Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mumsy3
    • By Mumsy3 26th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Mumsy3
    Providing a free bar
    • 26th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    Providing a free bar 26th Mar 17 at 8:53 PM
    My son is getting married this summer. They are hiring a venue and are wanting to provide a free bar because the guests are travelling and therefore have additional costs for staying over etc. The venue is happy for them to provide their own booze.

I am looking for ideas as to how some of the costs of providing the alcohol can be recuperated from donations. Can anyone suggest anything other than a bucket on the bar for guests to make a donation for what they drink please?

TIA x
Page 2
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 24th Apr 17, 7:33 PM
    • 12,706 Posts
    • 16,895 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    We had free bar at our wedding. It was one of my "must haves" after attending too many weddings where the venue, in my view, grossly overcharged for drinks. Our guests weren't asked to pay or donate anything.

We sourced the wine: 100 bottles each of red, white and fizz, cheaply from France. Beer and cider was bought and stockpiled in the months leading up to the wedding whenever we saw it on offer. Soft drinks and tea were available for non-drinkers and children. The only thing we didn't provide were spirits. If anybody wanted those, they were forewarned to bring their own.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,060Posts Today

6,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin