IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ECP Appeal Rejected after following MSE Advice

Comments

• 3) The charge is a penalty, breaches the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and is prohibited/unfair under the CPUTRs. It is not saved by ParkingEye v Beavis.

No evidence has been produced either way by this operator as why it is lawful to try to charge a rate (a reduced one) of £50 or full charge rate of £90 parking charge far exceeds the cost to the landowner of the alleged overstay. I therefore feel the charge asked for is punitive and unreasonable.

This situation involves no breach of the legitimate interests of the landowner. This can be very easily distinguished from the case of ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis.

Indeed, the Judges' findings at the Court of Appeal stage - which were not disputed nor overturned at the Supreme Court, so the findings stand as part of that binding case law - fully support my view that the case of 'Kemble v Farren' remains the binding authority in support of this position. At 47 in the Court of Appeal Judgment, it was held:

''When the court is considering an ordinary financial or commercial contract, then it is understandable that the law, which lays down its own rules as to the compensation due from a contract breaker to the innocent party, should prohibit terms which require the payment of compensation going far beyond that which the law allows in the absence of any contract provision governing this outcome. The classic and simple case is that referred to by Tindal CJ in Kemble v Farren (1829) 6 Bing. 141 at 148:
    But that a very large sum should become immediately payable, in consequence of the non-payment of a very small sum, and that the former should not be considered a penalty, appears to be a contradiction in terms, the case being precisely that in which courts of equity have always relieved, and against which courts of law have, in modern times, endeavoured to relieve, by directing juries to assess the real damages sustained by the breach of the agreement.” ‘’

And at the Supreme Court it was held at 14.
    ''…where a contract contains an obligation on one party to perform an act, and also provides that, if he does not perform it, he will pay the other party a specified sum of money, the obligation to pay the specified sum is a secondary obligation which is capable of being a penalty ''

At 22, the Supreme Court explored Lord Dunedin’s speech in Dunlop and separated complex cases (Beavis) from ordinary/standard contracts with a transaction and tariff paid at a machine:
    ''Lord Dunedin's...four tests are a useful tool for deciding whether these expressions can properly be applied to simple damages clauses in standard contracts. But they are not easily applied to more complex cases.''

This is NOT a 'more complex' case by any stretch of the imagination. At 32, it was held that a trader, in this case a parking company:
    ''...can have no proper interest in simply punishing the defaulter. His interest is in performance or in some appropriate alternative to performance. In the case of a straightforward damages clause, that interest will rarely extend beyond compensation for the breach, and we therefore expect that Lord Dunedin’s four tests would usually be perfectly adequate to determine its validity.''

Clearly a charge ‘out of all proportion’ to the alleged overstay - is an unfair penalty to the mind of any reasonable man. If the remedy is out of all proportion with the 'breach' and the (completely different) Beavis case does NOT apply to this argument.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 supports my position that the failure in performance of the keypad and/or failure by the operator to diligently carry out the necessary checks to ensure charges are not issued inappropriately, is unfair and unenforceable:

LINK: legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/schedule/2/enacted
    - Schedule 2: 'Consumer contract terms which may be regarded as unfair':
    ’’A term which has the object or effect of inappropriately excluding or limiting the legal rights of the consumer in relation to the trader or another party in the event of total or partial non-performance or inadequate performance by the trader of any of the contractual obligations…’’
    ''A term which has the object or effect of requiring a consumer who fails to fulfil his obligations under the contract to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation.''

This charge is clearly punitive and is not saved from breaching the 'penalty rule' (i.e. Lord Dunedin's four tests for a penalty) by the Beavis case, which does NOT supersede other defences. It turned on completely different facts and related only to that car park with its own unique complexity of commercial justification. This case is not comparable.

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 also supports my position that this commercial practice of charging for their own system failure is unfair:

LINK:legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2008/9780110811574/regulation/3
    ’’Prohibition of unfair commercial practices’’: 3.

(1) Unfair commercial practices are prohibited.

(2) Paragraphs (3) and (4) set out the circumstances when a commercial practice is unfair.
    (3) A commercial practice is unfair if—
    (a) it contravenes the requirements of professional diligence; and
    (b) it materially distorts or is likely to materially distort the economic behaviour of the average consumer...
    (4) A commercial practice is unfair if—
    (a) it is a misleading action under the provisions of regulation 5;
    (b) it is a misleading omission under the provisions of regulation 6; ‘’

I have shown that Euro Car Parks have failed all of the above tests (my bold) which makes a charge under these circumstances prohibited and unenforceable. The Beavis case established that the penalty rule was certainly deemed ‘engaged’ in parking charge cases. Even if POPLA cannot consider consumer law (why ever not?) then the evidence shows that this charge is the very essence of ‘unconscionable’ which was the Beavis case definition of an unrecoverable penalty.

4) Incorrect use of Fairlie vs Fenton 1870

Euro Car Parks have mis-applied Fairlie vs Fenton 1870 by stating:
    Any person who makes a contract in his own name without disclosing the existence of a principal, or who, through disclosing the fact that he is acting as an agent on behalf of a principal, renders himself personally liable on the contract, is entitled to enforce it against the other contracting party. It therefore follows that a lawful contract between the car park operator and the motorist will be enforceable by the car park operator as a party to that contract. This is supported by case law of Fairlie v Fenton (1870 LR 5 Exch 169).
    The crucial part is 'renders himself personally liable'. Essentially this means the operator can sue the motorist if the motorist can sue the operator. In practice, this rarely is the case. The benefit to the motorist is the provision of a parking space, but if that goes wrong, the operator is quick to absolve themselves of responsibility. If the parking surface has a pothole and a vehicle suffers damage, or if the car park surface is covered in ice and the driver slips getting out of the car, then typically it will be the landowner the motorist sues, not the operator of a pair of cameras.

5) Lack of signage - unclear signage – no contract with driver - no adequate notice of the charge, maximum stay nor grace period.

The entrance signage was not suitably placed to be read from a distance for a driver in an approaching car whilst manoeuvring into the car park from the public road and many of the words are in a small font and are not legible or intelligible.

The BPA Code of Practice states that- “You must place signs containing the specific parking terms throughout the site, so that drivers are given the chance to read them at the time of parking or leaving their vehicle. Keep a record of where all the signs are. Signs must be conspicuous and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand. Signs showing your detailed terms and conditions must be at least 450mm x 450mm. “

There were no conspicuous signs throughout the site, and the signage contains texts so small as to be unintelligible, furthermore I put Euro car Parks to strict proof otherwise, As well as a site map they must show photographs of the signs as the driver would see them on entering the car park bearing in mind that they may be completely unfamiliar with the area, the approach to the car, the entrance to the car park, or the layout of the car park. A Notice is not imported into the contract unless brought home so prominently that the party ‘must’ have known of it and agreed terms. If the driver did not notice any signs; there was no consideration/acceptance and no contract agreed between the parties. Furthermore as stated (point #4) a suitable grace period must be allowed for the driver to find a suitable parking space, find the signs containing the parking terms, (should they be easily located), decide whether to accept these terms and leave the car park in a safe manner.

Furthermore the driver has not been identified and I have no obligation to assist an operator in this regard, even if I was certain which of several drivers could have used the car that day. As liability for this charge depends entirely upon this operator fulfilling all requirements of Schedule 4, it is mandatory that the driver(s) are unambiguously and clearly informed of terms and the parking charge itself:

(3) ''For the purposes of sub-paragraph (2) “adequate notice” means notice given by — (b)...the display of one or more notices which—

(i) specify the sum as the charge for unauthorised parking; and

(ii) are adequate to bring the charge to the notice of drivers who park vehicles on the relevant land.''

In fact, their signs are not visible from a car seat before parking and the words are completely unreadable and incapable of forming a contract before the act of parking (it is trite law that afterwards - after parking in this case - is too late).

The sign also breaches the BPA CoP Appendix B which effectively renders it unable to form a contract with a driver.

The sign is also incapable of creating any 'relevant obligation' or 'relevant contract' being the basic requirements leading to the possibility of 'keeper liability' under Schedule 4 of the POFA.

In the Beavis case, the Supreme Court Judge concluded that signs must be in 'large lettering and prominent' and very clear as to the terms by which a driver will later be bound.
  • catfunt
    catfunt Posts: 624 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I suggest you PM Crabman and ask him to merge your threads - keeps things tidy and gives your questions some context. One case - one thread.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Three threads have been merged :)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi Coupon Mad

Yes it was a free car park with a time limit and it was an overstay. So are you saying that the Beavis case relates to a Pay & Display ? There is so much information that its easy to become confused even though the Newbies thread is very clearly laid out

No. The Beavis case was an overstay in a free car park - just like this - so you can't use point #3. Keep up!

Why not simply search the forum for 'Euro POPLA' and copy one from the past couple of months - would have been a lot easier for you and you wouldn't have picked up any wrong templates.

However, apart from removing #3, the rest looks enough to see off ECP, as they don't like wasting time on long POPLA appeals. Submit it as a PDF uploaded under OTHER on the POPLA website (only 'other').

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks Coupon-mad - i do appreciate the time that you've looked over this and thanks for your suggestion ! I'll search through today and hopefully post the final, final full version this pm !!
  • Adzenca
    Adzenca Posts: 21 Forumite
    this has been a really interesting read!
  • Adzenca wrote: »
    this has been a really interesting read!

In what sense, Adzenca ?
  • Addition of ANPR defence after reading recent successful POPLA Appeal by another forum user for the same ECP car park and for a similar overstay on free car park. Worth adding ??

· [FONT=&quot]The ANPR system is unreliable and neither synchronized nor accurate[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Euro Car Parks evidence shows no parking time, merely photos of a car driving in and out which does not discount the possibility of a double visit.
    The 'two visits recorded as one' problem is very common and is even mentioned on the BPA website as a known issue:
    .britishparking.co.uk/How-does-ANPR-work
    The BPA says: ''As with all new technology, there are issues associated with its use:
    Repeat users of a car park inside a 24 hour period sometimes find that their first entry is paired with their last exit, resulting in an ‘overstay’. Operators are becoming aware of this and should now be checking all ANPR transactions to ensure that this does not occur.''

Since I am merely the registered keeper, I have no evidence to discount the above possibilities. As Euro Car Parks are relying on images that do not show the vehicle being parked, this could easily be a case of two visits, or if my vehicle was on site for the time shown, I suggest that it may well not have been 'parked' for more than an hour and a half.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    The provision of the images does not indicate that the vehicle was parked for that specific time. The car park in question is known to be busy, and as such the vehicle in question may have been waiting for a suitable space. Euro Car Parks should therefore provide strict proof that the vehicle was parked for the times stated, and not merely in the car park. They should also provide strict proof that no double visit occurred.

This Operator is obliged to ensure their ANPR equipment is maintained as described in paragraph 21.3 of the BPA Code of Practice and to have signs stating how the data will be stored/used. I say that Euro Car Parks have failed to clearly inform drivers about the cameras and what the data will be used for and how it will be used and stored. As stated in the point above, since the signage was so poor this has not been clearly brought to the attention of the driver.
    I have also seen no evidence that they have complied with the other requirements in that section of the code in terms of ANPR logs and maintenance and I put this Operator to strict proof of full ANPR compliance.

In addition I question the entire reliability of the system. I require that Euro Car Parks present records as to the dates and times of when the cameras at this car park were checked, adjusted, calibrated, synchronised with the timer which stamps the photos and generally maintained to ensure the accuracy of the dates and times of any ANPR images. This is important because the entirety of the charge is founded on two images purporting to show my vehicle entering and exiting at specific times.

In addition to showing their maintenance records, I require Euro Car Parks to show evidence to rebut the following assertion. I suggest that in the case of my vehicle being in this car park, a local camera took the image but a remote server added the time stamp. As the two are disconnected by the internet and do not have a common "time synchronisation system", there is no proof that the time stamp added is actually the exact time of the image. The operator appears to use WIFI which introduces a delay through buffering, so "live" is not really "live". Hence without a synchronised time stamp there is no evidence that the image is ever time stamped with an accurate time. Therefore I contend that this ANPR "evidence" from the cameras in this car park is unreliable.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    No, I don't suggest anything about ANPR - that's really old.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hello Everyone

My friends at ECP have now sent me the POPLA appeal pack back. To my very untrained eye - it all looks very standard and cut and paste job.

For example, they have given examples of "gladstones compliant NTK" - I didnt appeal anything about a non-compliant NTK !!

Theyve also sent pictures of my car (def my car) with my reg on it arriving and leaving the ANPR monitored car park as well as a load of signage and a map of the signage.

This has been emailed to me this afternoon - can anyone help with next steps please ??

Many thanks !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport