Partial retirement from civil service advice

Options
I am 60 in May and considering changing from 5 to 3 days a week from September and taking my pension. I am in the classic scheme.
Can anyone advise please?
Will I loose out on my final retirement amount if I work over 3 years before finally retiring?
Am I able to leave the lump sum until final retirement?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

AFAIK you effectively start a new employment contract, so all your history and benefits etc may be lost.

You old 5 day post is terminated and your pension benefits are released in full.

Your new 3 day contract starts and you are a fresh employee, and can join a pension scheme for the relatively short time you are still there.

Perhaps the employment contract may just be varied to a shorter working week, but it may not. Things like long service awards, extra leave entitlement, sick pay etc are lost and gone for ever.

However you work 3 days a week, have a large lump sum in the bank and get paid a pension. The tax and NI will probably be lower on earnings etc so that you have time and money for a better life.

IT DOES need careful thought and a negotiation with the employer, but can be beneficial.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    the guys here in a similar position a couple of years ago did it, are still here on 3-day weeks, and loving it...plus as one of them said, I can go fully any time I like :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dixy wrote: »
    Will I loose out on my final retirement amount if I work over 3 years before finally retiring?

No, because you have already taken your accrued pension and it will be based on your accrued service & salary at that point.
    Dixy wrote: »
    Am I able to leave the lump sum until final retirement?
    Thanks in advance.

No, you have to retire and take all your pension benefits when you (partially) retire. I think, but am not sure, that you will accrue "new pension" for the years you subsequently work part time under the current scheme
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    . I think, but am not sure, that you will accrue "new pension" for the years you subsequently work part time under the current scheme

yes, this is the case...not much extra, but extra nonetheless :)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    One thing to remember is that your pension plus salary when part time cannot be more than your full time salary.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
  • Dixy_3
    Dixy_3 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    No, because you have already taken your accrued pension and it will be based on your accrued service & salary at that point.

No, you have to retire and take all your pension benefits when you (partially) retire. I think, but am not sure, that you will accrue "new pension" for the years you subsequently work part time under the current scheme

Thanks for all the replies it has cleared up a few points.
    The stuff I have read so far can be a bit confusing.
    I have put figures into the on line calculatior and it looks ok as far as I can see. I just don't want to make a mistake and loose out.

It would appear that won't be the case, so long as I am over 60 I will get the full pension I am due.
    I should get a bit more at full retirement too.

Just need to get management to agree my new part time contract. :beer:
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Friend of mine worked in the civil service years said the new employees are told dont look out the window in the morning otherwise you will have nothing to do in the afternoon.
    Meanwhile us lot in the private sector working 55 hours pw week plus then getting stopped £400 in tax to help fund your take the money and run pensions at 55
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Meanwhile us lot in the private sector working 55 hours pw week plus then getting stopped £400 in tax to help fund your take the money and run pensions at 55

Now now Mr Muscle, that's not really answering Dixy's question, is it? Especially as Dixy is already nearly 60, and wants to carry on working. Perhaps you could check with your civil servant friend about PCSPS abatement rules and report back...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure