that she might like to learn Welsh, but was not a prior condition of employment at all, and she is under absolutely no pressure to do so.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    The problem with a cashless society is, what happens when the computer system goes wrong (or is hacked), or the card issuer sees unusual activity and blocks the card, while you are on holiday/working away?

Suddenly, without warning, you are stuck in a foreign country, without money. :eek:
    :) Travel with a krugerrand. Can be converted the world over into the local fiat currency.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • NewShadow
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Travel with a krugerrand. Can be converted the world over into the local fiat currency.

At some point would you be able to point me in the direction of reliable sources of information to learn about the possibility of buying coinage or similar?

I'm not sure how one finds a 'dealer' and how one know's what a fair price is for the item.

Plus, I'm not even entirely sure I know how much we're talking about...

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Like loans, right?

Your money is still there when you want it?

*worried now*

Yes it is still your money, it isn't confiscated - in theory. But I can easily foresee people having endless trouble trying to establish that it is their money. If they don't have to send you statements, what is to say their records are accurate?

And this was after I had left the money for only three years. And ISAs are just the sort of account you do put money in and leave
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Well you've certainly got me feeling more than a little wary about ISA's now.....

After all that effort to get the blimmin' money in the first place - the last thing I want to have to do is be forced into proving my own money is mine. Hello! The fact I was the one that put it in there in the first place is proof enough isnt it....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure