Conservatory fitting issue

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    keith969 wrote: »
    You probably don't want to hear this, but... if I'd seen that drawing I would have been rather worried about the change of level of brickwork at the two ends of the wall contains the door. Why have it in the first place? And if it was necessary, how would the sills join at the corner - there's no obvious way it can be made to look 'right'?

There isn't a change of level at 2. as shown; it's just a sloppy drawing by the surveyor.

The idea of having a higher wall around the porch was to make it visually separate from the conservatory and because it's a utility area. We need the space at lower level for shoe racks etc. There's an internal wall between it and the conservatory for coats etc to be hung. This is a smallholding, so lots of boots, grotty coats etc.

But I get what you say about it looking not great at the point where we have the problem. I agree with Dafty that a fill piece could maybe have been used in the corner.
  • Davesnave
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    looking at the 3d, why didn't you just have a cill lining through all around?
    its a really strange detail to step it up when the two return walls have lower windows - I cant think of anyway to make that a nice detail with a standard conservatory, what does the outside corner look like (between 2 and 5)?
    As above, only the one return wall is at a different level, so the sill on the opposite corner goes right around without dropping.

Sorry, but the crap drawing isn't mine. The roof is also wrong. Apart from where the 3 roof windows are, the glass runs from front to back in one piece.....and the roof isn't black!
  • Davesnave
    phil24_7 wrote: »
    That looks poorly designed in my opinion. Having a window sill in front of a window would always look odd. If left in place you would see the end of it and would likely find it near impossible to keep clean, and having externally fitted glazing units in that window (why, has it been fitted back to front?) means that you either wouldn't have been able to fit an end cap, the glass or both!
    I didn't realise there would be a projection of the sill in front of the window; I just thought they'd use a thicker frame profile and it would fit into that....because I'm not a designer.

The window is fitted back to front?? I'm not clear what you mean.

I would have kept the sills the same height all the way around (is there a reason you didn't?) Yes, see above. and would probably have had the top of the frames the same height all the way around with either a small window above (in the bit by the door and on the end next to it) or more likely a piece to match the triangle on the dogleg (the bit in black if you get what I mean?). That 'triangle' looks wrong and it's not there, because they've omitted the opening window, probably because the surveyor thought it looked wrong too. I see that now , so I no longer want the window, but it would be nice if this sort of thing was explained. There is no communication. Thanks for alerting me.

Where you go from here, I don't know, but that detailing needs serious consideration.
  • Davesnave
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    I'm wrong about a high traffic area at least - I had that as a door on the right, not a window.

I'm not sure how else to fix it, now it's built like that; I guess a small extra filler to the window on the right, to push the frame further right might have been better. But the way it's been done is far from satisfactory.

Yes I think a filler could have worked there. We never had a proper chance to discuss this tricky bit. Communication has been the weak point throughout.

Having spent many hours tweaking kitchen designs on CAD, with great results, we were staggered to find only primitive design tools being used, with no chance to sit down and discuss 1:1. :(
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 December 2016 at 9:29AM
    If it were an external corner, it would have a upvc pillar. Something similar is required here. This is, in effect, a window a to a window join.

Imagine that on an external corner, and you see the problem. The height difference is a red-herring. The problem is caused by faulty design and construction.

However, in their defence (Yipes!), it IS shown on the plan as it's been built....

Edit to add... The lack of a vertical strut also makes that corner structurally very weak.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Davesnave wrote: »

You would normally fit double glazed units from the inside so the beads cannot be removed (unlikely I know) from the outside. I'm not sure if this holds true for conservatories but I con't see why it should be any different.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    You would normally fit double glazed units from the inside so the beads cannot be removed (unlikely I know) from the outside. I'm not sure if this holds true for conservatories but I con't see why it should be any different.

Some systems do still fit from the outside. Less secure, but it's not necessarily an error....
  • Davesnave
    If it were an external corner, it would have a upvc pillar. Something similar is required here. This is, in effect, a window a to a window join.

Imagine that on an external corner, and you see the problem. The height difference is a red-herring. The problem is caused by faulty design and construction.

However, in their defence (Yipes!), it IS shown on the plan as it's been built.....

In my defence, it's their plan/drawing, so if they designed that detail badly, it's their fault, not mine.

I'm a customer, not a conservatory or window installer. That diagram was being used to make our requirements re windows etc clear, not as a structural design tool, as we are not designers.

However.....there IS a pillar there; it's an aluminium reinforced pillar so I guess structurally OK, just not shown on their diagram.

I told you the diagram is crap. I told them it was crap too, but they replied that they hadn't any better software. :(

Anyway, your comment is still v helpful. As there is a pillar, I really can't see why they couldn't carry the sill straight through....and you're confirming what I think...except that they probably didn't have a spare sill, and we're out in the sticks, so they bodged the wrongly manufactured one they had.

Well, it'll cost them.....
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

However, in their defence (Yipes!), it IS shown on the plan as it's been built....

Edit to add... The lack of a vertical strut also makes that corner structurally very weak.

There looks to be a PVCu corner on top of the wall, else the 2 windows would only be touching at the corners.
  • Davesnave
    Security isn't a huge issue here. People steal sheep, chain saws in sheds and other's wives/partners, but burglary is quite rare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure