IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

SIP loses in court

SIP loss despite using Beavis and a failed IAS appeal in court; (see post 37, hopefully further details will be made available).
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=96826&st=0

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    so , good to see that those morons at Stupid Ignorant Pratts lost out due to incompetence and pure greed , the guy overpaid on 2 payment tickets yet their greed and a failed appeal plus a failed IAS appeal meant they thought they could win in court (they even tried the Beavis argument too apparently)
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    How can you cite Beavis in a contractual charge?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,256
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    The_Deep wrote: »
    How can you cite Beavis in a contractual charge?

Quite easy for a knuckle dragger.

'It's Beavis, innit m'lud, so I win, eh?'
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • zoonyx
    zoonyx Posts: 235
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They raise an interesting point regarding giving information to Gladstones, but I still think it's worth letting them screw it up.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You just need to be careful not to say anything in your IAS appeal that'll hurt you in a court, but in general you want them to bring the rejected appeal up because you can tear it apart in front of the judge.
  • salmosalaris
    salmosalaris Posts: 967 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2016 at 5:41PM
    Herzlos wrote: »
    You just need to be careful not to say anything in your IAS appeal that'll hurt you in a court, but in general you want them to bring the rejected appeal up because you can tear it apart in front of the judge.

Why ? How can it possibly help your case ? If their case is a crock a DJ will see it anyway . But an ill informed/ lazy DJ might well give it unwarranted credibility
    There's enough to do picking apart the other sides case let alone an additional "independent" appeal verdict that supports it . The very best an unsuccesful IAS appeal can do is no harm as I guess it did in this case .
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,634
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I agree - one reason I still say do not use the IAS is that some Judges might decide it gives a scam charge credence.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    I agree - one reason I still say do not use the IAS is that some Judges might decide it gives a scam charge credence.

But judges are not fools, they listen to conflicting arguments every day. It is up to the appellant to persuade them that the Red Cow Gang are the bad guys.
  • The_Deep
    edited 27 February 2016 at 3:19PM
    But an ill informed/ lazy DJ might well give it unwarranted credibility ...

I have met several Judges, went to school with one, worked with another, been to CC several times, none fitted your description.

But an ill informed/ lazy DJ might well give it unwarranted credibility ...

Why? Judges listen to opposing arguments every day, it is up to the appellant to put forward a convincing argument that the Red Cow Lane gang are the bad guys. This should not be too difficult, all the facts are out there.

I think that you are being too negative.
  • But you're not there to discredit the IAS . That is an unnecessary distraction . I resubmit a failed IAS is useless to a defendant , it helps their case in no way . If the claim is unlawful a failed IAS decision doesn't make the case any stronger . The effect can only be potentially negative or at best of no influence .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure