Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi xspender, I think the challenge may have been better the other way round, start at £52 and work back to £1 as I usually spend more as the weeks go on :rotfl:

Up early again today, since ds2 had his arm set on Friday I can't Sleep properly and keep waking up feeling guilty :( he is sleeping ok though, so that's all the matters :) I've ordered him a more comfy padded sling from amaz*n £6.50 so hopefully it will help.

As I was up early I did a meal plan until next Sat, the huge gammon joint is in the sc now so a lot of the meals are gammon based :D I also wrote a shopping list for the week and a to do list.

One thing I have realised is we need a dishwasher , we have a broken one that has not worked for over a year , and I think it will help on days I'm working. I am going to have a think about it for a while and keep looking to see what deals are out there, so far the cheapest I found was £180 for a full size one, it's not really a "need " I guess but It would certainly help.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello new girly, just de-lurking to say that I started the 52 week challenge back in August, and started it in reverse. That was because dh was made redundant but I had a little extra income for 2 months. Even so, I still had to find about £166 in december! But Feb will only require £120 ish, so it's dropping nicely now. I don't think I could do it going up from £1 through the year with the biggest numbers in Dec! Overall, it's a great way to save, I think. I've put mine towards the mortgage. Good luck!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    would you consider a second hand DW? When I wanted a second freezer I was amazed to discover the number of people selling kitchen electricals on ebay and gumtree.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi pavlovs, I have been looking on fleabay nearby , but they seem to be top of the range ones that are a similar price to the new cheap second hand ones. People must re-fit their kitchens a lot!

I shall keep looking though, I am quite happy to buy used and got our pink fridge from fleabay :D

Hi apple muncher, I'm quite tempted to reverse my savings , but would have to clear out my savings account and then some at the moment, I think I'll have to leave it as it is.:( well done for paying it off the mortgage though, not sure what I'll spend ours on, but am thinking of getting a very small second car for me and dd to share in the future.

It's been a stressful day, dh Is in a foul mood and I have not felt great. Roll on Monday morning! Or maybe not actually as I'm giving the milkshake diet a go again, plus making it a dry feb :( I need to take drastic measures as even with the gym I have lost 1lb this month, which is ok if you have a few years to lose it , but I want to have lost quite a bit by the start of April.

Hope everyone had a good weekend :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Managed a few things off the list today:

Went to gym
    Booked ds2's hospital appt to get re-plastered
    Wrote to premium bonds re lost bonds
    Bought a new sky remote (or cheaper branded one :money:)
    Splashed out on a top of the range iron £6.99 :rotfl:
    Gave family gammon for tea
    Did all washing and ironing up to date
    Stuck to diet :D

Off to Hoover everywhere , then tea , iPad and early night to catch up on diaries and blogs.
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Up early again today, since ds2 had his arm set on Friday I can't Sleep properly and keep waking up feeling guilty :( he is sleeping ok though, so that's all the matters :) I've ordered him a more comfy padded sling from amaz*n £6.50 so hopefully it will help.
    Don't worry yourself too much, newgirly, some breaks aren't that obvious at all (I've been there!) and he's all sorted now anyway. Lucky him to have a high pain threshold, silver lining! :)

Well done on your productive day! :T I feel like I've barely done anything today, oops. :o
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi pearla, thanks for the kind words :)

A very trying day at work today, still home now and I'm dare I say it better organised than usual. Its lucky as I'm working tomorrow and we have an electrician my dad knows coming over as all the light in the main bathroom don't work again, I think it could be tricky as now the loft is done there is no reaching the wiring :eek:
    At least the house is currently fairly tidy, mid week it's usually a bomb site!

I've been going to bed early on days when I have work the next morning and it's making a big difference (plus helping me cope with the lack of crisps and wine :rotfl:)
  • newgirly
    Options
    The bathroom lights are all fixed now, and the cost was £65 , dad paid so I need to pay him back. Not much other money spent this week as I haven't had time.

Dd and I are out tonight together , we are going to see Coriolanus which is on at the cinema but broadcast live from the national theatre, I love these as its £15 each instead of crazy prices , plus it's sold out in London for months anyway, it makes it much more accessible. So the only spend will be a drink for her as the tickets were paid for at Xmas.

Not much else to report, and no time to catch up on diaries this week, hope everyone is well :)
  • newgirly
    Options
    The theatre show was fantastic tonight, I need to book a few more they have war horse and king Lear coming up soon , it is my birthday next month so maybe I will get a bit of money to pay for it :D

Its ds2's hospital appt tomorrow to get his cast changed, am I cruel parking in the p*ets at home superstore over the road rather than the v. expensive hospital car park? I have done it before, but I do buy something there to make up for it.

The diet is going surprisingly well (for me !) approx 1400 cals per day , sometimes a little more and I have lost a couple of pounds since Monday, just shows how much I must normally over eat :eek: still going to the gym and had a lovely swim last night with my friend, there was only one other person in the pool, it's been well worth the £33 pm so far and has stopped up meeting at he shops for coffee and spending.
  • Pearla*Merle
    Options
    You lucky thing! I saw the poster for Coriolanus last night, but I didn't realise it was on so soon, would have loved to have seen it. I've never yet seen one of the live shows but I live in hope...!

I'd definitely be parking in the pets car park... what a bonus, you get to see the bunnies at the same time :D

Well done on all the healthy goodness :T
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback