Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 20th Apr 17, 9:49 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 4Thanks
    philmac750
    Firm using old machines - they don't take 10p or 5p coins
    • 20th Apr 17, 9:49 AM
    Firm using old machines - they don't take 10p or 5p coins 20th Apr 17 at 9:49 AM
    just wondering what the situation is where on private land, the company has installed machines, that do not take legal tender of 5p and 10p coins, even though their signs state they do. Every 10p coin just drops straight through. After a discussion with their meter chap last night, he states the machine is working correctly, I say I cannot buy a ticket with legal tender and the machine is faulty. I drove off and parked somewhere else, but last week I got an on screen PCN, same machine, same issue. It wouldn't take the coins, so I left a not on dash + the coins I had tried to use. From reading threads here, ignore the PCN (exel parking operate these machines I think) or appeal with their online "login" system ? Are they not legally required to upgrade these machines to take the 10p and 5p that have been in use for years ? and what about the new £1. There are several people (pensioners, dog walkers etc..) that have been caught by this situation. I even demonstrated the 10p's dropping out of the machine to the meter chap. he said he'd didn't know the legal aspects of his job, just that he had to check and put PCN's where people didn;t have a ticket. I said, I can't buy a ticket and round we went to the beginning again.
Page 3
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 25th Apr 17, 3:55 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    philmac750
    6 days after the PCN ? Isn't it 28 before contacting DVLA ?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 25th Apr 17, 4:42 PM
    • 14,558 Posts
    • 22,907 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Was the windscreen ticket one which suggests there 'may have been a contravention' and asks you to check the details on a website address they give?

Or was it a fully completed ticket with all your car's details (VRM, colour, model etc) and enclosed in a packet and attached to your windscreen?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 25th Apr 17, 5:52 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    philmac750
    It was the former but I didn't login
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 26th Apr 17, 1:23 AM
    • 50,073 Posts
    • 63,466 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    6 days after the PCN ? Isn't it 28 before contacting DVLA ?
    Originally posted by philmac750
    Yes but VCS, or is it Excel, have come up with a wizard wheeze of using a NTD that's not a NTD and it seems to be slipping right through the DVLA net (which is full of holes). Sounds like one of the usual brief ones people keep posting about.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• philmac750
    • By philmac750 26th Apr 17, 12:42 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    philmac750
    What to do next
    So, I have video and phographic evidence that the machine was not working properly, no lighting on the signs and no lighting on the machine. Is the next step is to send them a letter in a few days time rejecting their PCN as the RK of the vehicle ?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 26th Apr 17, 1:05 PM
    • 14,558 Posts
    • 22,907 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    So, I have video and phographic evidence that the machine was not working properly, no lighting on the signs and no lighting on the machine. Is the next step is to send them a letter in a few days time rejecting their PCN as the RK of the vehicle ?
    You follow the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1 using the IPC initial appeal. If you want to add those points to it, then you can, as long as you are careful not to reveal who was driving.

But you need to manage your expectations right now, by not expecting whatever you put in that appeal to make a blind bit of difference. I can 99.99% guarantee that your appeal will be rejected by Excel.

You then need to read the cons and cons of subsequently appealing to the IAS. Again, you need to manage any unrealistic expectations you might have about a likely outcome.

I'd be looking to use the evidence that you have assembled as part of your defence should this ever go before a judge.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • philmac750
    • By philmac750 26th Apr 17, 1:31 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    philmac750
    Have they not broken any rules or the data protection act by accessing my information way too early ?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 26th Apr 17, 2:30 PM
    • 14,558 Posts
    • 22,907 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Have they not broken any rules or the data protection act by accessing my information way too early ?
    The DVLA don't believe they have. They have found nothing untoward with the way these 'advisory tickets' have been issued.

But you must take it up with the DVLA yourself, and if no satisfaction, complain to the ICO.

We don't like the way this manipulation of the system is taking place, but the forum isn't the place to provide you with a definitive black or white answer.

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 26th Apr 17, 8:06 PM
    • 50,073 Posts
    • 63,466 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    It would be worth a detailed complaint to the ICO but bear in mind the ICO will not know about the POFA, the deadlines, or the fact that after a NTD a parking firm must wait for over 28 days before accessing DVLA data.

It all comes down to whether this is a NTD. Many of us say it must be, because otherwise what is it, a nullity? But others say it's not a NTD. It wouild be good to see the ICO's opinion on whether data has been accessed too early, if they receive a formal complaint about this conduct, showing them the rules as set out, including the requirement to wait over 28 days after a NTD before accessing DVLA data.

I can't recall where that is set out, although I remember it is...KADOE? In an FOI? Anyone know?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,060Posts Today

6,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin