Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

charities for help with vet bills?

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi we get working tax credits to top up OH's wages and want to get our female dog neutered, the vet quoted around £140. I have looked on pdsa site and am waiting for a reply as not sure I fit into postcode catchment area we live in Wiltshire I too would like to know if there is anywhere in my area to get some help with the costs. thanks
    as I said in my post some vets have a scheme with the dogs trust to reduce neutering costs, for those on benefits:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • rach!_3
    rach!_3 Posts: 654 Forumite
    Hi we get working tax credits to top up OH's wages and want to get our female dog neutered, the vet quoted around £140. I have looked on pdsa site and am waiting for a reply as not sure I fit into postcode catchment area we live in Wiltshire I too would like to know if there is anywhere in my area to get some help with the costs. thanks
    dogstrust gave me vouchers to cover full cost, because we were on full income and an area where there are a lot of loose dogs etc.
    i cant remember what they called it but it was kind of an "at risk" area
  • I would try all these places, and try your local vets - there are often smaller local charities that work on a case by case basis with local vets that can help too.

And apologies for the rant, but...

Secret Lady, these charities DO help those on pension and low wage as well as those on benefits.

However, having worked for 2 major charities, I am aware that for many people "low wage" means their own salary. I have had arguments with people earning £30k per year, trying to explain that low wage is not that!!!

There is a sliding scale, and the charities do help as many as possible, but as another poster mentioned you need a cut-off point.

Unfortunately alot of these charities are abused by those too tight to pay for vets bills, using friends and relatives benefit details to get their animal treated. To police this means paying more salaries, or finding more volunteers to give up time and do a complicated and stressful job - verbal and physical abuse from clients is not unusual when dealing with these people.

So please be aware, ALL the people working for these charities (on lower salary than the private sector, 24/7) are doign it for THE ANIMALS.
    Give yourself a Chistmas bonus £14 a week!
    Total so far £28
  • littlejaffa
    littlejaffa Posts: 2,251
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It is not the fault of the pdsa or any other animal charity that people choose to have pets they can't afford to keep. They can't be expected to take responsibility for every animal and every owner who says they can't afford the bills, there has to be a cut of point. Otherwise what's stopping someone on £90k salary with a £80 mortgage asking for hand outs extreme example but i hope you see my point.

Re the pdsa, if you are not in their catchment area, but you have a pdsa shop quite near you, complain and they will see you. There's quite a few charity shops in areas not covered by their hospitals, and a bit of noise will get you seen and often the area changed.
    Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
  • We have recently started on a DMP so money is very tight and pretty much all accounted for. At the moment I have e mailed pdsa and they require you to be on housing and/or council tax benefit so am awaiting a response, pretty sure our vets do not have anything to offer via the dogs trust but will ask tomorrow morning. We have a sundrie fund of £15 per month on our plan and the vet recommended getting her done in 3 months so if we could save that we would have enought by the time she needs to go and have it done so either way we will sort it out.
    thanks for your help. PP
    LBM-29/08/07
    Good Enough Club member no 42
  • hi i have the same problem of finding help with my dogs vets bills.
    im a full time student so dont recive any benifits, so no charity will help me, its annoying coz i love my dog loads but the only response i get is sorry cant help unless ur on benifits, i cant afford vets bills so unless i can find anyone may have to have her put down.
    all this shows to me is that im better off on benifits than i am working and earning money.
  • crazyzoe wrote: »
    hi i have the same problem of finding help with my dogs vets bills.
    im a full time student so dont recive any benifits, so no charity will help me, its annoying coz i love my dog loads but the only response i get is sorry cant help unless ur on benifits, i cant afford vets bills so unless i can find anyone may have to have her put down.
    all this shows to me is that im better off on benifits than i am working and earning money.

unfortiontly my little dog died, but not coz of lack of funds as my dad payed it for me, but coz of what was wrong wid her
  • We have recently started on a DMP so money is very tight and pretty much all accounted for. At the moment I have e mailed pdsa and they require you to be on housing and/or council tax benefit so am awaiting a response, pretty sure our vets do not have anything to offer via the dogs trust but will ask tomorrow morning. We have a sundrie fund of £15 per month on our plan and the vet recommended getting her done in 3 months so if we could save that we would have enought by the time she needs to go and have it done so either way we will sort it out.
    thanks for your help. PP

You may want to consider investing some of your £15 into pet insurance after the spey - if your dog had a common infection or illness, vets fees could easily cost £100 plus, nevermind if she had anything more serious - otherwise you may find yourself unable to pay for her treatment
  • its true the charities only help people on benefits so any low paid workers with no spare cash have had it. Its all right saying get them insured but if you have an older dog they either charge you the earth or refuse to insure or pay out. I owe loads of money cos I have had to borrow to pay vets costs and we are unable to go to charities even though we don't have much spare cash. No wonder folk don't want to work . I am ill and cannot work but my partner does and we have to pay full everything. If neither of us worked we would have fantastic teeth for free i could get some new glasses and free pet treatment probably the rent and poll tax paid the list is endless. There ought to be an instalment plan for payment to vets. The one where I go you have to pay imediately or they keep your animal and dispose of it accordingly if the bills not paid. Not nice at all. Also some vets don't accept the insurance and you have to pay then reclaim it yourself from the insurance which is a right old pain. What if the bill is hundreds and you just havent got it? Yet an animal with a benefits claimant for owner gets immediate free treatment. I agree the PDSA and suchlike don't seem to have care factor. I have seen people with really sick or injured animals been turned away cos they don't fit the criteria and told they need to see a private vet. Wheres the caring gone?.
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    with costs as they are its to expensive to keep pets these days. a friend cat had cancer on ear and had to have them cut off, £ 380 it cost, another friend cat had cancer in mouth they paid out over £1000 and now will have to have put done. if you love your animal you will find the money, don't let them suffer mean owners
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport