Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    • 27,728Posts
    • 151,501Thanks
    Karmacat
    Breaking Through, Travelling On
    • 16th Jan 14, 7:37 PM
    Breaking Through, Travelling On 16th Jan 14 at 7:37 PM
    Hello

I think a few people on this board know me already, from the dfw board

I really need the focus of an mse diary - debts are all paid off, except for about 40% of a French mortgage - but income has been declining, and is currently pitiful. And without a diary, I've lost focus on getting the best deal for the things I *do* need to spend out on, like insurance, and Christmas train tickets, that sort of stuff. So I've come back properly after pootling about on other people's threads, and on general threads too, to be fair

The focus is so that I can replace lost income - so that I can have a holiday of my choosing, for instance - and stopping digging into my savings for ordinary living expenses would be nice too Its also so that I can get my pension up beyond "miserable penury" - its kind of urgent, as under the system that lasted till about 15 years ago, I'd be retiring at the end of this year But I'm not, sadly. The aim is to retire in July 2016, when my younger sister retires, with a reasonable pension.

One complication in earning more is that between arthritis, energy issues and the need to stay available to what clients I have, I can't / don't want to, take a second job. So more income has to be through other work - patchwork, portfolio, call it what you like (I know I do ).
    Retired August 2016
Page 310
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,799 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that your new supplies do help your energy levels.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 20th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    ^^^^ what beanie said!!
    Former DFW Need 230. Determined to be MF.
    Current balance £116,878.11. Offset £1034.
    end date - 03/29 aiming for 10/22

Bring it on!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Sep 17, 8:33 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,799 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am currently trying barroca boosts & floradix.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 20th Sep 17, 10:32 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    :whis tle:I'm trying strong coffee and dark chocolate. It seems to be doing me no harm

Bring it on!
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 20th Sep 17, 10:33 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Oh boy have I missed that chocolate emoji.....!!!

Bring it on!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,799 Thanks
    beanielou
    Originally posted by Betterthanever

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 21st Sep 17, 10:33 AM
    • 27,728 Posts
    • 151,501 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I looked that up.

Get your backside down to the beach with a knife. It's seaweed and there's shedloads (new SI unit) of it down there!
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Energy levels, Z, you know what its like! I need to get healthier before I can forage at that level - I've only got local blackberries *once* this year!

Oh no, did the toothbrush help the doorchime at all?
    Originally posted by michelle09
    I think it did, michelle - I did it over the drain, didn't want to do it in the house, and all the terminals are clear again. Got to charge up some batteries and have a go later today.

Originally posted by Betterthanever
    I love the emoji, but I'm not going for the choccie, much as I love it. I still take a good deep sniff if anyone opens it around me, though

Slight emergency today - half a tooth fell off my jaw I don't particularly like the dental practice I go to, but they've really come through for me - phoned them at 9 this morning, and I have an appointment for 12.40. NHS. Pretty good

Nothing else going on, not with that around! Though I will take a bag of fabric stuff to the charity shop to drop off beforehand.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 21st Sep 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2,778 Posts
    • 19,359 Thanks
    Watty1
    Hope tooth is an easy fix ......
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £52963
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Sep 17, 12:26 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,799 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope dentist goes as well as it can.

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 21st Sep 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 12,019 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Ouch!

Hope they got that tooth fixed without too much hassle!
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 21st Sep 17, 7:20 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Ouch indeed! I hope it wasn't too painful for you.

Bring it on!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 22nd Sep 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,029 Posts
    • 5,435 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hope dentist went okay - sounds painful! Great that they were able to fit you in straight away though.
    OPs 2017 = £2603/£10000
    S&S ISA = £300/£600
    OPs made 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance June 2017: £99,974
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 22nd Sep 17, 9:57 AM
    • 27,728 Posts
    • 151,501 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello! Thanks for your vibes.

I got a temp. filling, as I should have known - permanent fix scheduled for 9 October. Dentist I don't particularly like wasn't there, and wouldn't be able to see me till end Nov for the permanent, so I'm going with the new dentist, who is empathic and sweet and wears a mask while doing his thing (all the opposite of the one I don't really like).

Didn't do anything at all when I got home, all day just the bodily stress of getting that done was exhausting, so I binged on various tv addictions Today, it's about getting some sun on my face while the yellow ball is out there, then tidying and getting the place so that I can enjoy the weekend. That's it
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 22nd Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 22,896 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I'm so glad things went well with the dental treatment, KC.

I don't know if I ever mentioned it on your thread but something similar happened to me a few weeks ago when a filling dropped out and took a lot of what was left of the surrounding tooth with it. I saw a different dentist and was a bit trepidatious because he looked about 14. Needn't have worried, he was so gentle and thorough. The treatment didn't hurt a bit. He was a lot slower than the senior dentist (who I don't like at all) but I felt I was being treated as an individual and not just the next one on the conveyor belt to be dealt with as quickly as possible. My one was Polish but his English was excellent. I think Polish dentists have a very good reputation from what I've since heard.

Enjoy the sunshine. These warm and sunny Autumn days really lift the spirits
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; Yesterday at 11:26 AM.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Aug: £4112.05 Sept: £124.86
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: £3733.00/£5000.

Original Debt: £56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Balance now: £15841
    . Getting there
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    • 47,236 Posts
    • 169,799 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad dentist went well.

• Watty1
    • By Watty1 22nd Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,778 Posts
    • 19,359 Thanks
    Watty1
    Glad you have a found a dentist you like as well as getting tooth fixed.
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £52963
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 27,728 Posts
    • 151,501 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thank you lovely peeps

I don't know if I ever mentioned it on your thread but something similar happened to me a few weeks ago when a filling dropped out and took a lot of what was left of the surrounding tooth with it. I saw a different dentist and was a bit trepidatious because he looked about 14. Needn't have worried, he was so gentle and thorough. The treatment didn't hurt a bit. He was a lot slower than the senior dentist (who I don't like at all) but I felt I was being treated as an individual and not just the next one on the conveyor belt to be dealt with as quickly as possible. My one was Polish but his English was excellent. I think Polish dentists have a very good reputation from what I've since heard.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    You hadn't mentioned it, CBC, but my experience is an almost exact duplicate of yours, except that mine was English I'm glad you had a good experience with the new dentist.

I went private for a hygiene appointment a few years ago, because unpleasant dentist refused to see me, and that was a Syrian dentist, and he was amazing, I felt so sorry that he was taking a job below his skill level, but I'm sure he's moved on now that he's established in this country.

I had a Polish dentist as a niece-in-law for a short time, but the marriage didn't last connections are funny old things

Anyway, mse stuff, I have a list of a few bits and bobs to do, easy stuff like updating flash drive backups, which is going on as I speak, and yet more tidying. Which may be why I seem to do a lot when I do stuff, because I don't tidy up after myself, and I'm therefore living in a tip

Save
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 23rd Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 22,896 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I know you solve a lot of techie issues KC and I wonder if you know of a fix for being unable to make my laptop go into full screen mode. The usual F11 button doesn't work on this laptop. I have Windows 10 now instead of 7 and the Edge browser (as an update from IE) apparently doesn't have the full screen facility. Seems crazy to me but after trawling through so many websites for help it seems to be the concensus.

I don't need to use full screen very often but I had to return a Prolific survey without completing it recently as I was unable to see the video and the button below it on the screen at the same time. That was one of the stipulations it made for being accepted for this study. I could manage it if I zoomed to 50% but then it was too small for me to make anything out. I don't want it to happen regularly. I suppose the solution would be to download another browser if Edge is not playing ball but I'd prefer not to have to.

Is it an issue you've had to deal with please and if so did you manage to find a solution?

I hope you enjoyed the sunshine yesterday and that your tooth hasn't given you any discomfort

. Getting there
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 27,728 Posts
    • 151,501 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi there, thanks for the good wishes, CBC, no dental pain here, thank heavens

Sorry about Edge - doesn't the slider bar appear if the browser can't display the whole page? Oh, but they still wouldn't display at the same time ... as for zooming out, do you *have* to make anything out? Are you just watching the video and pressing the button, or are you having to type text or do something specific? Hmmm. Another browser is probably the answer - but isn't that appalling, that functionality is *lost* with a new browser?
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 23rd Sep 17, 3:29 PM
    • 4,081 Posts
    • 22,896 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Hi there, thanks for the good wishes, CBC, no dental pain here, thank heavens

Sorry about Edge - doesn't the slider bar appear if the browser can't display the whole page? Oh, but they still wouldn't display at the same time ... as for zooming out, do you *have* to make anything out? Are you just watching the video and pressing the button, or are you having to type text or do something specific? Hmmm. Another browser is probably the answer - but isn't that appalling, that functionality is *lost* with a new browser?
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks, KC

Yes, I need the full screen for some of the Prolific studies. Some are really problemmatic without that and sometimes, like this week, the researcher specified that unless the video and response button were visible on the screen at the same time people were ineligible to take part. I assume responses had to be made on what the video was showing whether just with buttons/arrows or by typing. I've had those sort of studies in the past when IE was my browser. Prolific is a good money maker for me, plus, I enjoy doing the studies which are a far cry from some of the repetitive ones on some of the other survey sites.

Someone suggested using Chrome as a browser especially for Prolific. She says Edge has been a big problem in her workplace and everyone rebelled and insisted it was replaced by Chrome. As you say though, it is appalling when the default browser is lacking in some functionality.

. Getting there
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,060Posts Today

6,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin