3rd party insurer taking forever!

Hi Guys,
Pleased to have joined MSE!
I'm hoping someone might be able to help, I'll try my best to keep it simple and clear :)

I was recently stationary in traffic and a vehicle travelling in the opposite direction went to overtake a bus that had pulled over to let passengers off. He somehow misjudged the manoeuvre resulting in him hitting the drivers side front of my vehicle.

He apologised at the scene, details were exchanged and I managed to get my car home.

After reporting it to my insurer they came back to me some weeks later saying that the third party is now disputing liability and that I would have to take it up with his insurance company.

I've sent heaps of details including a google map which conveniently shows a bus stopping in the same location and the direction the third party took when hitting my vehicle. Despite how brazenly clear it is, he still disputes liability saying that I drove in towards him whilst he was over-taking.

It's been three months and I am without a vehicle, his insurer say's that they have to look after their customer and support the dispute filed but will settle at part-responsibility (which I refuted 2 months ago).

Every time I call his insurer they say they're waiting for him to respond. He was fully comprehensive so has probably had his car fixed and is possibly prolonging the outcome.

Is there anything I can do to speed things up? Or any advice someone can give me to get his insurance company to be more reactive :(

Thanks so much

Mike

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Insurance can move slower than glaciers, especially when their customer is also slow to respond.

I take it your 3rd party insured? Was it actually cheaper than comprehensive? Check at renewal its maybe cheaper.

Give them 14 days notice that your were stationery and they crashed into you whilst attempting to overtake a bus. In no way will you have any blame for the incident as you were not moving in a line of traffic.

And then goto the small claims?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Hey, Thanks for the reply.
    Yea in this case for the car I had 3rd party was cheaper.

I actually did exactly that, sent them a threatening letter and said I'll be pursuing it with a small claims court. It still hasn't been enough to get them to respond so I guess that will have to be my next move.

Really appreciate your input :)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2017 at 10:55PM
    If you took out legal cover with your policy then you can use that to get all your uninsured losses reimbursed.

Otherwise consider seeing if a claims management company will take your case on no win no fee.

If you do decide to go through the court, you issue a claim against the third party, not his insurer
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I hope you have an independent witness?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Although there was a bus full of people calling him an idiot no one I could really ask.
    The bus took off whilst I was getting his insurance details and as he was apologetic at the time I didn't even think there would be an issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure