Stop being a Wimp!... DMP Journey

Comments

• Chrisblue1962
    Chrisblue1962 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Ellieseleven

Congratulatons on your new grandson, may you all have many happy times ahead together. Well Done on the 50%, its all downhill and gravity now helping you too :rotfl:.

Keep on going, we all have faith in you to be DFW :T
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - £18,499
    28th October 2019 -
    £13,505 - 27% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!! :)
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Steve,

I'm so glad that my diary has inspired you and helped you to make the decision to go for a DMP

For many years I was able to manage our credit cards and we had huge credit limits but I always set my own credit limit in my head and didn't go beyond that but circumstances in life make you do desperate things! As my OH's business suffered we piled more on the CC's and the panic that I felt inside each time I withdrew cash was horrible. We had never missed a payment on anything and were able to get pretty much anything that we wanted using credit but reality was that it wasn't our money!

Nearly 4 years on and although it is hard, we are making headway and I can now start to think about what we will do once the debt is repaid. One thing is for sure... I WILL NEVER HAVE ANOTHER CREDIT CARD AGAIN!!!

We live a fairly normal life, no-one knows that we are on a DMP, we budget better, we save for the things we need (we have an emergency fund which, if you can do really helps), we don't live beyond our means and...WE SLEEP WELL!

I wish you the best of luck with your journey, if there is anything that you want to ask, then fire away. I don't have all the answers but I have the experiences and I'm happy to share those with you. For us the DMP was the best route and we are now over half way there.

I also found that putting my feelings down in my diary helped me cope as I was able to vent my feelings, frustrations (see my thoughts on OH lol!) and my innermost fears. I didn't have anyone to confide in and OH is more than useless (he runs away and clams up), this diary and the DFW forum has been my lifeline for advice, tips and friendship. Everyone is in the same boat and we all help each other.

Take care and do pop in from time to time with an update of your progress.

Ellie xx
  • Ellieseleven
    Thanks Chris, it just goes to show money certainly does not buy happiness. The joy that our little one has brought is worth more than anything x

How are things with you, are you and your wife settled on the job front?

Ellie xx
  • Ellieseleven
    I have a new job!!! I haven't been happy in my job for a while and decided to have a look around and I have been offered a great role with a company in...London!!!!!!

I am panicking whether it is the right thing to do but I feel that I have to give it a go. I won't always have to be in London, I can work from home (thinking I can save on the £30-£40 per week that I am currently spending on petrol as I can get a cheap off-peak train ticket for far less). I have family in London so can stay with them and it's more money.

Anyway, I have resigned (although they are trying to talk me out of it and I have had a wobble re: all of the above).

Lets hope that I have made the right decision - time will tell xx
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Hi Ellie,

Congratulations on your new grandson and your new job... :T

Love Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Ellieseleven
    Just updating my spreadsheets and checking back to when we started our DMP - I did a comparison on what things were costing us per month (mobiles, sky, insurances etc.) and in the time since we have nearly doubled our DMP payment but are still £265 better off a month!

It just shows that before we must have just accepted anything and never bothered to check if we could get better deals! I'm so glad we have learned to shop around and now budget for things better.

That's cheered me up

Ellie xx
  • Ellieseleven
    New job is now on the horizon:eek: I have 4 more working days left in my old job and then it's off to London I go! I'm lucky that I have family there and can stay with them, it will allow me to do this job and also catch up with aunts, uncles and cousins that I haven't seen for ages.

Travelling 1st class for the first journey down as it is only £2 dearer than standard class and they will feed me, so will save the cost of a sandwich and a drink;) Off peak fares are much more affordable so that's the way to go:o

I'm hoping that I won't need my car as much so less mileage = longer time between services and less outlay on petrol.

Salary is more but my tax code has just changed for the worse so I may only be slightly better off but anything is better than nothing.

OH has a few decent jobs coming up so I'm hoping that we can squirrel some cash away for later in the year.

We now have two debts under 1k which I feel is a massive achievement especially when one of them was originally a loan for 10k

We have had a rough few months since Christmas with one thing and another and it has been a struggle to keep going but I feel optimistic for the future and it is this which keeps me on track.

This certainly is a rollercoaster journey but one that I am so glad to be on when I consider the alternative which would be to still be drowning in debt, trying to make minimum payments and getting nowhere fast;)

Take care

Ellie xx
  • Ellieseleven
    Last working day in my old job, feeling quite emotional at the moment but I feel that I am doing the right, only time will tell.

Finally got some PPI back from MBNA, it's only £200 but originally they said we weren't entitled to anything so every little helps as they say.
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Hi ellie,
    Hope you had a good last day!! And well done on the ppi money.
    Puzz.x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Ellieseleven
    Survived my last day in the old job, blubbed everywhere at leaving friends but we'll keep in touch. Received an unexpected leaving present of £50 in gift vouchers and some beautiful flowers, the gift vouchers will come in very handy as I will use them to buy a new outfit for my new job:T

Having a few days off before starting my new job, so catching up with family & friends and having a cheap day out at the seaside...walk along the prom and some fish & chips!

OH has enough work to keep him going for the next few weeks so that's a relief and things are not as tight as usual;)

Ellie xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport