Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Neocon
    • By Neocon 18th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Neocon
    Tried to withdraw cash from nationwide. No cash. Account debited. Serious trouble
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    Tried to withdraw cash from nationwide. No cash. Account debited. Serious trouble 18th Jun 17 at 9:50 PM
    I tried to withdraw £90 from a cash machine yesterday. The cash didn't come out but my account was debited.

Called Nationwide and they said yes, they were having problems with cash machines today, a few customers had had the same issue so they were aware this was happening. They would record it and have to carry out an audit of the machine, following which the money would be put back in my account. This would take around 19 days.

In the meantime, I have £26 to get to work for the next two weeks and to feed my family which is not enough. I need that money now.

I can't afford to get to work for the next two weeks and have no more annual leave so will be forced to take unpaid days.

I have practically no food in the cupboards and I have a family to feed.

I have no money coming into the house until the 30th.

I have explained this to Nationwide, they just keep saying it will take 19 days.

Surely they can check this quicker. Why am I out of pocket and now struggling for two weeks because of their faulty machines? Why do they get to keep my money while they confirm this. They were aware of the problem already. Surely they should put the money back in my account now, and then take as long as they damned please to review it. If it turns out I'm making the whole thing up for the sake of £90, turn it into an overdraft and take it out of my salary on the 30th.

How can a bank turn around and wash their hands of me when I have told them that I don't now have enough money to survive the next two weeks. Their suggested solution to me was to borrow some money from a family member. How dare they suggest that I inconvenience someone to help me to rectify their mistake? Even if I had a family member - how dare they suggest I get myself into debt?

To a lot of people, £90 might not be a critical amount of money. But it is to me. I simply cannot wait 19 days for this money. I need it now for essentials.
Page 2
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 20th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 18,430 Posts
    • 14,144 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Nationwide are entitled to check that the OP's story is true, which involves contacting the ATM owner for confirmation that the debit did/did not happen. This is the part that takes ages because the 3rd party ATM owner has up to 15 working days to respond.
    Originally posted by GingerFurball
    But in the meantime they should assume that the OP is telling the truth and return the money with the proviso that it can be clawed back later. It's particularly so in this case where it appears there was a Link issue that has no doubt affected quite a large number of transactions.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 20th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Nationwide are entitled to check that the OP's story is true, which involves contacting the ATM owner for confirmation that the debit did/did not happen. This is the part that takes ages because the 3rd party ATM owner has up to 15 working days to respond.
    Originally posted by GingerFurball
    I may be wrong but it sounded to me as though the OP had used a Nationwide ATM to make the withdrawal. If this is the case, there should be no reason for it to take so long.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£66.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £179.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £5/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 20th Jun 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,574 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    I may be wrong but it sounded to me as though the OP had used a Nationwide ATM to make the withdrawal. If this is the case, there should be no reason for it to take so long.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    The OP simply stated that it was a cash machine, no specific mention of who owned the machine.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 20th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 5,466 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    eskbanker
    The OP simply stated that it was a cash machine, no specific mention of who owned the machine.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    OP did also say "Why am I out of pocket and now struggling for two weeks because of their faulty machines?" and "They would record it and have to carry out an audit of the machine", which, in context, would suggest a Nationwide machine, although it isn't stated any more explicitly than that....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,060Posts Today

6,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin